The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mark's Almost-ADA Build

48K views 346 replies 30 participants last post by  xorwellience 
#1 · (Edited)
Just as they do with many of my tanks, I've changed plans a lot here.

I've moved my build over to an interesting AquaTop build. The whole goal? Cost saving. The methods I chose literally save me half the price on an entire ADA setup, but again, I'm not exactly saying I won't ever set one up.

I'll detail the goals of this tank:

As always, I wanted to create an interesting build that has a nice scape and is easy to transport. This is being set up in lieu of my DBP 18'' which is sadly being torn down.

I decided on AquaTop's Mini S "Knockoff" which is a 3.4g tank high-clarity tank with similar dimensions. I decided on an Archaea light (ADA Recommended), Zoomed canister, flourite substate.

Flora: Mosses, crypts. Basically low light plants. I never aspire for too much, although I'd love to figure out a way to make a moss carpet in the middle.

Fauna: Snails andddd WAIT FOR IT!! Yep. Blue Diamonds. I'm really hoping to establish a good colony here.

The budget for this tank was ORIGINALLY $200. (I never include Fauna in tank budgets) but since I decided on $9 each shrimp, I decided I needed to shrink it.

I spent:
$50 for the tank + shipping
$35 on the light (Thanks CPDZeke)
$34 on the Filter
$16 on the substrate.
$02 on the Pre-Filter Sponge

All in all $137.

With the shrimp included, we can bring that to a $191.

But like I said, I never do, so pick whichever number you like. I think it was worth it. I'm hoping this aquarium grows in real well and really makes my neos happy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Subscribed and looking forward to the build and the answer to your substrate questions. Right now that's my major holdup...trying to decide what substrate to use. I was thinking Eco-Complete or Amazonia. Just afraid the ADA stuff will drop pH too low.

But anyways...this is your thread and build so forget my issues...on with your tank plans!!!

#3 ·
Mark's first ADA

Haha no worries! Thanks for being the first poster.

I'd try one of those, but they will drop it too low. I want it to sit right at 7 PH :/. Sigh. I guess we'll see what people recommend.

#7 ·
Mark's first ADA

Wow you're an active cleaner then! I almost never clean my filters. :p I probably should more often.

I have a 501 doing like 300% filtration on my Fluval spec + the original filter.

I think it is wonderful.

#13 ·
Good choice on tank! :)

For a small tank like this, trying out the up aqua shrimp sand would also be a nice option, since it is close to the price of a 3L bag of aquasoil.

The ricca stones I think would look nicer than the mesh and more natural I think. For moss, I also think weeping or taiwan moss would work.

#14 ·
Mark's first ADA

Hmm I didn't exactly love the weeping moss look. It seemed to point upward a lot. I'll try out a couple different ones. I'd love to do mini fiss, but I doubt I can muster the patience to get it to carpet.

#15 ·
^I thought you wanted a moss that pointed up for a carpet...

Any ways I'd suggest Fissidens Fontanus or flame moss. The flame will need regular trimming but it looks good when cut even. You know, you could always just go mini Xmas. :icon_lol:

#22 ·
Flourite and nearly any inert substrate would be my choice. They don't alter the chemistry of the water and do fine in all my tanks. With Tigers and such as your livestock I'd simply use distilled/RO water and add a mineral supplement to achieve the result. Work out exactly what you want your parameters at and follow the same dosage amount every water change and you'll be golden. Get a timer for your light and feed them every other day and it will grow and take care of itself. I imagine a monthly water change/pruning might be your only real maintanance to speak of. If the light is a bit high you can adjust your schedule or use some floaters to diffuse it a bit.

#24 ·
Mark's first ADA

You took the thoughts right out of my head. I think I will try the fluorite.

I'm no stranger to the floaters :) I'll be debating using them, though.

The only thought is PH swings, since I don't get any KH in my remineralizer

#23 ·
Hey MABJ, where in NY are you? I'm in NYC, and I have two Mini-S setups I just tore down, and they need to find a new home. I have the Solars that go with them. They've been used three years, but still look good. Ping me if interested. Going to post these in the FS section soon.

#28 ·

This was last week, before the glosso in front exploded. I'll get a picture sometime next week when I get more plants and a journal started.

It was my first scape, so it was hard to decide how to fit everything in. I decided not to go for a lone hill + tree look, as I've seen so many minimal-scapes lately I'm starting to not enjoy them as much.

Full on jungle for me, I prefer all the detail in that kind of scape. Every inch from top to bottom is going to be covered by a plant stem eventually.

With my shietty cameraphone (GS3) I cannot do the scape justice. You need to be eye level (sitting on my bed) to really see the depth. The back is 4"+ and the front is barely 1" to give you an idea.

#29 ·
Mark's first ADA

That's a great scape. I have one suggestion. Possibly some white/red sand inbetween the paths of stone.

I love it, though. Very original.

#44 ·
Mark's first ADA

Thanks! Appreciate it.

This has been changed a little.

The overall goal is the same. The equipment is the same, but the tank will be the new Tru-Aqua 3.4g. It is basically an ADA knockoff.

It was literally half the price. I am still going to get an ADA, but it will be put on hold for about 6-8 months.

#45 ·
Thanks! Appreciate it.

This has been changed a little.

The overall goal is the same. The equipment is the same, but the tank will be the new Tru-Aqua 3.4g. It is basically an ADA knockoff.

It was literally half the price. I am still going to get an ADA, but it will be put on hold for about 6-8 months.
Sounds wonderful. I hope the lower cost means you get to set the new tank up sooner!

#52 ·
Mark's first ADA

AVN--

Yeah I did :) I'm excited. I just need to figure out a substrate and I'm golden :(. I've gotta order it soon.

Any drawbacks to fluorite?

Only 6 here. I figured I'd start smaller and keep a super small bio load.

I probably will never do bacteria in a bottle for a real tank.

#51 ·
You got some of the blue diamonds? You should sell me some once they start breeding for you. ;)

My first ADA still has a couple weeks of DSM before I flood it, but I've already got several sponges filtered in another tank ready for an instant cycle.

#53 ·
Well, judging from Nick's posts I would say fluorite is a fine substrate to use. Blue diamonds--although they look amazing--are still just Neos. Which means they live in Neo params; you won't need to buffer the water down to 6.0 PH so long as you control your kH and gH.

How thick of a substrate layer are you planning on having? I have an unopened bag of amazonia that I would be fine with sending you some of. I don't think you want to mix substrates, but you could always have a flat rate box of amazonia underneath your fluorite to help buffer just a little bit. The small amount of amazonia would also leech ammonia to help with your early cycle.

#54 ·
Mark's first ADA

I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks man. I may/may not mix. It depends..

I'm really debating color now that I've decided on something inert.

I've actually never had amazing luck with neos. :|. I couldn't tell you why, but I just haven't lol.

I'm going to try extra hard to take care of these.

Any opinions on the best color for dark blues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.