Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ottos

12 ottos in the 16 gallon tank. Wow will that leave room for any other fish.
I like the size of your school of what I think are ember tetras. They look great against that vegetation.
Also which substrate would you use flourite black or eco-complete. And would you use real fine like a sand or more of a gravel size?
Thank you for the pm also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the layout in the pic from yesterday right above the pic of my tank where you have it setup as a stump. I'm assuming that your main view will be straight on through the front. Possible improvements to this:

1. I highly recommend you pick up some nice weathered looking rock. Build up the base with the rock so that the stump top is just above the water line. This will also give it the feel of age as the roots grow over the rock and complete the stump effect so the trunk doesn't look like it was cut down by a lumberjack. Also make sure the trunk is vertical as possible while looking natural.
2. rotate the stump clockwise about 1/8 turn and pull it forward a bit. Maybe push it to the right if you start losing the stump effect as it appears its pretty flat looking from the side. So I envision the right side roots reaching toward the front right corner.
3. If that piece was in my hands I would probably be thinking about some cuts to the roots area depending on the rocks I picked and how it lays in the tank.

Once you get the substrate in the tank and can start playing with the slope and the wood together it will come to you. Please post some more photos.

You have a lot of potential in that piece. Enjoy!

-JP
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stump Thoughts

FYI the stump is against the rear wall and the furthest most small roots come to the glass. I agree rotating it some whether to the right or left is better than a straight vertical. I will have to look for some rocks. maybe some small pieces of slate or something similar?
I do like the idea of the top of the stump breaking the surface if possible just have to see about the return feed being in the way.
You mentioned cutting some of the roots can you mention that more. The bottoms or the longer ones to the left or what> I see in my mind the ones that are sitting on the tank bottom as being submerged in sand. Which begs another question. WOuld you use the more course eco-complete which is about the same size as fluorite or go with the finer almost sand eco-complete.
Did you divide the base with barriers such as pieces of plastic strip or just with the rocks to keep the substrate from shifting out and some rooted plants from trying to invade certain areas.
I will play more with the stump and post a few variations.
post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

layered slate would look really cool. Some really dark stuff.

And hold off on cutting anything until you have all your materials and a really solid idea of the final scape. Then don't be afraid to make modifications to get everything to fit just right.

-JP
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

As for the otos, some of them will probably die, so you'll probably end up with between 6-8 (conservatively estimating).
post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Invert Warrior

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal

Yeah 12 ottos in a 16g would leave plenty of room for another school of fish.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update Still working on layout

I have a couple more pictures don't know if I got it towards what you suggested but lets see, Let me know if any of these are better.
Also some potential candidates for the finished tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	147842  

Name:	Setup2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	147850  

Name:	Setup 5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	147858  

Name:	setup 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	147866  

Name:	wet root.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	147874  

Name:	gold-german-ram2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	147890  

Name:	electric-blue-ram.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	147898  

Name:	celebes-rainbow.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	147906  

Attached Images

post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

Scape #5
post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Invert Warrior

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Scape #5
+1. Seek further advice on ram stocking.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like scape #1 personally.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 AM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea scape 3 is what i was envisioning. Looking at it you will need quite a bit of rock to make it work. I think this one will look the best months down the road. This will also be the most difficult to pull off with the slope. I would dsm it for sure to get things set in place.

Also scape 5 would be good and alot easier to execute. This one would also give you more space for fish.

Just keep taking your time and play with the layout until you love it.

-JP
post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

Scape 3 was what I was envisioning too, followed by scape 5.
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 AM

I also have a NUVO 16 and recently bought the JBJ Nano 2 amp 3 watt UV sterilizer. If you figure out a way to get it to fit please tell me your secret!
post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

JBJ UV and nuvo 16

Here is what I am doing.
I am removing the Y connection on the stock tank pump and making it a straight return to the left nozzle as seen from the rear of the tank. I then will be placing the JBJ UV with the Aqueon AQ400 pump which is variable from 18-106 GPH to the right and attaching it to the right nozzle. I will be running this pump at 1/4 to 1/3 speed to give the water plenty of time in front of the light. That would be at about 25-34 gph. See attached photos
The main flow nozzle will be pointed straight ahead or slightly to the left center and the UV will be pointed slightly to the right center and down a bit.
Further I will be adding CO2 into the system and on GLA's suggestion I am going to put the atomic diffuser on the bottom of the sump between these two pumps and let the pumps pull in and return the co2 back into the tank thru their returns.
Above the pumps I will have two or three bags as necessary to fit around the return tubes filled with Seachem Matrix media Large very porous stones to make a large bio filtration chamber. Above those will be a full pad of fine filter
material. In both media baskets I am filling top chamber with very course filter media for catching the big stuff. Middle chamber will be a bit finer and the last bottom most chamber will have fine material. Also I am making a course piece cut to fit between the filter basket and the rear area behind each so material cannot escape past the basket. This one will be pushed down 1/2 way so it avoids bigger stuff that gets over the basket from pluggin up the middle and lower changers. After cycling I will probably put Purigen in the bottom of both media basket chambers. to polish water and removing undesirable elements.
I have also thought about putting a tee off one of the main pumps return nozzles and leaving the stock Y on the main pump and having one of the main pumps returns on one side and the uv return on the other. Either would probably be doable.
Let me know what your thoughts are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aqueon pump AQ400.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	148074  

Name:	UV and Pump.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	148082  

post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Possible Filtration Setup Nuvo 16

I have enclosed 3 possible filtration set ups for my Nuvo
# 1 First shows stock setup
# 2 shows separate returns for main pump 211 gph and UV Sterilizer 45 gph
# 3 shows the two devices y'd off a tee to have the mamin 211 gph spread between both and the uv going off one with the tee'd main pump.

I will be doing #2 or 3 depending on the space available.

You can also see the media placement and CO2 diffuser location the good thing about the bio media and the fine filtration pad is that they will keep the co2 trapped so that the pumps can cycle them out to the tank.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stock setup.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	148090  

Name:	Setup 2 Seperate returns.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	148098  

Name:	Teed connections.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	148106  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode