45 Gallon Startup - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
45 Gallon Startup

Hello all

Long time lurker throughout these forums. This is my first planted tank. Other tanks in the past few years included 100gal cichlid and 15gal FOWLR. Both those have been torn down. Finally settled into a new house and decided to start this one up.

tank: 45 Gallon
stand: standard
Hood: DIY pine, trim, Varathane paint black on exterior and white interior
filter: XP2 Canister
Lighting: AH supply (after reading some many good things about them) 2x55 watt (6700K & 10,000K - roughly 8 hours for now
Substrate: MVP Turfgrass ~ 3"
Rock: Some time of sedimentary - passed acid test
C02: 10lb tank - milwaukee regulator and ceramic diffuser.

Fish: 4 Amano shrimp & Male betta
Plants: bacopa sp. vallisiaria sp. red plant (help) hornwort (temporary), lilaeopis sp (foreground), another plant that has a similar "whorled" structure same as hornwort (help) and some type of cut leaf (far right) again

The tank has been set up for since last weekend (October 14, 2006). The C02 was added on the 17th and has resulted in no ill effects. I'm very happy with the cheap MVP turfgrass (50lb bag for $15 CAD). I didn't do a bit of rinsing and the tank cleared within 8 hrs.

I'm looking for comments on the set up so far. Please bear with me as its my first aquascape save putting together large piles of rocks for Mbuna to dwell. Nothing is permanent and I hope plants will eventually fill in any gaps. Please let me know what you think and maybe give my some ideas for fish stocking.

I am far from a photogragher as well

with flash

red plant

grasses apparently a slow grower

I appreciate any comments.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
This may be to soon for an update, but here is a new shot anywyas, taken on October 21, 2006.

Plants are pearling and growing nicely, I added 3 Corys and 5 red tails I believe.

Algae is slowly appearing on the glass as small circles that expand outwards. I have also noticed a signifciant amount of long curling strings of hair algae on some of the slower growing stem plants.

Any comments are still very much appreciated.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Wannabe Guru
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato
Welcome to Planted tank, first off! Congrats on a nice first setup, my first planted tank was a complete mess...

red plant (help) - I think this is a ludwigia species, but hard to tell.
similar "whorled" structure same as hornwort (help) - try checking asian ambulia, or myriophyllum species.
some type of cut leaf (far right) again : looks like cutleaf watersprite, but on the far left

What kind of fertilizers are you planning on using? the spot algae on the glass is typically a result of low phosphates. Hair algae on older leaves...well...I've got that too

I think you are off to a good start. It seems like you might have seperated the plants a little more when planting them....this helps cover more area. Using tweezers for those smaller plants really helps.

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode