Thank you all for the great comments! First time I just went for a scape and ended up being happy with it! Hope it stays that way..
Regarding how I put the acrylic together and sealed it, well acrylic requires a special kind of adhesive that essentially melts the two pieces together and seals it at a molecular level. Pretty much welding it together. The glue I used is highly viscous and has to be applied with a small gauge needle. This allows the glue to seep into the gaps between pieces.
Initially there were some minor leaks, but after going over the seams a couple times, it was completely sealed. Since the acrylic becomes essentially one piece, it is very strong structurally, and no silicone in sight!
I will post some pictures of the adhesive applicator for those that are interested. It takes a steady hand, but I have had some practice for school.