I'm starting this post a month after I started my tank, so here are the order of events to catch up.
April 1, 2013
Husband finished tank stand and we were able to put it in the living room and begin filling it. We had collected some dried wood and I peeled the small bits of bark off of them, scrubbed and soaked them several times.
We filled it part way and weighted down the wood with some stones, but the stones leached and my pH shot up, so I took them out, did a massive water change and ordered some slate.
And below is today's bad pic. I need to get out my good camera I guess. The tank is a little messy, I have some rogue pennywort, indian almond leave pieces stuck to filter intakes, and wisteria that needs to be adjusted to aim more up and forward instead of backwards towards the filter intake.
I had lots and LOTS of brown fluffy algae on the wood, but once I started dry ferts it disappeared. I now also have nitrates under 20 even though I doubled the fish load. Yay ferts!
5 black kuhli loaches
Thinking of some Celestial Pearl Danios, and my cherry shrimp are on their way (although they will mostly go to live in the 5 gallon with my frogs to increase their numbers. Extras will come here over time.