Hey guys, I've had my ADA 60-P tank from a previous setup for a long while but it's been empty since I had to move recently. I've been slowly working on it piece by piece over a few months and finally just got it fully set up. Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!
Here is a picture of it in it's current state (6/24/13):
This is the general idea of my layout but some stuff will change as I decide what I want in the end. The rocks were mostly just thrown in at random so those are going to be restyled soon since I've just been focusing on the rest of it for now. Also there will be moss filling in on the driftwood and rocks. Overall I'm really satisfied with how it's turning out so far and I'm excited to see it all grow in.
It was a long process to get it to this stage and I have a few pictures to document it.
The first step was to redo my cabinet. It's a DIY build and originally it had a sloppy paint job that was peeling and ugly so I decided to sand the whole thing and repaint it.
Before the paint job, including my equipment:
After the new coat of paint, empty. I really like how the light green color on the inside goes with the black outside paint.
Inside with my filter and pump set up. The filter is custom made from an aluminum storage container (time capsule kind of thing).
I redid the outside too with a flat black where before it had kind of a glossy textured black. The flash from the camera makes the paint look a little weird but it's not noticeable in normal lighting so that's good!
Ready to go!
Close up of lily pipes. I really wanted to make my own from acrylic tubing to save some money but they all turned out really sloppy, it's harder than it looks
. In the end I decided to just shell out the money to get good quality and I'm more than satisfied with that.
Brainstorming for layout ideas for the driftwood:
Getting started! These pieces of driftwood were hard to work with and I didn't want them moving around so I cut them and screwed them onto a piece of acrylic to hold them in place.
Substrate work. I made a mineralized topsoil underlay for the plants to grow in, keeping it fairly centralized since the plants are gonna be growing there anyway. I bought some nature sand from ADA but it wasn't enough to fill in so I made a buffer of pool sand between it and the soil.
And then filled in with the rest of the driftwood and plants! I wish I had gotten more pictures in between these two steps but it was a lot of work and a pretty messy procedure so it slipped my mind.
And here's a list of what's (going to be) in it!
Anubias barteri 'Nana'
Java fern regular, trident, and windelow
Fissidens fontanus on driftwood
Mini pellia on rocks
And a few mystery plants that I might find the name of later
Fauna (ideas right now):
German blue rams
And maybe a school of some small fish that I haven't decided yet.
Thanks for checking it out!
I'm excited to see how it turns out in the end and I'll keep updating as it progresses.