The Planted Tank Forum banner

The crab shack - devils and vampires - updated with pics 1/29/14

52K views 104 replies 44 participants last post by  lamiskool 
#1 · (Edited)
So after researching, planning and researching some more, I decided to build a tank for geosesarma crabs. I did not want to simply set up a tank, put some gravel in and have a little water area since I was looking for a long-term build project with a significant dry and wet area. The plan ultimately was to build a vivarium/paludarium (I'm still not sure on the terminology) where I could provide a significant water and land portion as well as have enough upwards room to grow epiphytes that enjoy the high humidity like fern, orchids, mosses, bromeliads, etc.

Many vivaria are designed with a very shallow water level (1-2 inches) and a significant land and vertical area as most of these are for frogs. I definitely took many build ideas from the "frog people" and modified them to fit my design.

The tank is a 37 gallon (general 20L footprint, but 22" high). There is a 6" deep water feature and the substrate will be something like 4-5" deep above the water. I read the crabs are tunnelers so I want to provide them with enough depth to be able to thoroughly dig their burrows to provide them with semi-natural conditions. The substrate is elevated off the water via an egg-crate false bottom so that it does not stay water-logged. There is a part that will extend into the water and will be able to grow marginal plants (like emersed crypts, thank you Gordon). I'll have a layer of hydroton in the bottom to be able to support springtails, isopods, and other microfauna which will act as janitors and live food. I heard these vivaria tend to form mold (I guess there is an arch-nemesis or each enclosure: aquariums have algae, vivaria have mold, etc.) so I want to have janitors to clean that up.

There is a water fall to return oxygenated water back into the water and to add a little humidity via evaporation. Also, it looks nice :D. The whole waterfall is driven via a Fluval 405 which is ample filtration and gph. Actually, it is more gph than I need and I might downgrade sometime in the future, but currently it works. I covered the outlets with mesh so the flow will be decreased and to direct the water to run along the background, instead of just falling and splashing everywhere.

I am planning on keeping the temperature of the tank around 24-26C, so I want to have the water around 26-27 degrees to allow for evaporation. Ultimately, I want to add an inline heater, but currently a submersed heater hidden in some corner will have to do. I am confident that I'll be able to hide it.

Lighting wise, I decided to go with a 30" HO T5 fixture to be able to grow high-light demanding plants like bromeliads. The light extends pretty well to the bottom, and I think I'll be able to grow low-light plants in the water.

I'll add a detailed build log in the next posts, since the pictures are currently uploading to photo bucket. Also, I just wanted to note, that now looking back, a ready-made background that you can buy in a store are a lot cheaper than home-made. Only, you can't customize them, and you don't get the satisfaction of building it yourself :D.

I would like to thank several people (on TPT or not) who have been great in extending information and helping me plan this:
My lovely fiancee for her help and understanding (especially of the mess), Gordon Richards, Rachel O'Leary, Bill Brissette, Bill (Fishes_in_Philly), rozdaboff, John from NEFG, Matt and Doug on dendroboard. Also, Jaime and *** for encouragement and thoughful comments. I am sorry if I forgot you.

See less See more
#68 · (Edited)
This is EXACTLY the thread I've been searching for. I would love to set up a tank for some Vampire Crabs. Those Devil ones also look wicked. I will be PM'ing you some questions about setting a crab habitat. I hope you don't mind too much! Great set up and I love the Orchids. I've got several Phalaenopsis growing in my office.

#70 ·
Small update (I will show pictures later today or tomorrow).

I hung the light above the tank now to allow the top to close tightly. I'll be introducing the crabs soon, so I want to make sure there are zero escape possibilities, since I've noticed that they are quite the skilled climbers. The red devils are thriving, the vampires aren't doing so well. I've lost three so far. I cannot figure out why. I do not observe anymore aggression between the species so I doubt that that's it. I did read that they don't ship well, and that the full "trauma" from shipping can take weeks to either overcome, or not.

The plants are doing so so. All the orchids seem to be thriving. The P. grobyi and P. resupinata are throwing out spikes, all the other ones are producing new leaves. So I think I'm doing alright on that. Does anyone know an animal-friendly foliar fertilizer that I could use for the orchids?
The ferns are also recovering. They have stopped losing leaves, and are producing new shoots so that should eventually work out.
The anubias and marginals are not doing so well. The anubias afzelli in the waterfall have all pretty much died out, and the larger coffefolia along the water's edge in the front are doing so so. It might not be humid enough for them. Also, the moss mix has yet to show any growth anywhere. I think some areas are too dry, but there is no growth anywhere even in the wet, or semi-wet areas. I might have to rethink that mix. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'll show pictures tonight.

#71 ·
So I finally finished the lid. It's alright, still needs some tweaking, but overall I'm pleased. There is a 3" x 24" screen opening and the rest is covered in glass. The fan is still there for circulation. At some point I'll try to cut a hole into the glass so that I can have better circulation, but for now it'll do.

I moved 4 of the 6 devils into the tank. I couldn't find two of them, and I didn't want to majorly rummage around the tank. When I see them in the next couple of days, I'll move them then. Obviously, the devils went right for the bushes, and I could only spot one more, hanging under the false bottom. I hope that they'll get more familiar and comfortable with the tank so that they come out more. Regardless, here are some pictures:

Vampire - finally a nice shot of the two colors

P. grobyi spike

D. ruscifolia new growth

The suffering anubias - bad picture due to fogging up of the front glass

P. resupinata with new growth and spikes (I counted three of them, the ones seen here are old ones) I'll try to get a better shot of the current spikes, but they are hidden well under the leaves

Here is a spike. In the back and out of focus

Another angle. I really like this little orchid. I find everything about it fits, the harmonious spots with the darker green leaf color, the leaf shape and the willingness to grow

I'll post a full tank shot soon.

#74 ·
Amazing set up!!! I absolutely LOVE all the orchids inside as well. Can't wait for them to bloom! Any idea how long that will take? i'm unfamilair with the species planted.

I hope you don't loose anymore of the Vampires, theyre way to cute! Loving the Devils as well, very nice coloration on them!

How long till you add some fish? Still leaning towards guppies?

#76 ·
Ok finally with the picture update. I got some java fern on Monday that I added. The masdevallia is not doing so well, it dropped all but four leaves, so I moved it around to see if there isn't a better spot for it. It is sending out two new leaves, so I'm not sure if it's just dropping the old growth, or if it's dying. My wee willy flowered, so hopefully I'll get some pups. The chiquita linda has one larger pup out, that I will be cutting off soon, and is sending another one up the background behind it. The crabs are still very shy, but they are molting, so I am excited that they are at least not dying.

Anyways, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. I am still experimenting with the camera settings. I guess these pictures are a bit over exposed.

#78 ·
Update time. I haven't figured out how to deal with all the humidity. It severely screws with the pictures. I might take some more tonight and see if I can't play with it.

Full tank shot:

Showing all the wiring around the tank with the filter and thermometer/humidity probe on the side.

Red devil femaile

Same female on her way to the hiding spot in the right back of the tank

I tried from above ... not so successful

This is the terrarium for the vampires. Ever since I densely planted it, they are constantly out and about.

I will try for better pictures. If anyone has an idea how to get around the humidity and foggy glass, I'd be happy to know.

#80 ·
Awsome log m8, have you had any luck to breed them yet? and can you get some more images of the VC rigg. that did not look bad at all, and i have all the stuff to pull that one of over here.

but i still want to make something that you have done there whit levels, gives it a better feeling i think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.