I thought I would start a journal on my community tank. Here are the specs:
- Fluval Edge 12 Gallon
- Eheim 2213 Canister Filter
- Aquatek Mini Paintball Regulator
- Up Aqua Inline Aerator
- Ikea LED Lighting (side of the tank for the HC)
- EcoComplete Substrate
- Purigen and no Carbon in the filter
- Cardinal Tetras - 4
- Guppies - 3 adults about 10 fries/adolescents.
- Red Cherry Shrimp - 10-15 (several berried)
- Assassin Snails - 2
- Various pest snails (Ramshorn, Pond, and Malaysan Turrets Snails).
- Kleiner Bar Sword
- Micro Swords
- Baby Dwarf Tears
- Myrio - Red
So far, I have had no issues with cycling and maintaining the tank. The only issue I have had is finding a suitable CO2 bubble rate to keep the shrimp sober and alive. Right now I am getting about 1 bubble per 5 seconds. I will gradually increase it as they adjust.
Although I didn't plan on this tank being a breeders tank, the guppies are breeding steadily. I give the guppies away as they grow up. I am hoping the RCS also breed at a sustainable pace. The Assassins are there to control the pest snail population. I don't mind pest snails, but I don't want an infestation.
Here is a video of the latest set up.