Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal

Hello everyone

I have finally ordered my Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 in white with twin 8 watt 10K lights. It should be here mid week.

I will post again this evening with the preliminary items that I will be using in this build. Couple of quick questions as I have yet to decide on the substrate.
Eco-complete or flourite. Normally I would use a fine black sand but with the white backdrop I am wondering whether either of these companies makes makes a white sand in their flourite or eco-complete lines.

If anyone has any suggestions for a choice in this area please pipe in as I am going to decide and order this evening.

Also will be building a full size 3d mock up of the tank interior out of foamcore so I can work on the aquascape in the meantime. I have several pieces of mangrove root will post pictures tomorrow of the wood to insure I am calling correctly. I can work on it while waiting for my tank to arrive.

let me know what you recommend for substrate.

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are these Mangrove roots

Here are the pieces of what I believe to be Mangrove Roots. Can you identify what these are for certain?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mangrove Root 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	144978  

Name:	Mangrove Root 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	144986  

post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

I would just go with aquasoil if you plan on planting anything in the substrate. And that wood looks awesome. No idea what it is though. Keep in mind that the viewing area in the tank only has a foot print of 9x23 so keep that in mind when your trying to figure out your scape before hand.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Thanks I still don,t know what he wood is for certain. Still think mangrove root.

I actually committed to 2 bags of eco-complete fine black last night. So I know what the substrate will be.

Also ordered my Cobalt Aquatics Neotherm 75w Heater
JBJ Nano 2 amp 3 watt UV sterilizer.

My challenge now is to determine what bio media I intend to place in the middle chamber. Many options such as
Eheim's SUBSTRAT Pro Biological Filtration Media,1L which I would use along with
Eheim's EHFILAV Freshwater Biological Filtration Media, 1L

or

Seachem Laboratories Matrix - 2 Liter with
Seachem Purigen™ Filter Media and
Innovative Marine MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor loaded with Seachem Laboratories Matrix Carbon

I am leaning to the second combo the Seachem with reactor. Of course I could use the reactor in setup one too.

or some type of Bio Balls

any suggestions

Bob
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

They're not Mangrove roots. It's Rosewood, a common product sold in all kinds of pet stores and online.

Regarding media - since you posted the question elsewhere (try to post your question in one location so you can easily keep track of responses) - I'll say it again: go with what's cheapest. Seachem Matrix is definitely great stuff. Carbon isn't necessary in a planted tank unless you're removing medication.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

I just run filter floss in my nuvo. You don't really need all the extra stuff. It just gets clogged faster and the water just flows over the filter in effect bypassing it.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to NYREPS

I just got the nuvo 8 gallon my self ....the only thing I didn't like was the black sticker that on the back of the tank ...the light clamp will scratch and rip off the sticker if your not careful,other then that I am very happy with the tank.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

I'm gonna keep a close eye on this journal. I've been eyeing the nuvos and can't decide between the 16g or the 24g.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nuvo

If you have the space go for the 24. That will make a great tank.

Will do on posting updates here.

thanks
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Yep it is being journaled and the size of the tank is the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16.
23.5 l x 13 h x 12.2 D

I need planting ideas, better yet some aquascaping sketches this is where my knowledge of plants and aqua-scaping really suck. I do wanna keep it simple just a few plant varieties. I want plants that pearl nicely. Especially is it pearl grass?
A very low thick ground cover, some Anubias Nana in the roots. And a dash of red probably in the background on the left. Some kind of moss such as christmas moss, java moss or other type moss on the trunk and a couple of the more substantial roots. Some Dwarf hairgrass in the mid and back ground.

As for the catfish I am thinking a small pdo of 5 pygmy cories.
Then a large school of cardinals or neons probably 11. In the neons place maybe Celebes Rainbows. I don't want many varieties of fish rather a tank that has 3 or so species displayed to their best.

What do you guys think.

I am going to copy these posts and move them over to the journal page. See you guys there ok.

Bob
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am going with this placement unless something comes up before I start building it.
The only other one right now that I could see going with is Fire. It is the lower scape.

Let me ask you folks about Fire what do you think it would look like if it were moved more to the center and the substrate were about 2 inches on both sides and then it came across roughly at that level and then rose at a good angle on both sides towards the center making a decent mound where the full base of the trunk were imbedded in the substrate which was all covered in a low carpet of glosso. Would leave swimming area all around on both ends and cover in the middle under the roots. A small Grove of taller plants on the left corner Say Hairgrass. In the roots some moss maybe a nana and some strategic Java Fern or some other plant. Thoughts?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mangrove Root A.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	145834  

Name:	Mangrove Roots G.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	145842  

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Here is another aquascape of FIRE than I elevated and would call for it to be on a mound in the center. Dont know if I like it or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fire on Mound.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	145866  

post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Invert Warrior

I don't remember your specific questions for me in your last thread, but I'm here now.

I recall discussing stocking.

Why not ember tetras, Pygmy Cories and a single Electric blue ram?

I'm not sure about rams living with others well, but I will say going with minimal stocking is better than overstocking.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtmccord View Post
Here is another aquascape of FIRE than I elevated and would call for it to be on a mound in the center. Dont know if I like it or not.
When you consider substrate, this aquascape was what I had in mind when I was telling you consider a weeping moss tree.

That way you can do a scape with moss, some smaller plants and a carpet. Pretty simple.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

At a Crossroads need Straight talk about lighting

As you guys know I have just started a Nuvo 16 build. It will be a high light Planted tank.
It comes with 2 8 w 10K LED clip-on lights. Nice but far too weak.

I have looked at the Current Satellite Freshwater Plus which is a RGB 6700K LED light 18 watt. But that even with the clip on;s does not get me to at a min 3 watts per gallon.
I have looked at some high dollar LED fixtures which are sweet but not the spectrum that I really want the are generally 10K -8K spectrum. So I have been continuing my search and am now considering two Aquaticlife units.
The AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light 48 watt which would give me 3.6 watts per gallon. It would have any combination of 1 6700k bulbs from Tru-Lumen, Coralife and Life-Glo) and 1 AquaticLife T5 HO Pink Roseate 650nm Fluorescent Lamps. This sounds good but I would like have a timer, and more spectrum so I am also looking at his big brother AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixtures this is a 96 watt 4 lamp fixture. In this I would be able to run 2 6700K and 2 Pink or a pink and a 10K as the 10K would basically add some blue to the spectrum but the plants would not find much benefit in that range. This would get me up to 5.5 watts per gallon which is less than many of you might think as I was told that in a fresh water planted tank not to count the wattage of a 10k light as it as mentioned above does not have much spectrum for plants but does add a bit of blue to the lighting.
I like this fixture because I can have any combination of 2 lights come on at different times or all come on for the duration. Further at night I has lunar LEDs and includes a 3-channel digital timer. I know the plants would not benefit from the lunar but I think the fish would.

So now I must leave it up to the vets. Would you go with this system. I can always turn off one pair should I find it too much at a given time. Further with 4 lights it will fully cover the tank from front to rear not just some in the middle relying on spread to get light where we want it .

Bob

I would like to order my lights soon as the tank will be here Friday,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode