I (my wife) decided it'd be a great idea to get one of the 10Gs lying around and turn it into a Walstad-esque planter, so we can start the plant propagation/growth process.
Not sure why some people think I'm patient...I took the 10G I was de-rimming (after leak testing it), dumped the spare MTS I had into it (was sitting out in the garden) with the usual stuff, and it's now on my desk. It has decided to be rather cloudy - probably because in my haste I decided the gravel cap was not required.
Protip...acetone and glass cleaner do nothing to silicone. Razor blades is the only thing that worked.
My original thought on lighting...
For those who haven't browsed the MTS process...this pictorial skips over 95% of the work. So go look it up. (you people saying it's messy/time-consuming...haha you're right! but worth it)
MTS I had written off...note the regular garden soil on top, and MTS below - very dark.
Sprinkling of 'muriate of potash' (bacon bits) and dolomite.
Clomps of dirt.
I didn't get a pic of the mud part - mud and expensive cell phones do not mix - but basically just add enough water to make sloppy, break down chunkies, bring inside. Once inside, I filled it up but poured the water onto a plastic divider that was handy and waterproof. That it still got cloudy is evidence of how fine this stuff is.
Where we at
No inchworms were harmed in the making of this tank. O wait. Ya, one drowned. (trust me) Hopefully tomorrow I can get things planted. Whee. Fun evening project...
I'm sure it'll clear up by tomorrow. This tank will be 100% plants, so no need to do filtering/pumping...if you were wondering where those section headings went. If the ammonia and whatnot works out, I'd love to do a betta. I'd name it Frank.