I accidentally bough more plants than I had room with and didn't know what to do with them. Being short on tanks and lights, I decided to set up a few emersed tubs with MTS and one of the lights from my 40b. I can honestly say this is one of the more fun problems I have had.
The goal of this set up is to grow out some crypts for my upcoming aroid tank.
Some of the crypts I got had been hit really hard by melt during shipping and they were sold to me as unknowns so I don't really know how much of what I have.
A rough guesstimate of what i have so far:
Red melon sword
Some kinda moss...not sure if peacock, christmas, or what. It isn't flame or willow or java.
c. wendtii 'red'
c. wendtii 'bronze'
c. wendtii 'green' or 'green gecko'
c. balansae 'crispulata'
c. parva (freakin' tiny plant!)
anubias barteri...a few leaf forms
anubias nana 'petite'
anubias lancelotta (unsure of ID)
pilea cardieri - aluminum plant
narrow leaf java fern
The last four are growing in a bucket thats holding up the light. The hygro and fern are not actually emersed but they're apart of the setup untill I can find a place for them.
I'm running two ~2'x3' bins with a shop light resting on top. I'm using 3" plastic planters with a 50w heater, saran wrap, and potentially an airstone.
No hydrometer yet so I can't test for humidity yet.
I was lucky enough to have already been making some MTS that was finishing up the day I got most of the plants. I had used miracle grow organics as well as some other organic potting soil. Washed/rinsed in rain water to help maintain a lower pH. I'm on well water and it comes out as liquid rock or close to it.
I added some pantyhose filled with a few fistfulls of peat and some oak leaves to help lower the pH a bit more. Some of my plants are planted in 50/50 sand/worm castings as I ran outta MTS towards the end.
Anywho...any questions and especially comments/critiques are encouraged.
I'm especially curious to know if I should be running the airstone or not. I don't have a misting bottle until I can make the trek into town and I don't have a hydrometer so I've been wingin' it since I set it up. Most of my crypts seemed to survive well enough and a handful were already sprouting new growth after only two days. My red melon seems to be melting but I can't think of much else to do to try and preserve it.
Oops, forgot to mention, I only have one bin heated at the moment. Need to pick up a seedling heat pad or something in the near future. An aquarium heater is out of the question as there are no pots just straight up MTS and peat.
I suppose some pictures are in order.
Almost certain I will be investing in another two or three bins to start growing carpeting plants for all my tanks and of course more crypts. This is addicting.