I've had a few pm's requesting details of the tank setup and thought I would share with everyone my response to the latest.
On the mini pellia and other mosses. I started with chopping it up into small bits and then mixing it with plain non fat yogurt and water. (My wife must never find out I used our Magic Bullet blender). I made a thin paste out of it and then used a paint brush to put it on the rocks where I wanted it. I followed the same procedure for all the other mosses I used. The yogurt technique was an experiment based on moss graffiti...google that to see what I mean. Its really cool. Im not sure if the yogurt technique helped the grow out but it was fun trying something new and a cool side effect was being able to see what was painted already so I could keep the mosses separated.
I then dry started it for several weeks just misting it with a spray bottle filled with dechlorinated tap water mixed with a small dose of ferts. I usually only misted twice a day. The aquarium was covered with plastic with a corner gap on one side of about an inch. I aired out the aquarium really well when I misted. I think that was really important to exchange the air completely as the yogurt mixture gets pretty funky during the first couple weeks (and yes my Wife thought I finally lost it and needed "help").
The first two weeks was really slow growth as the moss was in such small bits. The yogurt went through phases from white, to yellow to red splotches to clear sticky ooze and then gone in those two weeks. The moss started noticeably growing in weeks 3 and 4 and also attached really well to the rocks and substrate. I let it grow for several more days until I was certain the flood would not dislodge everything. I was relieved when I first turned on the filter and almost everything stayed in place.
On the dry start method: I used the dry start method for one reason only on this tank. I felt this was the only way I could get the different mosses to be where I wanted them. So now I have all these different areas on the rocks and substrate that are solid patches of a single type of moss which is what I feel gives this tank a unique feel.
The other thing I wanted to achieve was a natural looking aquascape with depth. Most aquascapes have a fore, mid and background. I tried to achieve 5 or 6 different levels of depth. To do this I really worked the vertical aspect of the tank. The rocks I chose allowed me to really get the structure built up without making the resulting aquascape to artificial looking. My thoughts during the build were to envision the tank at a year old versus what it was when first built.
While I'm quite pleased so far, I'm still looking at making this tank better and open to suggestions.