Iwagumi fluval chi converted to ADA mini - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
Home depot. Window privacy vinyl. Cut to size, peel film off, stick to glass. Down side is that you have to buy the whole roll and the white costs more than the black.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
Thanks!

Ive got some browning. But does this seem normal to you guys? I mist about 1 or twice a day. Also got lots of holes in the sarap wrap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372206054598.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	165025  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372206063455.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	165033  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372206080894.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	165041  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372206096622.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	165049  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive found browning happens by too large of clumps, acclimation (old dying off to promote new growth), and melting by excel (this specific from "anotherhobby" mr aqua 3 gallon office). It looks like there are some new runners and I bet there is a lot still working under the ground to break free.
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Ooooo I didnt realize I had runners!! Its probably because the clumps r too big and I had some puddles in the early stages of my DSM. I just hope most will stay green!!

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Do you guys think I should get another 13w ebi light? Seems like the rock is blocking the light intensity so im having to swing the light left and right after couple hours. Im not sure if another light will make my dhg grow better or will just grow an insane amount of algae..im also in the process of getting a co2 system. thoughts anyone??

post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Algae Grower

Patience my friend. DSM really test our patience. If it isn't broken don't fix it?
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuras View Post
Patience my friend. DSM really test our patience. If it isn't broken don't fix it?
+1. Just let it grow, if the backside isn't showing much signs of growth in a few weeks - then you can either transplant your good runners by the shaded areas.

Remember I told you about the bunched up DHG? well as you can see in the pictures one stem of DHG creates a bunch of runners. they are all interconnected with eachother creating kind-of a flow of nutrients to one another. They will send runners out further and further going into dark areas but not having to worry about the poor conditions because of the others supplying nutrients. When you bunch up your DHG, they are all different seedlings competing to create runners with nutrients and light. While some have great success others don't make out too well. This is why people always say break them up to 2-3 stems per plant.

Doing transplants (pulling stems and replanting them) will cause a delay as well, seeing how they have to settle and re-root themselves plus the different lighting scheme (if put closer to the shaded environment)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020056.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	166705  

Name:	P1020091.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	166713  

post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
+1. Just let it grow, if the backside isn't showing much signs of growth in a few weeks - then you can either transplant your good runners by the shaded areas.

Remember I told you about the bunched up DHG? well as you can see in the pictures one stem of DHG creates a bunch of runners. they are all interconnected with eachother creating kind-of a flow of nutrients to one another. They will send runners out further and further going into dark areas but not having to worry about the poor conditions because of the others supplying nutrients. When you bunch up your DHG, they are all different seedlings competing to create runners with nutrients and light. While some have great success others don't make out too well. This is why people always say break them up to 2-3 stems per plant.

Doing transplants (pulling stems and replanting them) will cause a delay as well, seeing how they have to settle and re-root themselves plus the different lighting scheme (if put closer to the shaded environment)
I had too much dhg and thought I had to leave 1 inch spaces so thats why I had it bunched up more. And yea, im never a patient guy but I know the dsm will be worth it since I dont want to see a flooded but bald tank... I guess medium light is good so I wont have to trim so often. Now im tempted to buy more dhg and just plant the empty spaces lol....Nice pic vermin!

post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if you live by a petsmart (dont know if canada has those) but their topfin DHG is really good. Only problem is their stupid gel attached to it but very easy to break apart and turn into bunches.

Also when transplanting existing DHG - I still like to do the 2-3 stems (break the link of them into 2-3 per bunch*) but now they are the same family bunch. This means no competing and quicker growth. Just things I've learned along the way from trying to grow DHG haha.

*also you don't have to bunch them up, you can lay them out in a line just like runners are. DSM is probably easier to do this compared to having the aquarium filled like I've been doing.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics, just documentary photos for my reference.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Hmmmm..im actually loving dsm cause i know they will grow a lot faster and spread a lot sooner..also no need for a water change!
Have you guys heard of people misting their plants with soda water during dsm to supplement co2? LOl sounds ridic but it sounds like a better idea than misting excel.

Last edited by jjt; 06-29-2013 at 10:30 PM.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt View Post
Thanks mistah for the tips about the water level!! I just soaked a bunch of paper towels at 4 in the morning!! Also completely sealed the saran wrap with little holes.

And yes, detective trix Im from Richmond!
Still undecided whether to go hob or cannister. Im thinking those small hobs wont ruin the look of the rimless tank so much..

Water, thx for feedback. Any idea whether dhg will appear "greener" if I pump co2 compared to excel?

C02 makes it look really bright green and in my opinion it's a whole lot thicker too. I actually do both. C02 and excel But I haven't had the time to get more c02......unfortunately some of my grass r starting to look depressed because I haven't used c02 for about 2 weeks now.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372620016.889266.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	167193
The luxury of c02. The other issue is algae :/

Finnex member #14
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

Still growing pretty nicely?
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt View Post
Have you guys heard of people misting their plants with soda water during dsm to supplement co2? LOl sounds ridic but it sounds like a better idea than misting excel.
There is plenty of CO2 in the air. Just make sure you have some holes poked or a corner open for air exchange. Don't use excel. It melted my plants during my DSM both times I used it. Each time set me back 4 weeks (2 week melt, 2 week recovery). That was with HC, but I wouldn't try it again.

Just don't mess with it. You can't speed it up. Just mist daily and keep it humid, but let is breath.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
C02 makes it look really bright green and in my opinion it's a whole lot thicker too. I actually do both. C02 and excel But I haven't had the time to get more c02......unfortunately some of my grass r starting to look depressed because I haven't used c02 for about 2 weeks now.. Attachment 167193
The luxury of c02. The other issue is algae :/
Yeah! Thats really one of the main reasons why im gonna go with a co2 system. And also dosing excel everyday is too much to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDopeness View Post
Still growing pretty nicely?
Not bad I think! Not really sure how well its spreading but heres an updated pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
There is plenty of CO2 in the air. Just make sure you have some holes poked or a corner open for air exchange. Don't use excel. It melted my plants during my DSM both times I used it. Each time set me back 4 weeks (2 week melt, 2 week recovery). That was with HC, but I wouldn't try it again.

Just don't mess with it. You can't speed it up. Just mist daily and keep it humid, but let is breath.
Ya I def am not messing with it. I just mist once or twice a day. Also not really sure how humid it is or whether I have enough holes or not but seems like the dhg is healthy! Any idea how long I can keep it in dsm??? Id rather wait for a thick carpet to grow faster than flood it sooner and take longer to carpet.

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

The glass doesn't look too wet in that pic. I'd say you have the right conditions in there.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
The glass doesn't look too wet in that pic. I'd say you have the right conditions in there.
LOL I just wiped it with paper towel before taking the pic but the glass normally gets wet when I mist.

Last edited by jjt; 07-07-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode