So the 8.7g became a bit of a problem. The tank is not in the most desirable conditions. It has a bit of a slant to the right, due to the glass alignment. It's been holding water for the last week. Although I'm not happy about it, we are going to use the tank anyways. This is going to be my wife's project with input from myself. She's picked out everything so far.
I showed her all of the "tank" options and she opted for the dirt method. So this weekend we picked up some organic soil and I spent some time sifting the soil. It needs one more go and the soil will be ready. She picked out some malaysian driftwood from Olathe Pets. They are sitting in a bucket right now. We ordered a stand from Nebraska Furniture mart last night. Expected delivery date is 03/08/2014. Once we get the stand here, we will decide where we think the tank will look best. So far she's picked out some Stargrass and sunset hygro to go in it. I don't think we will be doing any carpeting plants. She's wanting simple and clean. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited that she's taking an interest in my hobby and has gone full steam with this project. I will snag some progress photos later this week.