The Planted Tank Forum banner

46 Gallon Gallery 56k Warning

7K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Jason Baliban 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Looks very beautiful but like what greenmiddlefinger had mentioned,it would have been better if more space was used for a larger rock work. Other than that,the tank looks fabulous.

#8 ·
how old is the setup? Thats some nice rock you got there
The tank is exactly 4 months old. The rock is ADA.

It's pretty good, but I think it would have been even better if less room was allocated to sand, and more had been given to fitting in larger rockwork.
This is absolutely a concern with this scape. The hard thing was that when i used ADA rock i limited myself, because i couldnt mix it with any other rock. What is more hillarious is that the rock is the left over scraps from Erin's tank, and I have to give them back in a week or two. HAHA

Beautiful tank, any future additions as far as fish go, or are you sticking with the neons?
Thank you:) The tank was set up to go from setup to picture in 4 months. I am moving in a few weeks so the tank will come down.

Really, the tank is wrong for the scape. It should be 30" wide and 18" high. But alas, that is all the rock I had to work with, and the only tank i had to do it in.

This was only my second scape and it was designed to go straight from setup to pictures without any movement of plants or rock.

Thanks to the rest of you for the great support. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if i missed one.

Thanks

jB

#11 ·
I love this scape!!!!! I really do! Can i have the plant specs?
How do you keep it so minimal and algae-free? I am afraid to go plant lean because of that

#12 ·
Thanks so much!!

The plants in this tank are...

-Hairgrass
-Dwarf Riccia - For sale HERE - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/35888-fs-mini-dwarf-riccia.html
-Anubias Petite
-Bacopa
-Downoi
-crypt

The only algae probs i have had with this tank are gsa. My tap is high in N, so i have to dose lots of P to balance it. It has been very challenging.....i dont think i really ever beat it.

I am a believer that excess nutrients do cause algae. I dose all my tanks very lean. In my opinion, i have more time to see probs in my plants and add more, then to see an explosion of algae(becuase something is off balance. Algae grows well faster then plants grow bad. IMO) and have to do 5 WC's to remove nutrients.

I wouldnt dose this tank at all if it werent for the high N in my tap.

Another key was to start my lighting at 6 hours. I start most of my tanks this way. After a month i add another hour......this tank is up to 9 hours a day. My other tank never needed to go past 7 hours and it is growing great. The shorter light makes for slow growing plants.....which is perfect for me.

wow man!
Very good!
Clean and beauty!
Just fabulous...
Thanks so much!!

jB

#13 ·
Jason, it looks good! I love the rocks! My only comment is that, photographically speaking, there's too much empty (white) space above the scape. A thought: instead of hair grass what if you planted Blyxa japonica instead? It would grow a little taller and perhaps give a little more sense of depth. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Bert H - I agree with you.... In this case it would have been great if the tank was 4" shorter. You can see by this picture how different it looks when the tank is the right height. Thanks Jay!!

sNapple - Sometimes i get out the toothbrush and clean the rocks.

Naja - Thanks!!

See you at the meeting Frank.

jB

#22 ·
This tank was kind of "what was left". I had a tank, hairgrass, and dwarf riccia. Erin from the club let me borrow the rocks. So i worked with what i had. The tank is way too big for the scape, but its still a very calm layout. I liked looking at it very much. I am glad i got some good pics before it came down.

i like it nice and neat looking
Thanks so much. It was a very clean layout from day one.

needs more neons! maybe a filter shrimp or too.. what do you have planned for fish?
Yeah.....the fish kind of went along with the whole "whats left theme". I had about 9 cards, but i wasnt going to go out and get more just for the layout when i knew i was tearing it down. I actually dont even own the tank any longer.;) As far as shrimp....there are about 40 amano shrimp in that tank;)

i like this tank a lot. it's very different from all the other "amano" tanks. i wish i can build something like this.
Im sure you could accomplish a look like this. It just takes some understanding of how plants grow. The biggest challenge is to plant the tank and let it sit. Never change anything. Just let it grow for 5 months. If its a crappy layout, just let it grow as a crappy layout. You will learn more from letting that crappy layout grow then you will be sticking your hands in the tank every month;) Patience is the hardest part of this hobby. I prefer my plants to grow as slow as possible. Most people go nuts when they dont see at least an inch of growth a week;)

jB

#19 ·
i like it nice and neat looking

#24 ·
I have some newbie questions:

1. The tank looks so clean, as in theres no filter pipe, heater or co2 setup. Did you remove these things before taking photo ?

2. Any co2 running in that tank ?

3. Did you use ADA substrate ??

Very nice tank!!! I really like it!!

Thanks

#28 ·
No trouble at all....

1 - I created seperate solutions with GW ferts. I used a triple beam balance to assure exact solution concentrations. This allows me to understand exactly what is going into my tank.

2 - I dosed enough N and P to maintain 10-15ppm of N and .5-1ppm of P. I dont test my K but I do dose it. I dosed about 3ml of TMG daily.

Thanks....let me know if you have other questions.

I know you said the tank was too big for this scape, but I really liked it with the taller look. How did I miss this one? Another sweet tank Jason. Makes me want to yank out some plants and do something Iwagumi. But I don't want to kill all my plants, LOL. Anyhow, thanks for your tips on growing and light times etc. I like lean dosing too. Now if I can get the patience thing happening.
Thanks!! I started this tank(and most of my tanks) at 6 hours of lighting. Then i slowly bring them up to the point were the plants are growing. I go for and prefer SLOW growth. So i bring the light up to a point where the plants grow healthy.

jB

#27 ·
I know you said the tank was too big for this scape, but I really liked it with the taller look. How did I miss this one? Another sweet tank Jason. Makes me want to yank out some plants and do something Iwagumi. But I don't want to kill all my plants, LOL. Anyhow, thanks for your tips on growing and light times etc. I like lean dosing too. Now if I can get the patience thing happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.