Back to the story!
For a while I had been planning on saving up for a 75g Deep Blue rimless tank setup, having recently moved into a condo and having the space for a large tank. However, an ad for a rimless 45g tank and stand popped up on Craigslist for $75 one day, piquing my interest because it was such an odd rimless tank size. After contacting the seller he sent me this picture
Needless to say I picked it up after work
A few weeks ago, more Craigslist searching got me a pair of FX5's. The issue arose from the design of the Osaka 155 stand, which has a center support and doesn't fit the FX5. I removed it, with concerns that the center would start to sag. Furthermore, the side walls are overhung such that they are not directly over the base, which means the center support was doing much more work than in your typical stand.
A few weeks later, I finally got around to creating the interior support I wanted for the stand. I used spare 2x4's leftover from various projects, and came up with this. Everything is screwed to everything. There is enough room in front of the front supports to fit some sort of CO2 reactor on one side, and a powerstrip on the other. There isn't much horizontal room anymore due to the 2x4's, but the 5lb tank is the only other big thing left to go in, so I'm not too concerned. It doesn't seem like it from the picture, but there is plenty of vertical clearance for the aquastop valves and tubing coming from the FX5
The small 2x4 spacer serve to create a channel for routing wires/tubing, as well as getting the vertical legs over the base, as seen here.
After about an hour of shimming, the top finally went on (along with half a bottle of Gorilla Glue)
The next stage was to remove the top aluminum trim. I noticed early on that it didn't appear to be structural, and was simply siliconed on. As it turns out, there is actually a layer of black paint beneath the silicone (presumably to cover up bubbles), which took a bit more scraping to get off, especially in the corners as the glass is flared out at the very top edge due to the bend. After many razor blades, I finally got everything cleaned up (for anyone doing this, replace razor blades OFTEN, it helps a TON)
Much cleaner! I left the bottom rim on because I don't mind it as much (since it's not blocking the transition to air or anything), plus the silicone at the bottom reaches up to the same height as the band anyways. Next stage will be spray painting the stand in some sort of dark textured gray, if I can find it. Then, it's onto building the light hangers out of conduit piping.