5lb Cylinder: Craigslist $50
Regulator, Solenoid, Needle Valve, & Bubble Counter: Craigslist $50
Stainless Steel Needle Valve: nilcog $7
Glass Drop Checker & 4oz 4dkh Fluid: nilcog $14
SeaChem Excel: Craigslist $10
Ista Co2 Reactor: Ebay $15

#7 ·
Filtration

I got a steal awhile back for a Ehiem 2213 which is currently on my Fluval EBI Shrimp Aquarium. When my 20Long is ready, I will transfer my Eheim 2213 over to the 20Long and get an AquaClear 20 for my Fluval EBI.

Plant Houseplant Pet supply Magenta Petal

Eheim 2213: Craigslist $50

#8 ·
In the Process...

Currently, I am in the process of making Mineralized Top Soil (MTS)...

Plant Soil Gas Event Animal feed

Meanwhile, I am going to attempt to build my first tank stand...

Thanks for looking and stay tuned :cool:

#10 ·
Instead of building my own stand from scratch, I am going to modify this rebuilt stand I picked up today. This stand is perfect because it will fit my canister, co2 system, and already has an inset for the bottom rim of my 20L.

Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Plywood

Stand: www.minnfish.com $25

#13 ·
#14 ·
Great, thanks you two. Now you have me thinking about changing my bulbs. lol :confused:

I was thinking my bulbs were really good bulbs but maybe they aren't...

#15 ·
They're not the WORST bulbs you can get and they certainly won't cause any harm. The GE bulbs just put out more par and cost alot less and the giesemann bulbs, while are fairly expensive are great looking as well. It's one of those things that you don't really notice until bulb change time. I'm a big fan of the "colormax" or the otherwise pink bulb. I think it does alot for the look of things. Not sure of its value to actual growing

#16 ·
I am a fan of the colormax as well because it really makes reds pop, but after some research I found the spectrum of the colormax bulb doesn't do much for plants at all which makes it difficult to calculate the par on a tank.

#17 ·
While I am making MTS and modifying my stand stand. I am also trying to decide on a scape. There are so many to choose from which makes it hard to decide. I know for sure that I want to do the follow things:

1. Create a Dramatic Effect
2. Moss of DW
3. DSM HC or DHG or Both

I've been looking at other tanks here in journal sections and found some really good ideas. Getting excited :biggrin:

#20 ·
I've learned that the soil will mineralize during the dsm so technically I don't need to MTS. For now, I will continue the process until I'm ready to DSM.

To Do List:

1. Modify Stand
2. Decide on Scape
3. Get Driftwood, Rocks, and Plants

I'm excited because this bit of information just saved me 1 months time. I'm going to focus on my scape now.

Stay Tuned :icon_arro

#22 ·
Today, I saw an advertisement on CL for a Eheim 2213 canister with a bad propeller and no filter media for only $10.

I'm like SOLD! I drove 30min. to pick it up. I got it home and sure enough it had a bad propeller. With the advice of a member here on TPT, I swapped propellers from my working Eheim and it worked great.

Soon, I will order a new propeller, outtake pipe, filter media, and I'm all set.

God I love it when I find a steal-of-a-deal.

#23 ·
Today, I stopped at Gertens and took a look around their rock yard. I found this awesome rock called Mesabi Red Rock. This rock is from the iron range of northern Minnesota by Lake Superior.

I'm betting that it isn't aquarium safe, but I purchased 108lbs. of it anyways because it was so cool. I figured that if it won't go in my aquarium, then I will put it around my house.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Body jewelry Soil

Brown Wood Trunk Metal Building material

Mesabi Red Rock: Gertens 108lbs $15

#27 ·
I'm starting to get excited! One more coat of paint and my stand modification will be complete. :)

It's looking really nice compared to what it looked like when I bought it.

I will post the before an after pictures once its complete. The difference is like night and day! WOW, its really turning out nicer than I thought.

#28 ·
Stand Complete

I've complete the modifications to my stand and here is what I did.

1. Added Trim
2. Removed Shelving
3. Filled Cracks/Holes
4. Painted Black
5. Added Hardware

Before:

Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Plywood

After:

Wood Composite material Gas Wood stain Fixture

The Result:

Basically, this piece of furniture is still an old dinged up ratty aquarium stand, but I made it look more expensive by doing a very few cheap modification and not spending a hole lot of time on it. If you look closely you will see the trim on the top and the bottom. I would have preferred to use a paint with less of a sheen, but the hardware store only had satin so I went with that.

Anyways, this is my result. The basic structure is the same. The only real change I made was the removal of the shelving so I can fit my goodies inside the cabinet.

#29 ·
MTS Cycle 2 Complete...

I haven't decided on a scape yet, but I am determined to challenge myself in order to create my best work to date.

I am having a very hard time finding my own DW.

I will do a vinegar test on Mesabi Red Rock I got. I hesitate to use them because of all the iron in them. I wonder if there is a way to see how much iron they leach. I having found much online about this. Most people say just don't use them. :angryfire

#30 ·
I found some DW today and collected a bunch of it. Soon, I'll start figuring my scape. Maybe I will post a couple scenarios and grab some feedback from you guys.

#33 ·
Thanks, I'm always looking for deal :icon_cool

Where'd you find the DW?
I went to Lake Hiawatha and Lake Phalen. There is a bunch of wood between the golf course and the beach on 28th at Lake Hiawatha.

I heard on www.minnfish.com that **** Rapids Dam is a good place too, but I haven't been there yet.

I'm still not really satisfied with what I got for DW. I'm guess I'm just not sure what I want yet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.