MrSlumpy's 2nd attempt (20L rimless) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

MrSlumpy's 2nd attempt (20L rimless)

So after getting my feet wet with a 36 gallon over the last 6 months or so I decided to start up a new tank. My 36 is overflowing with plants and I decided I wanted some new fish as well.

So I was off to Petco for the $1 per gallon sale. I looked really hard at a 40 breeder but decided to go with the 20L (mainly to avoid having to buy or build a huge stand.) I ordered a Fugeray 30" to light it with, hopefully I can grow some carpet with that.

After getting my light, i put it and the tank on the stand (a hand-me down from the 36G) to get a feel for what it would look like. When I got to looking at all that ugly black plastic, I decided the top rim had to go. After about 4 hours of dremeling and prying, 6 or 7 razor blades and god-awful amounts of acetone, this is what I ended up with:

Not the best job possible but not bad either for my first de-rimming adventure.

Now for some equipment. I was running 2 filters on my 36, an Eheim 2236 and a Fluval 106. I like having 2 filters for when I need to do maintenance, so I bought a Finnex PX-360 to replace the 106, and decided to try the 106 on the 20L. I was thinking it may not be enough but I decided I'd give it a go and add more filtration / flow if needed, maybe a second 106. For now I went ahead and made an intake and spray bar out of some pvc. Here are my masterpieces in their unglued and unpainted state:

EDIT: 4/30/2013:

Progress is slow but I've made some. I got a background (black foamboard cut to fit.) I also managed to get the intake and spray bar glued, painted and drilled, then plumbed them to the wacky tubing on my Fluval 106. I just crammed the fluval tubing straight over the 1/2" pvc then glued and zip tied the connections. If it comes apart I'm going to be hating life.

So then I got to thinking about the substrate and hardscape. I ended up going with about a 50/50 mix of FloraMax and Flourite. I wanted to put some eco-complete in as well but I couldn't find any at the local shops.

I had some flagstone pavers I got from home depot that I was intending to use in another tank, but I figured I'd come up with some hardscape for this one. By the way if you're looking for a decent way to glue together rocks, this stuff works great:

So I got to gluing together various fragments of smashed rocks and this is what I came up with:

EDIT: 5/8/2013
Over the last week or so I got the tank filled, planted, and stocked (partially.) I pulled most of the plants from my 5G holding tank and a few from my 36G tank. I also put in the DIY CO2 setup I had on the 5G, with the intent to upgrade it to a paintball setup like I have on my 36. I am going the route of the "silent cycle" and hoping it works. I also dumped in a bottle of Tetra SafeStart.

I got some fish and other critters from a new LFS ((Royal Aquatics in Flower Mound, TX)). If you're from around here I suggest you check them out. They have a decent selection of freshwater fish and plants, and they have a pretty impressive saltwater selection as well. The owner and staff are friendly and helpful as well. They told me they will soon have their website updated with their freshwater stock list.

Anyway, so for now plant-wise I have some swords, ludwigia, crypt, moneywort, telanthera, anacharis and maybe something else I'm forgetting. I want to attempt to grow some HC carpet but we'll see what happens with that.

Critter-wise I have 4 green-glow tetras (my little girl absolutely had to have them), 5 serpae tetras, a couple of olive nerite snails and 2 amano shrimp. I also dumped in about 15 malaysian trumpet snails from my other tank. I was a little worried about the serpae tetras because I read they can be aggressive. These have not showed any signs of aggression. In fact it seems more like the green tetras try to pick on them every once in a while. The 2 shrimp seem really happy, and I can see why people love shrimp so much. The little guys just scurry about and are fun to watch.

Here are some new pics, let me know what you think:

Last edited by MrSlumpy; 05-09-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Added some new stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Algae Grower

Is it OK for the structural integrity of the tank to remove the plastic rim?

I also bought a 20g Long from petco due to the $/gal sale... might have to look into doing what you did. Pretty cool!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've read a dozen or more success stories about de-rimming a 20L, but I've never come across any failure stories. So, based on completely anecdotal evidence, I have come to the conclusion that it is 100% safe.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice job on the derimming!

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think a diy rimless could look any better.
My 10g is almost this nice.. I wish.
and I broke a 5g learning. lol

nice job, I cant wait to see the hardscape shaping up
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dig the RIMLESS
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you should replace the pvc with a clear tube.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I think you should replace the pvc with a clear tube.
For now I'm going to give it a black background, and paint the PVC black to match. If I get inspired to improve it in the future I may try the clear tubing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Planted Member

Definitely considering de-rimming a 20L in the future...any pointers from your experience? I know there are a lot of write ups, but just curious from your point of view

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MrSlumpy's 2nd attempt (20L rimless)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post
Definitely considering de-rimming a 20L in the future...any pointers from your experience? I know there are a lot of write ups, but just curious from your point of view
+1

Now considering it as well. Just looks so clean...

- Mumford

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post
Get a heat gun. Not a blow dryer but a heat gun. My wife bought ours to do crafty stuff and I think it cost like $10 or so. Useful for so many things like stretching tubing, melting butter, etc.

Give the silicon a blast with the heat gun for about 60 seconds then jam a putty knife in there and the trim comes off pretty easily.

Also I dremeled the corners first so the plastic would come off in clean sections.

When you get all the trim off the tedious part begins. I took cotton pads and soaked them in acetone, smeared it all over the remaining silicone residue, then scraped with a sharp razor blade. repeat that process until you have clear glass.

DON'T do what I did and use a sanding dremel on the glass edges. I thought it would smooth it out but it ended up a bit jagged. Fine grit sandpaper applied gently should take care of the sharp edges.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you have to clean up any seals ?

Last edited by drewsuf82; 04-29-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: didn't make sense
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Did you have to clean up any seals ?
Just this one:

But seriously, the top inch or so of the silicon was completely gone, so i did my best to re-silicone it. It looks better than it would if I had not done it, but not perfect.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

BTW I added some stuff to the top post. Please let me know what you think!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

Re: MrSlumpy's 2nd attempt (20L rimless)

"All clean! Thanks, MrSlumpy!" :-)
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode