The Planted Tank Forum banner

Buck's 75 Gallon

60K views 380 replies 72 participants last post by  scolley 
#1 ·
Well here it is on week 2 after setup.
Many things left to do like canopy and lighting, but the lights on there now are not doing all that bad. I am running my old lights from the 30gallon.
Its a 4' shop light with one T-8 5500k bulb powered by the original ballast (for 2 bulbs) and the other bulb (T-8 6500k) has a 3X ballast that I added to power the second bulb. Then in front of that , laying on them dang glass tops that I hate so much is the stock T-8 flourescent light strip that came with the tank, I just changed the bulb to a 8500k Flora-Sun bulb.

WEEK 2

I also was looking for some change with this tank and went with a blue background... I think the blue really freshens up the tank... of course it looks a little overpowering now but I think with a few months of growth and maturity of the plants it will be very nice looking.

Pay no mind to the equiptment, Im working on that also... I am definately going to add my other XP2 to the tank for filtration as there is only one on there now with just a small powerhead for circulation.

See less See more
#56 ·
Well after never hearing of a festivum I googled up a couple of photos and quick info. The photos I saw reminded me of severums in a way and the info led me to believe that these guys get big...upwards of 5-6" :shock:
Am I looking at the right thing here ? Looks like a vegetarian to me... LOL
I am unsure of the whole cichlid family with my angels, would love to try some apisto's which I also have been looking at photos of but man... they are as mean looking as they are pretty... if thats possible ?
I really dont want any territorial crap going on in my tank, I been there done that and really dont want to go there again. LOL
I imagine some of the apisto's are better then others as is with all the cichlids, so which are the most "user friendly" with Angels ?
Also... How are Apisto's gonna get along with my shrimp ? :shock:

I do love the looks of them and they must be very entertaining to watch in the tank...

#57 ·
I have before, but the more I hang out around these forums, the more I seem to be the odd guy you read about that gets away with it.

#59 ·
Severums are a definite no in a planted tank, but festivums are more of a mixed review. Of the reviews on Aqua Hobby, only one cites trouble with plants...
"Very peaceful, very easy. Will not let most plants grow in the tank, though. Will eat chopped salad or dandillion leaves. One of my favourites. "
Most other reviews actually specify keeping them in heavily planted tanks. FishProfiles.com doesn't list the Festivum and Angel as compatible tankmates.
I'm still tempted to try them because they seem to have so much personality and grace. Buck, you wanna go first? hehe

#61 ·
There are some beautiful gourami's out there. I wonder if my angels would leave them alone enough to get established...gourami's are pretty shy and hard to acclimate arent they ? Right now my angels are at that frisky age and the 2 males are goin at it every 3 weeks or so when the female is loaded with eggs. :evil:
Unless I time the purchase (somehow) to get them during the angels halftime show when they are a bit more relaxed... or during the peak of the egg battles when they could care less whats going on around them for those 2-3 days... LOL

Its been a long while since I have bought any new fish, whatever "nemo" I put in the tank will likely cause a stir!

Gourami's are best in pairs or more ? Males / Females ? Does it matter ? Oh man... got some reading to do on them now too ! :roll:

#65 ·
I keep gourami's and angels together, and there are only a few scuffles from time to time, nothing major though.

Now.. if you want something interesting.. how about adding 5-6 Croaking gourami's to that tank. They only get to about 2"-2.5" and they are hoot.

I have one in my 22 gallon tank in my living room and every time it gets quiet I hear that telltale "chiiirip chiiirip chiiirip" as he croaks for his reflection.

#68 ·
I love Paradise Fish but mine had to be removed from the Angel tank because he could inflict some serious damage to the scales on the Angel's sides. He's got a hard little mouth, like a Betta, but stronger, that can bite harder than you think! I've felt it on my arm while reaching into his tank.

#70 ·
Fish dude said:
Festivum cichlids look real nice and in the wild they live with angels, i read it in a Dr axelrod book and in clips of the aquatic life in the amazons, they are always together.
I'm inspired, I'm gonna get me a couple new "Spikes" when I set up my new 75 gallon tank. :D

#75 ·
Nordic,

If I could talk my wife into it I would have (PL-RDX-41) Formosa Deluxe 48" (260 watts) for lighting but that would be the day I spent that on lights... $ 290 over at AB :wink:
Thats a sweet setup !

As for fish I have some mixed feelings about the festivum's so I will let you brave lad's let me know how they do...
Gourami's I dont think have a high enough activity level for what I want... they are kind of a lazy fish in the realm of things. LOL
I am leaning towards the Apisto's for the colors and the antics I am sure they perform... does anyone keep shrimp with them ? It seems the Apisto's would be bottom to mid dwelling where the shrimps like to hang out and well I wouldnt want to see them pick apart my amano's. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.