My first massive trim, rescape and bow breeding idea.
Here's a shot from the night before:
I wanted to change things up so I started with my battle against BBA, GDA, and stag. Instead of trying to kill the algae with chemicals and tricks I decided to focus on the plants. My first problem was that I was lighting my tank with four t5 HO bulbs and no pressurized co2. Since it will be awhile before I buy a co2 system I dropped my lighting from four to two bulbs (my two floramax). Those are now a year old so that might also be contributing to the algae. My next purchase will be two giesemann bulbs. I'm surprised that someone didn't gig my on that mistake.
Next I increased flow by removing my UV sterilizer. I added that to my system because of my bows. I didn't want any disease spreading through my tank and wiping them out. Little did I know that uv messes with the different aspects of a planted tank so I'm moving it over to qt (makes more sense, I'm smart). I also doubled the size of the spray bar and positioned it towards the front glass so all the plants receive equal flow. The improvement in flow and distribution also maximises the next upgrade, fert dosing.
I just started dosing NPK + Fe and micros with a double dose of liquid co2. Algae was taking over my plants, lower leaves were dying, pinnatifida was melting, and pinholes were showing up. Now I'm slowly learning this mysterious balancing act of the planted tank. With everything now mostly firing on all cylinders, and a little bit of patience, I should see plants exploding and algae becoming a controlled snack.
Now on to the trim and new additions! First, the tasty snack I was cooking up to fuel this eight hour adventure, applewood smoked ribs
Back to work. I needed a way to break up the border between the sand and add depth. This also sparked my idea for a mobile breeding medium for my bows. Dewalltheway's 125g tank gave me the inspiration and Jason Baliban showed me how to execute the idea. I planted the fissidens, riccia, and mystery moss (need help with ID) on slate tiles
You recieve very strange looks while buying zipties and a lufa
Help with mystery moss ID:
Now when the tiles grow out into lush mats, the bows will spawn on them. I'll transfer the tiles over to qt and hatch the fry. Once that's done I transfer them back over to the main tank and start the process all over again.
On to the rescape and trim:
I moved plants around to smooth out the scape and replanted fresh tops. Everything should grow back nice and dense and "flow" better than before. Here's the finished product at 5am:
Water murky from planting, trimmings everywhere, and glass not cleaned
I'll have cleaned up pics tonight once it gets dark. I'm excited to see how this one grows out. And last but not least, more bow fry are hatching in qt.