20L (growing HC) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20L (growing HC)

Hi tank lovers. I've been a long time lurker. I've enjoyed reading journals and the pics that are in this forum. This is my first post and journal. I would love to grow baby dwarf tears. So here goes.

Day1 - Used 2 bags of Black Flourite in a 20L. I've planted 3 pots of HC. I've decided to try the DSM and see how it does.

Week1 - Don't really see any difference. Got a new camera

Week2 - Not seeing much.

Week3 - Seeing some growth

Week4 - More growth but still slow. I had a little bit of HC in my other tank and transferred it to the front of the tank. I'd like to fill the tank... but not going to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Woot!! Looking good, redeye! Those hc clumps will take off soon! Can't wait huh. Excited for ya man.. Glad you finally decided to be out and about here on TPT. Welcome.

Cya around, redeye.

55 gallon Rainbowfish species/Harlequin rasboras community Dutch scape low-tech planted tank
60 gallon Bala shark low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/BR Parrots/ PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
Woot!! Looking good, redeye! Those hc clumps will take off soon! Can't wait huh. Excited for ya man.. Glad you finally decided to be out and about here on TPT. Welcome.

Cya around, redeye.
Thanks NeonFlux
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Forgot to mention that I have a 30" Coralife T5HO that puts out 48 watts and I leave the light on for 11 hours a day. Hopefully that isn't too much light. I've got a Manzanita branch that I will be putting in the aquarium when the HC is ready. So do you think it looks better without anything on the branches or does it look better with Java moss on it?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think it would look really nice with some moss on the branches. Also, add something in the back right end of the tank.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Sweet driftwood. I think it would look great either way, moss or no moss.

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input guys. At the moment its not even going in the tank until I fill it with water. I think I'll try with no moss and go from there as I can always add moss later
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 AM
BJK
Algae Grower

Looks great! I don't think I'd have the patience that you do! Very impressed!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week5 - looks like there's a couple of HC clumps about to merge with each other. So slow. I've been using my other aquarium water to mist my plants with.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week6.. I've decided to flood it as some of the HC was turning yellow. Decided to use my 90 gallon used water so that it would cycle faster as I was using the fish waste as well. I'm thinking this was a mistake. I also opened up my 405 fluval canister and squeezed my sponge for the good bacteria.

I had no intentions of adding any live stock to the tank but the next day I saw this and couldn't believe this. There was brown and green algae already. I'm guessing there was too much nutrients in the water ?
So I put 8 Amanos' , 9 cherries and 5 Assasin snails to counter the algae. Decided to remove the Assasins' as they were digging too deep into the substrate. You can tell by the pics where I stirred/ removed the brown algae beside the HC. Anything else I can do? Should I be reducing my light from
11 hours to maybe 8? Also my Co2 is running for 8 hours. Also added 6 Ember tetras.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

Had the same problem when I was growing my hc. Diatom attack. Ottos and amanos cleaned the tank almost overnight.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week8. After week6 I started removing the brown algae by tweezers. Spent a week battling the algae. Looks like its back to normal. Lots of growth with the CO2. I added some Hornwort, 3 Chola Cactus and Phoenix Moss. Some of the HC uprooted so I took it apart and added the small pieces around the tank.

Last edited by redeye; 06-30-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: added some info
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The hornwort will likely not stay rooted as it is more of a floating plant. It looks like your tank is progressing well.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
The hornwort will likely not stay rooted as it is more of a floating plant. It looks like your tank is progressing well.
That maybe true... but if you put enough of the plant in the substrate it will stay there.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's a tossup with hornwort, but it does tend to break apart and clog filters and create a mess... That being said, there are many instances where it stays rooted. So again, it's a tossup.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode