Breeding Bronze Corydoras - tips and tricks - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Post Breeding Bronze Corydoras - tips and tricks

40 Gal Planted community, pristine water cond. I perform 25% - 50% biweekly WC, which is the normal maintenance routine. This maintains a roughly 40 PPM
nitrate"><font color=nitrate" /> nitrate">nitrate
level. Once I decided to start breeding, I began performing 10% cold WC every day. I would increase this to 25% when it’s raining outside due to the barometric pressure that, no doubt, the fish can sense. For the first couple weeks there were no notable behavioural changes within the shoal. They dig their noses within the substrate then rest, and the cycle repeats throughout the day, every day. During this period I only feed them frozen and fresh organisms (no pellets or wafers).

After two weeks I noticed increased activity. The males would chase the females around the tank mercilessly. This lasted about two or three days. Then the females reversed roles and chances the males around. Once I observed this, I knew breeding would commence very soon. Which they had. The courtship began and they were forming their famous “T” configuration. The females will clutch their eggs within their anal fins while the male will shake as if having a seizure and release his sperm onto the eggs. Once the female feels confident about the fertilization, she will look for an appropriate location. I find that without notable water current. The fish will lay their eggs on the glass. Usually in the front glass, or the opposite end of the filter so as to be in at least, some water current. This behaviour is quite interesting. They lay their eggs within current to avoid the formation of fungus or any other infection. In my case, I placed a 400gph circulation pump within the tank over some anubius plants. The leaves shake within the current. As soon as I placed significant current, they laid all their eggs in front of the circulation pump, on top of anubius plants. I collected the eggs and placed them in a customized contraption (I'll Post a picture soon picture).

The contraption includes a piece of wood with a hole drilled out from it and an Erlenmeyer beaker placed within the hole. The beaker is emersed into the tank water as to have the same temperature. The water is spiked with methylene blue calculated for 500ml of water. The eggs are placed in followed by an aerator. The aerator adjusted enough to create observable current but not to thrash them around. Temp is 28 – 29 C. and now we are here…waiting.

breed, community, corydoras, journal, plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode