I've neglected both of my tank journals as of late - had a bit of a dilemma with my 46g, which in turn slowed down my progress with my other tanks. So be prepared for a BIG update! Lots has happened!
Here's the story...
Went to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. Tank was going well, levels looked good, fish and plants looked healthy.. figured it would be good for two or so days. I dosed my ferts before leaving, had a fun and filling Thanksgiving dinner. Came back home, turned the tank's light on to a tank full of dead fish
Turns out my CO2 tank was close to empty, and because I was procrastinating hooking up my dual-stage reg, it dumped and my poor fish were the ones who suffered. Spent over an hour fishing my 24 Cardinals, 8 Rummies, and other various fish out. Only 4 otos survived, which is surprising since they're somewhat sensitive!
This whole fish massacre ended up leading to some weird algae problems that I'm still overcoming. At first, some plants were growing this nasty, brown, slimy hairball-looking algae. I could siphon that stuff out, but it'd come back. It's gone now, no idea how.
My current issue - green thread algae! This stuff is so annoying! It's not so easy to pull off of the plants, and it grows back even if I pick every piece off! I think it doesn't help that I have hardly any fish in here lol. I've reduced my photoperiod, upped CO2 slightly, and spot dosed Excel (I need to try H2O2 but I don't have any on hand). I've heard black mollies may help. My new SAE (or Flying Fox? Same thing?) isn't touching the stuff.
After finally getting the tank cleaned up, I decided to rescape a bit and am picking new fish this weekend. Photo of new scape coming soon after my plants from sjb1987 arrive. It'll be a dutch scape for sure, just trying to get my plant choices and arrangement right.
Equipment-wise, I hooked up my dual-stage reg (Praxair Prostar).. not making the mistake of using a single-stage again! Also assembled and hooked up my co2 reactor. So much nicer than the "atomizer" I had. Still get some small bubbles but way less than before. Don't ask how, but I managed to fit a 5lb co2 tank, 2" reactor, and an Eheim 2217 into the tiny compartment the stand tries to pass as a cabinet. I'll have to take a photo of the stuff jammed under there! It's so cramped.
- 2x Angelfish
- 2x Rams (Electric Blue or Gold, undecided.. maybe even Kribs instead)
- 10-12 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (Currently have 6 - bought recently just to have some life lol)
- 10-12 Emperor Tetras
- 6-8 Panda Cories
- 1 Flying Fox
- 1-3 Black Mollies (to combat random algae and biofilm)
Very excited to get this tank back up and running! And I promise I'll have photos up this week! Just too tired to take them right now :p