My first tank :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking My first tank :)

Hi guys,

Meet my first tank . I just bought it this morning. I spent the whole last month waiting for a working eclipse system 12 but I gave up after getting two broken tanks. I went to petco this morning planning to buy a 10g tank but I couldn't control myself when I saw this tank . It's only have the java fern right now. I want to put HC or hairgrass but I can't decide which one. Can I grow java fern on glass cup or does it need nutrients from the dirftwood? I am trying to cut down on the costs . I spent a lot more than I wanted to but I am happy! yay!!!

AGA 16g bow front stand - 99.99
AGA 16g bow front fish tank - Free!
Auqatic Garden heater - 29.99
Thermometer - 2.99
Fish net -2.49
Aquaclear filter -26.99
Coralife power ceter - 19.99
Tetra aquasafe water treatment - 5.59
Eco complete - 22.99
Java fern - 3.59
Shipping - 11.99
TOTAL - 226.6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Congrats - now you just need more plants to get you started!!! Why don't you post a list of species you're interested in and I'm sure someone will speak up and help you find them.

As for that java fern, it would do much better attached to wood or rock. It isn't that it gets nutrients from the wood, its more that it likes its roots and rhyzome exposed. A burried rhyzome has a tendency to rot.

Circle City Aquarium Club (Indianapolis) - VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

congrats!

that looks just like my tank... cept mine is 26gal
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats!! Welcome to the PT bug..

A bunch more plants an you will be smilin..Before ya know it you'll have a few tanks kickin around, if not a big one!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
Congrats!! Welcome to the PT bug..

A bunch more plants an you will be smilin..Before ya know it you'll have a few tanks kickin around, if not a big one!
too too true.

as for what jen said I would second that! people always have too much of "some plant" so when you know what you want let a list out and I'm sure the members can help!

- Fish Newb
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Er, how many watts is your light? It looks purple/blue (actinic), but it could just be the angle...for HC/glosso, you might want a little higher light, maybe ~2WPG for good growth.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

Well this is how it all starts, one plant trying to make it live. Then BOOOOM. Don't get me wrong, this is an AWSOME hobby. But, I'm sure, the one plant in the empty tank reminds us all of the beginning. Keep us all updated, ask questions, and welcome to a very supportive, creative community. Your off to a good start.

-ADA mini s- 29g low tech -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. It feels super nice to own a tank, it's place near the door and I look at it everytime I go in/out of the house . I went to the fishstore to buy a swordtail fish to cycle the tank but I end up buying a harigrass and 5 rhasbora. I knew I shouldn't buy the fishes but they looked so pretty and I asked the guy if I could cycle the tank with these fishes. He said yes so I bought 5 of them. And now one of the fish is dying and having a hard time swimming . It's not eating and I don't think it's gonna make it tomorrow... Most of my hair grass are dying too, almost all of them have rotten tips. Can they live with 4.5 hours aday of 19Watts light pluse some indirect light from the window?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

load the thing up with plants so they can handle the NH4 those rasboras will put out.... *sigh* ahh the LFS....to sell a fish.

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

its either there just rotting a little from being new to your tank or you need more light now you only have about 1.2wpg since u have 19 watts over 16 gallons 4.5 hours deffinitley isnt enough your supposed to do at least 8 or more hours a day

~29gallon Freshwater tank~~~~~~~~
~~10Gallon Freshwater planted tank~~
~~~10Gallon Saltwater reef tank~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~ Michael ~~~~~~~~~
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I woke up this morning and found that fish dead on the bottom of the tank . I think one more fish is dying too. Its dorsal fin is not stretch out like it used to like the others. It's my fault...I didn't want to believe in cycling the tank . I knew I shouldn't buy the fishes but I asked the guy anyway so that I could buy it . Most of the hairgrass has small rotten tips when I bought them but it's only two days old in my tank and they are dying so quickly. About one third of the stems are totally brown and they rest have large rotten tips. Should I do a small water change every other day to cut down the ammonia?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
That is a hotly debated point, but here's my $0.02:

Don't do the water changes. Ammonia is required to cycle a tank without a high plant load. Once the ammonia reaches a certain level it will start being converted into nitrite and then once the nitrite spikes it will start being converted into nitrate. Once NH3 and NO2 are zero, then your tank is cycled. I think water changes early on (or using ammonia-removing chemicals) only prolong the process of cycling.

This logic doesn't hold true for tanks with Aquasoil, as it produces a lot of extra ammonia on its own.

Circle City Aquarium Club (Indianapolis) - VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank is in pretty bad shape , everything is dying including the java fern. Only two fishes left and one has a mold on his fin. Hairgrass are rotting slowly and java fern is turning yellow even with 8 hours light a day with 77'F. I just added the wood today, there are some white thing on the wood and it won't go away after rubbing and boiling... I also replaced the heater because the other one keep heating at 80F even after I turn it down.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

Ya I know the fealing. Since you have room for it I would get a retro fit light kit for your tank if you want to plant it. They all say 2.5w per gallon atleast. And co2 kit helps (a ton). I am like you and do not have the light I need and most my plants died or close to it. I now have co2, florish liquid, 36w of light and good substrait(aka gravel but its not). I need more light bad. I am buying another 36w light kit and have to build a hood for them to go in. I let my tank cycle for 3-5 days before I put plants in and the let them sit for 5-6 days and then bought fish. Now 1 month later most my plants are dead. But more light will help and I am buying low watt plants. Some plant do not require as much light as others. I should have 72 watts when new lights are installed. Still only will be around 2 watts per gallon. Good luck do some searches on here to find help..... Thanks Richard

BTY Very nice tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode