My projects journal: tanks, wabi kusa, house plants, diy - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What is this. I've tried matching a pitcure but I can tell. Its not black so I'm ruling out bba. My nitrates are in the 40-60 range. I'm slowly switching the tank from straight r/o to a blend of tap. I'm still dosing excel. This tank is not seeing pressurized co2 until I have the basics down on the 29. As the fish loss would be much less in it. My goal is to stuff it with various stems, fast growing until I have enough growth to out compete the algae.

I'm dosing 5ml of kno3 and kh2po4 sun, tue, thur

5 ml of csm+b mon, wed, fri

Sat off with water changes on sunday. Between 10-15g.

It gets between 2-3 gallons of top off r/o throughout the week since we turned the heater on.

I have a feeling its due to swings in co2, it gets 5ml daily around 8am, lights are on from 12:00 to 8pm, some minor sunlight but its dim.

Thanks to those who follow this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Algae Grower

40-60 ppm of nitrates is way too high I believe. You should do larger water changes.
post #33 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Continuing the pursuit of the perfect tank. I want to dangle some drift from the top of the tank. I'm torn on mixing driftwoods. I can't find a mopani that I like. I've always been a fan of manzanita, but unsure of how it would look mixed.
post #34 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

They are showing more color and actually eating from top of the tank now. They love swimming around the left side through the driftwood.
post #35 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Pulled a late night last night and messed with the tank. Cleaned the hoses, and man was that mess in the kitchen. Replaced the filter pads and got it flowing again. I had a bunch of left over packing paper. So I put together a new bacground.

Still need to move the air stone over and move the heater to the rear.
post #36 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

looking good!
post #37 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I planted these as top cuttings a week ago. They were about 5 Inches tall, right below the driftwood. Took these tonight.

The macrandra has woken up, I have several pink stems ( don't know the correct term) growing off the main stem. These seem to be rather slow growing. They have had about a month to root.

post #38 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I could not pass these two up yesterday. I attempted to place them in the 29g with riko, but that didn't work out very well.

I welcome nova and nebu to the community.

I put them in yesterday afternoon. They are fitting in fine. Sticking together and swimming with the tetra.
post #39 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I spent some time observing behavior with the addition on nova and nebu (still not sold on this, help me out)

For the last 24hours Sebastian has stuck to his right sidr divet he's made home. Here, well in my head is the exchange I just watched that went down between nova and Sebastian.

Middle mopani piece, nova on the front side, Sebastian on the back.

Sebastian: (swims up) looks, sup
Nova: same thing

Both swim down

Sebastian: (su) fin, sup
Nova: oh you got fin, I got fin, bam

Repeat for about 5min untl Sebastian "flex'd" on him.

N&N have been doing a little bit of chasing, and they keep raming the dwarf sag and get confused when it moves. Im hoping the chasing will lessen a bit once they settle in.

Last edited by Italionstallion888; 11-19-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: im an idiot
post #40 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So that experiment failed. N&N were just to pushy for the Bolivians. So riko from my 29g joined the community. N&N now have the 29g to chill out in. Riko sticks to the top on his betta hammock. Worked out well all around.
post #41 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Riko has joined the ram community tank.

I moved these two guys into this tank.

Nova and Nebula

Great contrast against the green.
post #42 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like this tank a lot better without the blue sand. The driftwood is also a pleasant addition. It's too bad the rams couldn't get along. Maybe the next time you move plants and driftwood/rocks around, disturbing the current territory, might be worth a shot to try again.
Nice to see your stems are growing. I just added a bunch to my 55. I'm hoping they'll start growing quickly.
post #43 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm really happy with how this tank has come along in the 8 or so months I've been really working on it.

I joined this site and went from 1 basic looking tank to 3 compeletly planted tanks in a pretty short period of time. I love the wealth of information TPT has.

I wish the rams would have gotten along. Sebastian wasn't an issue, but they were cornering my females, which are usually free swimming in the mid range. They could not leave the right side of the tank without getting chased back. All 3 of my tanks have the same water conditions. So it's easy to swap fish around. I put riko straight in and he's had zero issues. Pretty funny watching all of the tetra take turns swimming up riko to check him out. I put the betta hammock in the top left my the intake pipe. He's content.

I originally wanted the 29 to house blue rams, but went with the betta as a "place holder" while the tank was establishing and I finished the scape. The orange/yellow they have right now looks great with all the green the 29g has.

The dwarf sag is spreading very quickly on the left side of the tank. No so much on the right but the crypts are growing pretty steady. The star grass I added from the 29 started to grow upwards, but within the last week they have all fallen to the substrate and look pretty bad. I'm going to give them some more time. Is there anything I can do to promote growth in my macrandra? It's growing very very very slowly compare to my other stems. My next addition will be some Italian Val, they didn't like the jungle val, I found it floating 3 times so moved it to the 29g. I think it was to big and blocking swimming paths for the rams.

I added some java moss to the mopani on the right and some taiwan on the left mopani. It's been in for 3 days and I'm starting to see some brown. I believe I pulled the last moss to early, I figured brown=dead but I should have waited a bit longer. I've read it can take a few weeks for the moss to establish. I hope to see some new green growing by next month. I've increased my water changes, my nitrate is very night 40-60ppm, I've done well over 50% of the water in the last two weeks using R/O instead of tap. My tap has 15-20ppm nitrate, doing the 50/50 tap blend shot my nitrates up from 10 to 60. So I'm going back to 80% r/o 20% tap until I can get this figured out. I know I have a pretty big fish load in this tank. I plan on adding an additional cannister filter next year. Probably another 305 or something smaller.
post #44 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Help me come up with a name for this tank. I'll post so recent shots tonight.
post #45 of 379 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

What is the appeal of the crinkled paper look versus a solid background?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode