First attempts at planted tanks. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The green spots are almost gone! Yay for po4! Though when I dosed it I dosed .5ml which should have raised the ppm by 1 but nope, it shot up to 5. Luckily no other algae.

So the snails have found the c. balansae so tasty that they aren't falling for my lettuce, zuccini, cucumber traps. Ideas on how to catch pond snails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpedrita View Post
So the snails have found the c. balansae so tasty that they aren't falling for my lettuce, zuccini, cucumber traps. Ideas on how to catch pond snails?
Are you using Romaine lettuce? My snails wouldn't touch the zucchini, but the romaine lettuce was gone in about 2 hours.

A So. Cal. living in Cleveland.... for now.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've given them a full salad bar, including yummy csa lettuce and romaine. I only seem to get the snails I'd like to keep like the mts and ramshorn, but these little pointy pests will not go for anything. I might have to just pick them out :/
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

For your first attempts, everything is looking pretty good!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Chances are your snails are eating away at weak/dead/dying leaves (just like your mts and ramshorn), they don't really eat live healthy plants. I wouldnt worry about them.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverShark View Post
For your first attempts, everything is looking pretty good!
Thanks!
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

I use assassin snails! Only problem then, is the assassins reproducing. Hasn't been a major issue for the last year, though... I have 6 assassins in one 30 gallon tank. I always see them devouring the Malaysian trumpet snails. If ever, in the future, I need to rectify the situation, I'll buy some dwarf chain loaches, or puffers.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Chances are your snails are eating away at weak/dead/dying leaves (just like your mts and ramshorn), they don't really eat live healthy plants. I wouldnt worry about them.
That's what I thought too, but these little tiny buggers are attacking new shoots and everything. The plants don't seem to be showing any signs of distress, they aren't melting, nice bright green color. No idea why they have targeted them. Is there something I'm missing to indicate plant weakness?
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

got a closeup of the damage?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik000 View Post
I use assassin snails! Only problem then, is the assassins reproducing. Hasn't been a major issue for the last year, though... I have 6 assassins in one 30 gallon tank. I always see them devouring the Malaysian trumpet snails. If ever, in the future, I need to rectify the situation, I'll buy some dwarf chain loaches, or puffers.
That's the problem I'd like to keep the mts to churn the sand.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
got a closeup of the damage?
Here you go:
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmm, maybe others will chime in here.

But imo that looks some damaged spots that the snails cleaned out. Either way i wouldnt stress about it, the tank looks great

If they bug you then pick them out but you wont get every last one.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe. I noticed in the bottom left of the picture the beginnings of bba. Maybe the snails knew something I didn't. Thanks for asking for the close up otherwise I wouldn't have noticed.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Moving and plant melt.

It's been a while since I posted an update. Between moving and finishing my dissertation the tanks have suffered.

The wisteria melted almost completely though it is coming back. The ludwigia also looks horrible. The r. rotundifolia (behind the driftwood) and r. colorata (in front of the wood) stunted but are coming back now that I can give them some more attention. I can't tell the difference between the two, but maybe when I add more light there will be a difference, or I got something misnamed.

The crypts have melted almost completely, which might be a blessing in disguise because it gives me an opportunity to re-scape and not feel bad about uprooting the crypts and moving them to another tank.

i am thinking of taking out the crypts and leaving that area empty for the hair grass to fill in that front area. I'm also thinking of moving the R. colorata into the back left corner.

Newbie questions:
How do you keep hairgrass from suffocating the other plants? I was thinking of cutting up a soda bottle and sectioning off the substrate.

Also is there a technique to not make a big mess when I take out the plants-- I see a dirty tank in my future. Maybe I should take the fish out before I try it? What do you do to re-scape a dirt tank?
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been a while and the tank has gone through some changes. First I tore out all the crypts and wisteria and cut everything down really short. The tank looked sad.

I guess that was a month or so ago, maybe two. I haven't been doing much to the tank other than adding excel daily and adding pro-plant and iron when I change the water every two or three weeks.

Today was trim day. I had to cut both hygros down by half they were at the top of the tank. I also cut the R. colorata (on the left, though in my light they look the same as the R. Rotundifolia on the right) to make it bushier.

Notice the drop checker in the left corner? I have everything ready to start diy co2 except well, the soda bottle. Hopefully I can get everything going tomorrow.

Last edited by jkpedrita; 11-25-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Changed out picture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode