Y0uH0's 100 Gal <warning 56K> - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
What is the plan for the new scape? Looking forward to it.
Yeah ignore that....I saw the layout and thought it was your old layout...sorry. But as we all know our plans change when reality sets in, as I am finding out quickly. This seems to be an ever-evolving process that seems to attract perfectionisys with insatiable apetites...lol I know that is me anyway.

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
Yeah ignore that....I saw the layout and thought it was your old layout...sorry. But as we all know our plans change when reality sets in, as I am finding out quickly. This seems to be an ever-evolving process that seems to attract perfectionisys with insatiable apetites...lol I know that is me anyway.
yeah you are right,my plans for the layout really did change a little but most of it is still about the same. Hmm,i feel that we need not neccessarily change our plans just because we are perfectionists..most of the time,i feel that t he plans were changed because the situation made us do so..like in the case of my scape which you will notice after i post some updated photos,changes were made because i was unable to obtain the plants i wanted,hence i had to make amendments to get everything right. but at times,i have to admit that we change because things aren't gdoing as well as we wanted them to be.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey guys,here are some updated pics of my tank which includes the set-up process as well as pictures of the completed scape. All comments are welcomed=).

Planning stages for the driftwood arrangement

In goes the JBL Aqua basis base fertilizer

Followed by the ADA amazonia aqua soil(notice the marker drawings on the aquarium glass? those were used to compute the golden ratio for my tank)

Rock scape has been arranged so for the next step,in goes the water till it just covers the substrate to fascilitate planting.

Shot of the tank a day after set up:

Another center shot of the tank.If you notice,the intended focus of the tank derived from the golden ratio calculation is meant to be on the red plant as shown in this picture.Not sure if i got it right though.

More pictures will come along as the water continues to clear up. I will also be posting a final plan of the tank layout in the next few days. Had to move and swap some plants because some plants i ordered did not arrive. However,i still stuck to a very large portion of the inteded plan for my tank.

Last edited by Y0uH0; 09-20-2006 at 09:02 AM.
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fauna in my tank:

1 snow white discus
6 turquoise discus
6 leopard snakeskin discus
1 angel
8 glass catfish
3 chinese algae eaters
1 SAE
4 leopard corys
7 black mollies
6 zebra danios
2 freshwater puffers
7 otocinclus
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Great start, can't wait to see it fill in. Make sure to post a new pic when the intial cloudiness subsides.
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

100gal planted tank, 1 week on..

Here is an update of my tank one week after initial set up. As you can see,my foreground is suffering a little. I am considering replacing the HC with hairgrass which is already growing behind it.The water is almost crystal clear except for a very mild cloudiness due to a water change which i had performed prior to the pictures being taken.

Also you can see how much the centre of the tank has grown in from when the tank was just set up.

-Derrick Li-

I really envy my fishes and plants,they seem to be getting so much more attention than me. Shouldn't i start pampering myself a little more?

100 gal planted tank journal

Last edited by Y0uH0; 09-20-2006 at 09:04 AM.
post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good! I love the glass cats schooling too. Nice job ~

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks great.
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its cool to see glass catfish in a planted tank....i havent really seen that before.....nice tank
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks guys for the compliments,i hope things will go on find in time to come. for now,it has only been one week since the initial setup and it is still too early to say how things are going to be eventually. My foreground needs a little tweaking and i will get back with a further update as things progresses.

as for the glass catfish,i am really crazy over them. just love the look of being able to see through them. my relatives are also amazed at such fish,probably because we seldom see them at our local LFS.

-Derrick Li-

I really envy my fishes and plants,they seem to be getting so much more attention than me. Shouldn't i start pampering myself a little more?

post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I encountered a little problem with my HC foreground. Things don't seem to be going the way i had wanted it to be. Apparently my HC are not carpeting like the way i had hoped they would. Furthermore,some parts of them seem to be melting off. One of my planted tank enthusiast friend actually told me that the melting part is normal for HC when they have just been newly planted into an aquarium as they will need time to root and during this period of time,parts of them will just melt away however they will eventually bounce back. Is that true? If it isn't,does anyone know the reason why they are in that state? My PH is around 6.5 while my KH is 1. I don't think it has to do with lighting because my hairgrass are doing fine and they are supposedly high light plants.

-Derrick Li-

post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I checked with my local LFS regarding my HC problem. Apparently,the HM that i bought also melted away. So i was wondering,should i leave the remaining HC that are struggling to survive in the tank? Or should i uproot them and try planting a new set of HC again? Or should i just change a new foreground plant entirely?

-Derrick Li-

post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am not sure what species I had, HM or HC. However, IMO, it may not be the best choice for the foreground. Perhaps best for the midground. Mine struggled for a while (~3 weeks), then it really took off. Main issue you might have with it is that it requires a fair bit of pruning, perhaps twice a week, to keep it neat. Then once you pruce, it takes a few minutes to fish out the pieces. That's why I think it may be best in the midground; you might be able to let it go for a few more days without pruning without it drawing as much attention.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One month on...

Well,it's been a month since my tank was set up and i must say alot of changes have taken place ever since then.The following is a list of changes that have been made..
1)Replaced 2 of the 40W T8 tubes with 2 80W T5 tubes bringing the total wattage of my tank to 280W or about 2.8W/gal.
2)Replaced the HC foreground with hairgrass and another plant which i am trying out,need ID please.
3)Replaced the hygrophila polysperma,myriophyllum hippuroides and gymnocoronis spilanthoides midground with blyxa japonica.
4)Rearranged the left side of the tank a little so that the low light slow grow plants would now be covering a larger area of the tank.
5)Added some bolbitis heudelotii and anubius coffeefolia as well as increased the number of anubius nana and javafern to the left side of the tank.
6)Shifted the position of the E.parv(tropica) so that it would play a more central role.
7)Added some tonina amongst the wood with taiwan moss attached to it.

As you can see,alot of changes have taken place and along the way,i had encountered some algae problems of my own. Not long after the tank was set up,i encountered green water in my tank and not long after,i noticed some BBA growing on weaker plant parts as well as on some hardscape.For the GW problem,i went with the water change solution as a UV sterilizer was far too costly for me.I also reduced the fertilizer dosage for the tank as well as increased the CO2 levels for the tank. The GW problem has now been solved and the BBA is currently under control with no new growths sighted.I will continue to update the thread in time to come. As for now,thank you all for all the inputs and comments.

-Derrick Li-

Last edited by Y0uH0; 09-20-2006 at 09:05 AM.
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice tank. I can't wait to see how it matures. That plant you got there is Marsilea.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode