jmhk's IM Nuvo 16/Aquatop Nano Sky 7/1 Gallon Vase - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking great. Keep up the work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Went out yesterday to replace the lost ones. We now have a pod of 4 otos and a small school of 7 danios. Hopefully there are no more adventurous fools that take the least opportunity to swim the rapids.

After the tank settles for about 2 more weeks, I am going to start looking for some rili shrimp to add in (if I'm not a lucky winner of one of the fabulous RAOKs going on this week!).
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Planted Member

Can't wait to see the tank with the plants/shrimp you won.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Smile Shrimp on the way!!

Wow! I just won BHTJ's RCS shrimp and plant giveaway! Time to go get the red carpet rolled out to welcome the new arrivals. .

....Fresh spinach is growing in the garden - perhaps a nosh before bedtime? Got to sweep out the lava rock caves and turn down the covers. Maybe some nice mulberry leaves for breakfast. So much to do.....

Thanks Black Hills Tj Mike!!!!
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhk View Post
Wow! I just won BHTJ's RCS shrimp and plant giveaway! Time to go get the red carpet rolled out to welcome the new arrivals. .

....Fresh spinach is growing in the garden - perhaps a nosh before bedtime? Got to sweep out the lava rock caves and turn down the covers. Maybe some nice mulberry leaves for breakfast. So much to do.....

Thanks Black Hills Tj Mike!!!!

Good build. Looking forward to watching it develop
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

Any updates? Would love to see the rcs/plants BHTJ gave you

-- 36 gallon bowfront -- 5.5 gallon DBP --
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm still anticipating the the RCS - BHTJ had some power outage problems and needed to delay shipping 'til things settled down.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Shrimp!

35+ new citizens added yesterday! I ordered some rili peewees and malawa shrimp from Bryce. The post office messed up and delayed delivery by 30 hrs (surprise, surprise ), but they all arrived in top notch form due to Bryce's packaging expertise. After a 6 hour drip, I put them in the tank in a breeder mesh box and they all look to be doing great. I tossed in some of my algae ridden moss and they are picking through it with gusto. If all looks well after a few days, I will start releasing the larger ones into the general tank and hopefully the danios will ignore them. I'm down to three otos and just three danios now since most of the newest fish from the lfs didn't last a week and I had some jumpers (took the lid off due to heat). The remaining fish are fat and sassy.

Hope to have pictures posted soon.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fun thread to read through - i like your writing style/humor.

good luck with the tank! how is your marsilea minuta doing? i had a real tough time keeping it planted back when I used eco complete, it would just float right up.....
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My marsilea minuta is sloooowly growing. No problems with it uprooting, but I fought some hair algae for a few weeks that didn't help it any with growth. The biggest one I have have had a problem keeping down in the eco-complete is the hygrophila brown/Thai. By the time I get it in the substrate, I usually break it into multiple pieces.

I think that most of my plants from Han were probably from a high tech setup, so they are just now bouncing back from the transition to low tech. A few, Nymphoides Taiwan, stargrass and rotala Butterfly settled in quite well. The floaters went crazy so I thinned them heavily to get more light down to the rest of the tank. The rest are finally showing new growth, but they will need to grow a bit to overcome the melting. My moss is barely hanging on after the algae attack. Luckily, the shrimp munched up most of the algea and I shortened my photoperiod, so maybe it will stand a chance of bouncing back now.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Shrimp Pics!

Dripping the rili and malawa.......

Still working on getting my macro settings understood on my camera:

But with a little cropping, I got this....

Here they are in the tank, in their temporary safety net.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New Plants added - growth progression pic....

After fighting with some algae and watching some of my plants melt away while others have great growth, I decided it was time to add a few more. Received some beatiful additions from Silenced...

Lobelia Cardinalis Dwarf
Rotala Sp Colorata
Limnophilia Aromatica
Rotala Macrandra Red
more Heteranthera Zosterifolia (star grass)
Bacopa Australis
nodes of Staurogyne sp Porto Velho
Cryptocoryne wendtii brown

The Rili and Malawa shrimp are growing quickly, but lost much their color against the white breeder mesh. They did a great job of cleaning the algea out of the moss. Maybe it will have another chance to grow again. I hope to move the shrimp into the main tank soon and expect they will color up against the darker hardscape. I added a fan to keep things cool after I got tired of fighting the 90+ degree weather with ice packs in the filter box.

Here are some new tank shots as well as a progression group to show how things have changed over two months:

Full tank shot

Left end:

Right end:

Progression from May 23 to July 18:
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New shrimplets and time for a trim

Last week I started seeing the babies - let's see if the pictures show anything but little dots! They are about 2 weeks old.

Here are some of the mommas on 9/15, one heavy with berries and two others freshly re-saddled.

Two weeks later on 9/28, some babies are vying for a space on the algae wafer.

The stargrass and Taiwan lily have been going strong, so I did a trim to support starting up a new tank at work to prepare for more forays with shrimping - joined the BBRR club.

Here's a shot post trim.

Last edited by jmhk; 11-05-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: .
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Office tank - Aquatop Nano Sky 7 Gallon

I've been cycling a new tank for about 2 months at work to start to focus on improving my rili shrimp stock. New tank is a nice bookshelf size so it doesn't take up too much space on my desk. Finally added 3 otos and 18 shrimp this week. Picked out the best blue bodied red rilis that I saw (along with a couple of juvies that joined them in the netting) including 3 berried mamas. Depending on how the juvies turn out they will either stay there or go back to the main tank.

Aquatop Nano Sky 7 gallon, high clarity glass, with LED light, HOB filter.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

BBRR tank update

Population in the Aquatop Nano Sky 7 BBRR tank is up to 50+ not counting hatchlings. I've been netting out any that are more cherry than rili and have about 10 young adults and juvies culled to a 1 gallon filtered vase that I started during the holidays with extra plants from the IM Nuvo 16.

Here are some shots of the BBRR Aquatop tank.

The IM Nuvo 16 has turned into a jungle and probably has well over 125 rili and malawa. I regularly scoop out masses of frogbit and Hygroryza aristata and I'm overdue to do a RAOK to get rid of them. The remaining two danios are always fat so they must eat their fill of babies, but it seems like the shrimp are managing and still increasing in number. I never see the danios take any interest in the shrimp, but I don't feed them enough to account for their size! I'll try to get some updated pics of that tank up this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode