Tank finally flooded! I should really have waited another week or so for the fissidens to fully root, but I started getting impatient, my anubias petite were not doing so well, and mold was starting to take over despite my H202 treatments. Surprisingly, very little fissidens came off the wood, but we'll see in a few days when the yogurt dissolves off the moss.
A few finishing touches remain. I will be putting marsilea minuta in the right front corner, and staurogyne repens in the back left corner.
The flow from the FX5 seems perfect. It's a ton of volume, but not a lot of velocity so nothing really gets blown around. It's still a little noisy despite multiple purges to remove air, so I'm hoping that there's no air leaks in the plumbing I've made.
Sorry for the crappy Iphone pictures! I will be getting a DSLR soon.
Cabinet still a bit messy, but I will organize the cables as needed later on
I think once the stauro and marsilea are in, and the java fern + fissidens grows out some, the tank will look a little more balanced. I was hoping for more of a bushy look for the ferns but they are all vertical atm
Added in a white foamboard background, about an inch behind the window film.
The whole setup looks great. Really like the stand, and hanging lights. What did you use to hang the lights. I went to lowes the other day to see what I could find, and didnt have any success. Im looking specifically for the 2 poles you used.
Andrew - Sorry for the late reply. I used 3/4" EMT conduit pipe, bent with a standard pipe bender. I gave it a brushed stainless steel look with a coarse sanding block, then sprayed the pipes with a clearcoat. The back is just attached with standard conduit pipe clamps. All of the wires are run through the inside of the conduit pipe, so it's hidden.
Either the new Aquasoil doesn't leech as much ammonia (as I've been reading) or the DSM took most of it out, but with no ammonia readings and a seeded filter, I ordered my fish from Msjinkzd. Pictures in a few days after the amanos and otos clean up the brown algae/fungus
Also added some marsilea minuta and Belem hairgrass to the sand foreground. We'll see how they do without root tabs and such.
Very nice scape! I really like what you did with the plumbing, quite well thought out!
Thanks, it was a bit of a learning experience for me!
Update: Just got back from my 2 week trip to China for work and boy was I in for a surprise. In my absence, the CO2 ran out, and my DIY Arduino autodoser added almost twice as much ferts as I had planned (my fault, only had a day to test before I left). The container of Flourish also congealed into an almost gel-like substance, which was odd. As a result, almost all of the sand was covered in a thick layer of brown, stringy substance (Didn't look like diatoms. Rhizo? Fungus? Not sure why it was only growing on the sand though), along with mixed patches of BBA and what may be clado on the java fern and anubias. Such a depressing sight.
On the plus side, all the fish and shrimp seem fat and happy. The fissidens and mini fissidens also grew in quite a bit too.
I manually removed most of the brown stuff, and plan on doing a H2O2 + Excel treatment later this week to handle the rest
Plants are growing in nicely (but slowly, as planned). The new needle leaf java fern that's growing in is quite different from the original I bought, and I think the height will be perfect (the original stuff reached the surface and curved over)
The algae mess is mostly cleaned up thanks to increased CO2, manual removal, and the two step H2O2 + Excel treatment. I also added 3 long fin diamond blue rams. Unfortunately, the male refused to eat anything I offered, and is slowly wasting away. I don't think he has much longer. Not sure what's wrong :/