I'm really happy with how this tank has come along in the 8 or so months I've been really working on it.
I joined this site and went from 1 basic looking tank to 3 compeletly planted tanks in a pretty short period of time. I love the wealth of information TPT has.
I wish the rams would have gotten along. Sebastian wasn't an issue, but they were cornering my females, which are usually free swimming in the mid range. They could not leave the right side of the tank without getting chased back. All 3 of my tanks have the same water conditions. So it's easy to swap fish around. I put riko straight in and he's had zero issues. Pretty funny watching all of the tetra take turns swimming up riko to check him out. I put the betta hammock in the top left my the intake pipe. He's content.
I originally wanted the 29 to house blue rams, but went with the betta as a "place holder" while the tank was establishing and I finished the scape. The orange/yellow they have right now looks great with all the green the 29g has.
The dwarf sag is spreading very quickly on the left side of the tank. No so much on the right but the crypts are growing pretty steady. The star grass I added from the 29 started to grow upwards, but within the last week they have all fallen to the substrate and look pretty bad. I'm going to give them some more time. Is there anything I can do to promote growth in my macrandra? It's growing very very very slowly compare to my other stems. My next addition will be some Italian Val, they didn't like the jungle val, I found it floating 3 times so moved it to the 29g. I think it was to big and blocking swimming paths for the rams.
I added some java moss to the mopani on the right and some taiwan on the left mopani. It's been in for 3 days and I'm starting to see some brown. I believe I pulled the last moss to early, I figured brown=dead but I should have waited a bit longer. I've read it can take a few weeks for the moss to establish. I hope to see some new green growing by next month. I've increased my water changes, my nitrate is very night 40-60ppm, I've done well over 50% of the water in the last two weeks using R/O instead of tap. My tap has 15-20ppm nitrate, doing the 50/50 tap blend shot my nitrates up from 10 to 60. So I'm going back to 80% r/o 20% tap until I can get this figured out. I know I have a pretty big fish load in this tank. I plan on adding an additional cannister filter next year. Probably another 305 or something smaller.