Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Well tomorrow this time I should have my Nuvo 16 tank with the twin 8w 10K clip Lights and 1 15 w 10K LED Strip. I am going to use these lights to get the tank started and the plants settled in and then when I set up my CO2 PB System I will keep the clip on's and put a 48W T5HO lights with a Flora Light and a 6700K. This will give my tank a 5wpg rating. This will be great with the CO2. Prior to setting the CO2 up and just with the original lights I am getting tomorrow my tank will have 2.5 wpg rating but also no CO2 in there yet.
I need to find a source in Denver for 2 bags of Eco-Complete Planted Black Fine Sand. My dealer blew it and got the course grained black. Not what I wanted.
I will keep you updated on the developments.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got some toys

Picked up my Tank see attached images. It shows the size as compared to my Evolve 8 FW Nano tank. Will not be able to start the install until late next week as substrate eco-complete is not here. Dealer got wrong size. Right color but wrong size.

Also been trying to contact Green Leaf Aquariums but that fellow will not call you back period!!!! That order should have been moving by now but I have a few questions I want answered first and he just won't talk one to one. Either business is awesome or he has poor customer support. In my business I would never have work if I took that approach. Fortunately there are other manufactures out there. I still reached out again this evening and hope that he can see it to have a 2-3 minute conversation and I am good to go I am sure his product is good but I am always concerned when a company/vendor stays isolated and buffered from their clients. What if I need support, or had a real problem. When you can't talk to or with a vender that makes me a bit nervous about their motivation NOT TO TALK with the potential customer. Sure it eats into their time but it also seeds good customer relations, can generate quicker orders, reduce confusion, possible returns, etc. Many vendors could learn from Marine Depot as they are great at calling, following up and willing to answer about any question. My goal is not to bash but just let you know it seems very unlikely that if you deal with GLA you are not going to speak with them directly.

As for the other gear got my Cobalt Heater, JB UV sterilizer, a 15w 10k Innovative Marine LED 24" strip light until I determine whether I am going T5HO, Satellite Freshwater Plus or what. Probably leaning to the twin 24" 48 watt T5HO light. Would already be here if anyone made one in white. Everyone makes every thing in black very boring and not at all inclined to enhance one's interior decor.

Also got some other odds n ends. Filter media, digital temperature gauge, glass cleaner, some Seachem Matrix Carbon, Seachem Matrix Bio Media etc.

Once I have the CO2 Paint Ball system in hand and the final high output lights I will be full speed ahead.

I will be fitting in the UV Sterilizer. to do so I may have to cut a y connection into one of the the return lines from the filter and put it on its own pump. I would prefer to have it pushed through the main pump but not certain there is enough room to do so.

If anyone has suggestions for filtration and or plants please let me know as I am going to order them from a reputable online grower. If you can recommend any that would be awesome.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvo 16.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	147362  

Name:	Nuvo 16 2.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	147370  

Name:	Nuvo 16 Comes Home.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	147378  

post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Planted Member

Hobbyists are a good source of plants (although it sometimes is hard to get large volumes of plants from hobbyists).

Although from experience, plantedaquariumscentral (be sure to include the s in aquariums, or you'll be redirected to arizona planted aquariums, a business with a F from the Bureau of Better Business) can be a better source for large volumes of plants.

Man that's a sleeeeeek aquarium. How's the glass clarity?
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Bounce to me the glass looks first rate.

I will watch the link when I order as you suggested.

Also I am attaching some images of some wood that I have available for my aquascaping. These in a 3d mock up of the full size of tank interior.

I am soaking the big piece of Rosewood now. Have been for two days.
Let me know which one or ones you like best.

Also if you can make any plant suggestions and a potential aquascape plan your experience is greater than mine I assure you.

I would be much appreciated. My leanings are for the large root and trunk but small arrangements would leave more swimming space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Root 7.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	147434  

Name:	Trunk root 5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	147442  

Name:	Root 4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	147450  

Name:	Root 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	147458  

Name:	Root 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	147466  

Name:	wet root.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	147474  

post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

Is there any way you can use no.3 but have the wood do a 180 and put it to the left?

Open swimming space on the right always looks fantastic.

I think the trick with a narrow tank like this is going to be to slope the substrate to give it more depth.

Man, I can't wait to see that wood in the tank.

EDIT:

Mot had a pretty sweet jungly aquascape

You could mirror the driftwood off of what he did with his. I'd pm him and see what kinds of flora he used for his scape.

Last edited by xiaoxiy; 05-24-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Added stuff
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

I do plan on alot of slope in fact my inclination it to use the large complex root that I have been soaking and basically have the root at the top tilted more to the upper left making the vertical more angled. The substrate would be mounded a bit on the left side of tank slope down a bit to the point where it starts making contact with the left most fine roots on the rosewood, level out for a couple inches and then start steeply climbing up and to the right wall. The idea being to make the scene look almost like a shore line or bank and leave a bit of room between substrate and upper wall of base root to give fish room to swim around and thru there.
Fish will most likely be 13-15 ember tetras they only get to 2 cm 3/4" and school well. Also a pair of Electric Blue Rams perhaps or 3 Honey Gold Gouramis or a pair of juvenile discus (this is not too likely) 2 1/2 to 3" once tank has seasoned well. I am also looking at Peacock Gudgeon's.
Also for a clean up crew 5-6 Pygmy cories. and an otto

Last edited by rbtmccord; 05-24-2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: correct spelling
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

That sounds epic!

I'd get more than 1 otto though; I'd say 3-6. Right now I have 1 oto in my tank. It's looking pretty lonely, good news is 8 more are coming in tomorrow morning to give it company!

You might also want to consider adding Amano shrimp or ramshorn snails, if you're daring, to your cleanup crew too.

From my experience so far, in a 30 gal, 26 amano shrimp, 20ish ramshorn snails, and an Oto are able to keep the tank pretty much completely algae free.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Well my tank is 1/2 of a 30 but with good healthy plants and my over filtering to boot it should be happy with that bio load once it gets cycled. I need to find a good source of true ember tetras. Good ones are a deep red like a Serpae and will look awesome swimming in and out of the roots. I know you like number 3 and I may end up there but my leanings are towards this one. I think that root has some serious character.
I also like it flipped on edge it almost looks like flames. I could see it in the center on a mound with sides sloping down both right and left all surrounded buy a lawn of smaller glosso, baby tears, etc. In the image elevated fire I would not have it that high but about 1/2 of that also slightly tilted forward and the mound slope upwards from the front glass as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mangrove Roots E.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	147482  

Name:	Elevated Fire.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	147490  

post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ottos

Did you order your otto's or are you getting them locally?
Where do you buy your fish in this area.
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Invert Warrior

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal

Never only get one or two ottos. They're shoalers. I'd skip the Pleco and get them.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ottos

How many ottos would you recommend in an 8 and in the Nuvo 16
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

I actually like the most current setup of the stump (the one you just posted).

As much as I like the upside down scape, I'm worried about how hard it'll be to plant. Although I guess you could just tie a whole bunch of needle leaf java fern onto the branches, plant some foreground plants and call it good.

As for the otos, I get them from Msjinkzd on the forums. I did, however, find a local supplier of otos today!

EDIT:

I'd recommend at a minimum, 3 otos.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ottos

Thank you that is helpful.
Also I am going to stock 13-15 ember tetras and am looking for suggestions for the main attraction. I have thought of a pair of Electric Blue Rams. Gold Rams or perhaps Honey Gold Gouramis but would be very appreciative of any other suggestions.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Algae Grower

Just a word of advise.

Even though you're only going to have about 10 gallons of water in your nuvo, a paintball co2 system is likely going to need refilling often. The over flows and open sump create a ton of off gassing. I have to run a full on cloud of co2 in mine to keep up with demand. A number 5 cylinder only lasts me a couple months. I am running a lot of light but not nearly enough to change the need that much. Anyway, can't wait to see how this tank progresses.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Invert Warrior

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Tank Build Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtmccord View Post
How many ottos would you recommend in an 8 and in the Nuvo 16
Why not snag 6 and 12. You'll probably have a little dieoff.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode