Time for a big update... it's been a while since I've posted on this thread.
Well firstly I didn't get the thing filled until a couple days ago for a few reasons. My AS took forever to get here, and then thanks to the Parents Against Planted Tanks Act (PAPTA) I couldn't find time to fill it. When I did fill it finally, I forget to spray the soil first so it got ****ed, then I was trying to pour the water in carefully but the plastic petri dish wouldn't sink and I dumped too much water in accidentally, causing a lot of cloudiness. (It eventually settled but now the wood has a layer of fine dust on it.) Again thanks to the PAPTA I had to fill it in 3 sections due to enraged parents, which by the second time my moss wall was already pretty much dried up even though I sprayed it down a lot.
I'm thinking about taking the wall out cuz I hardly had any taiwan moss to start with, what I had dried up, and the stupid suction cups are not staying put!!! I spent at least an hour tying moss to SS mesh, let me tell you first hand it was not fun.
So if you didn't read through that whole rant, basically I had a terrible start. However, on the bright side it's showed nitrates within 24 hours, probs cuz I seeded the aquaclear. At least I won Ebi's RAOK of moss, something to look forward to.
1) How do I attach fissidens to driftwood if I don't want to take it out? I tried gluing it with superglue but the moss turned white then dried up. Not exactly what I was hoping for.
2) Should I do water changes?
3) How long will it be before I can stock shrimp? Like, when will it stop leaching ammonia.
4) The water is still kinda murky, but it's a whitish milkiness, not brown. What's the problem, or how can I fix it?
5) How much moss are you supposed to tie onto a piece of mesh for optimal results? I think I tied a bit too less.
I will post pix when my homework is done and when I decide to not be lazy any more.