George's 29g tank New pics from 12/20/06 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Truly fantastic tank George. Friggin' Awesome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hubbahubba: I am a member of NJAS (only for 2 months, though).

Aquaverde: I just joined this forum, and it is a relatively new (used) camera. I'm my own harshest critic, I always see something to improve. lol

Fat boy: Thanks.
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

okay george, so what do you feel that you need to improve upon in this tank???

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok....I've never been completely happy with the right hand side of the tank. The L. aromatica needs to fill in a bit more for my liking. The Ludwigias I would actually like to replace with something that doesn't grow as fast but looks similar. Their coloring goes very nicely where they are and I would like something of a similar color to place there. I have to trim them every 3-4 days to keep that area looking nice or else it becomes quite a jungle. Any suggestions? My foreground is not evenly filled in either. I plan on taking some new pics tonight or tomorrow and have them posted by the weekend, it has obviously grown in more and been trimmed more than once since then. Plus in this picture the Ludwigia is a mess, and I have that empty spot where one stem of E. stellata would have filled it in nicely and the empty area on the right, now occupied by L. aromatica and D. diandra in place of the Tonina. Whew! So what do you think of that hubbahubba for improvements to make?
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Willms
I just joined this forum, and it is a relatively new (used) camera. I'm my own harshest critic, I always see something to improve. lol
OK, this made me go back and search threads on AB, where I found your tank shots there. I usually make a point of reading your posts, but this slipped by me. You've done one bang up job developing this tank. If I could get that kind of growth out of A. reineckii I would be a happy aquarist.

James
post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Why can't you get it to grow? What does it do for you? I found that it didn't like high iron levels. When I started out I was dosing approx 2 ml flourish iron daily, and the A. reineckii did nothing, NOTHING. I lowered dosing to 1 ml every other day to combat thread algae and BAM, it took off! Now I dose it at water change and pretty much just rely on the flourish dosing to provide the iron needed.
post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For those interested in the development of this tank look here:

{link removed, no longer valid}

Last edited by George Willms; 04-28-2015 at 05:17 AM. Reason: link no longer valid
post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

hi George, in my humble opinion, your tank isn't "green" enough, you've got nice reds, but it will look even better framed by green all over.

Also, I like the ludwigia repens. Actually I think that it could be a little bushier..

One more thing, I feel that you can see too much of the stems of the background plants. A great midground solution is pearlweed .....and it's green so you'll be adding more green...

i agree that the right side is a lil weak.... again i'm going to suggest more green plants...so perhaps asian ambulia, or stargrass, or you could balance both sides and add more pennywort to the right....

i've got a lot of other ideas but i wanted to bounce these over to you first and see what you think.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hm, iron, eh? My A. reineckii is doing just what you described- nothing. Fortunately, I've dodged the algae bullet so far with it- most of the stuff that sits too long gets algae. Also, about the only algae in this tank is thread algae. I am currently only dosing Flourish about once a week, but was doing it more often, and supplementing with Flourish iron occasionally. Everything else in the tank is growing like gangbusters. I took a large wad of glosso out to seed another tank this week, and have to trim radically about once a week. Currently, I'm making a point of keeping everything else away from the A. reineckii to give it the best conditions I can. It's such an outstandingly beautiful red plant.

James
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hubbahubba:

See! You think I can improve too! lol I already have pearlweed, it's my foreground plant. I would like to leave the reds in the middle and the greens on the edges. I like the subdued look I get with more reds than greens. My H. corymbosa is a lot more prominent on the right side now than it was. My problem with the Ludwigia is just that: I get it to look nice and bushy and then some stems grow so much faster than others and it doesn't look as nice. Right after I trim and replant them, it actually looks like a little hedge! I wish it could stay like that all the time, but I'd have to redo the stand everyday to keep it that way! That's why I asked about something a little slower growing. I'm not doing ambulia again either. That plant requires way too much maintenance in this tank. I had it in there before and literally had to trim it back every other day it grew so fast. And it starts looking leggy after a while. I took some new pics last night, I will have them up over the weekend at the latest, so you can see what it looks like now. I am interested in hearing your other suggestions also. I'm am getting some Ludwigia ovali and may use that in place of the other Ludwigias, we'll see how it goes.

Aquaverde:

It doesn't seem like too much iron to me, what is your substrate in that tank? Also, it is still one of my slowest growers. I'm glad it's slow though! I'd hate to have another plant that I had to trim a few times a week. This I usually trim every 2 weeks or so. I've only had thread algae when I was using too much iron. If I get it now my shrimp take care of it before I see it!
post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is an update from 12/10:

What do you all think this time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29g12102003-sm.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	121  

post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And the newest pic from 12/18 after a huge trim over the weekend.

The H. micranthemoides is next up for a big trim! Got an auction for it on aquabid if anybody wants some! NINaudio is my selling name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29g12182003-sm.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	122  

post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Are these real?

Awesome George... makes me want to buy a RO unit to improve the liquid rock that flows out of my tap.

To me looks perfect now... On the downside, I bet if you are away for a weekend, the plants start to push the fishies out of the water. Too much maintenance for me :mrgreen:
post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good George.

Whats above Cryptocoryne ? Is it L. arcuata ?

Regards,
Jay from www.greenstouch.com

post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

What is that on the bottom too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode