40 gallons the long way - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It has been a busy week for me. I slipped up on a BBS feeding for the ram fry and they died off... But the spawn before are about a month old and dime size so it isn't a big loss.

I may have went over board on a buying spree on this forum. I'm waiting on some osmocote root tabs, EI dry ferts and plants plus some shrimp food.

I'm not sure how many of the plants will end up in this tank but here is the list:
Pogostemon Erectus
Crypt Parava
Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
Myriophyllum Mattogrossense

July 26

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I took your advice and have some EI dry ferts on the way. I'm still new to the fert. system but I think I can figure it out, even if it is the hard way.
When I ordered the dry ferts, I did order some gh booster. Hoping that is what you meant by remineralizing the RO water....

I'm thinking that this will benefit the stem plants most. The red ludwigia trimmings are starting to brown. I'm not sure if this is because of the RO water or because they sat in a bucket for a few weeks before planting. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated the light/CO2 issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
Do you use any remineralizer with the ro water? Are you not having algae issues? That is a lot of light with no ferts. The dry ferts are a ton cheaper. I did liquid and i switched to dry ferts not long ago. I will never go back. As far as which ones to use, check out the sticky in the fertilizer section of this forum. If you look back through the for sale section you will find someone on here that sells them in package form. Read, read, and read some more. Good start!
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The red ludwigia I had in the back center was starting to brown despite great root growth and previous new stem growth. I'm not sure why but it was removed to make way for some new plants.
Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
Pogostemon Erectus
Limnophila aromatica

I also started an EI dosing regiment of dry ferts today. Curious to see how it will help all the new stem plants.

August 2

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

What a great tank size. I love long tanks.

Get some hardscape in that thing!
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twillz View Post
What a great tank size. I love long tanks.

Get some hardscape in that thing!
There are two rocks and a few manzanita branches. What else did you have in mind? I always appreciate criticism and suggestions!
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have been experimenting with the white balance on my camera. Please check out the last two pictures and let me know which looks better based on coloration!
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
There are two rocks and a few manzanita branches. What else did you have in mind? I always appreciate criticism and suggestions!
A large/tall piece of driftwood on the right side would help obscure some of that equipment, and add additional layered planting space for some anubias or mosses. Though, if you want to stick with the thin manzanita pieces you could accomplish the same with some taller plants.

I'm a big fan of tanks that are generally valley-shaped, with lots of activity on the left and right and more open space in the middle. To me, that gives an illusion of depth. Especially in long tanks where you can't rely on tank height to give you any open space feeling.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I cleaned the glass and went back to the auto white balance on the camera.

August 4

Left hand side

Right hand side

Really impressed with the staurogyne repens starting to fill in from how ratty it was when I got it.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm sold on the EI dry ferts I got. The growth is explosive on the stems and it even seems like the staurogyne repens is beefing up.

August 13

Left

Right

Staurogyne Repens
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The persicaria kawagoeanum is one of the nicest looking plants I've ever had. The pink and the green combined on it is great. Thanks to Adam C on the site for recommending it when I got the L. Aromatica from him. His plants are stellar.. so check him out on the for sale section.
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Staurogyne Repens is quickly becoming one of my most favorite plants. The color on it is lighter brighter green then most other plants which makes it pop. I can literally see it getting bushier, fuller and spreading by the day.

Aug 20

post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The hair algae in this tank was starting to really take over and annoy me. I got a bit desperate and dumped about 8oz of hydrogen peroxide into the tank. It already seems to have done its job and then some. The tank is much clearer and there is less visible algae. I may have also killed the an otto, stargrass and some of the baby tears as well. This is a trade off i'm okay as long as it kills all the hair algae and no other variety of plant.

What I'm really asking is if there is a forumula for the correct H2O2 dosage. I'm looking for ounces/gallon that would be safe for plants/fish/inverts.

Aug 20 - after the h2o2 bleaching

post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

It looks like between 1 and 4 tablespoons per 10 gallons is the "right" dose of H2O2, depending on how careful versus aggressive you want to be. There are a variety of doses and results reported in this thread: The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment

I'd probably stay with the lower end of the spectrum if I weren't going to do the big ol' 50% water change (which didn't seem like much when I had 10 and 20 gallon tanks, but now that I'm rocking a 50 gallon seems overwhelming). Did you do any sort of water change after dumping in H2O2? I'm trying to plan my attack on my own hair algae while doing as little water-changing as possible, so I look forward to hearing about your experience.

That said, I hadn't even noticed any hair algae in your photos. Your tank is lovely, and is really coming along swimmingly (ha!). Those dry ferts really made a difference!
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melooley View Post
Those dry ferts really made a difference!
Dry Ferts have seem to be the game changer when it comes to stem plants. They have always been spindly/barely surviving to flourishing since the addition of the ferts. Check out my next post to see how the hydrogen peroxide has affected the tank.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It has been a week since I treated the tank with a heavy dose of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). The reason why I treated the tank was because of hair algae. It was the kind that felt slimy when pulled from the tank. The two flag fish I bought were able to take care of the hair algae on a small scale in a 10 gallon but there were not enough of them to curb its growth in my 40.

I did not measure when I added the H202 but it was about half of a bottle which would mean 8oz or 240ml.

240ml/40gal = 6ml/gal

I have seen recommended dose rates as low as 2ml/gal and as high as 6ml/gal. I believe I went on the higher range.

I did a 5gal/12% water change after 3 or 4 days.

I am happy to report that the H2O2 has killed all of the hair algae and disolved most of it. The few remaining strands that are visible are a greyish clear and clearly dead. There was also some green fuzz algae on the glass that seems to have been killed/dissolved at 90% or better. It has however affected a few species of plants. Most seem to unaffected.

The following seem to be unaffected:
Persicaria Kawagoeanum
Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
Pogostemon Erectus
Limnophila aromatica
Staurogyne Repens
Anubias
Blyxa Japonica
Water Sprite

Possibly/Slightly damaged
Taiwan Moss - color seems not be slightly duller

Damaged or obliterated by H2O2
Hemianthus Micranthemoides (HM) - severely damaged and browned with some green tips
Stargrass - nearly 100% of every plant is grey/brown and wilted

No affect on GBR, Black Molly, Flagfish
1 of 12 Ottos died as a result, a few others seemed to be stressed but have since recovered.

August 27

Full tank view, water appears to be slightly cloudy. Maybe because of all of the dead/dissolved algae/plant material

Right side. Shows the decimated star grass

Middle

Close up of the baby tears (HM). They weren't the greatest before but had no chance with the hair algae covering them. I couldn't remove it physically from the delicate stems.

In my experience H2O2 can and will kill anything in the right amounts. I once soaked an anubias (thickest leave/stem plant I can think of) for 15 minutes in H2O2 and it chemically burned it to death. Thinner more delicate plants like foreground plants and stargrass are more susceptible.
Algae in nearly every form I have seen is the most susceptible to H2O2. That is why I feel like it is a practical and effective treatment

Hope this info helps to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Tvadna; 08-28-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode