The trio - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
The trio

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the planted tank hobby! I love it very much. I got my tanks back in December and have soon realized I made many mistakes. but that is how you learn right? I only have one betta in two of them and a few ghost, amano, and cherry (I think) shrimp. I also have some pond snails and some nerites. I love the look of rimless tanks and since I can't afford to spend big bucks on the good stuff I decided to go with Mr aqua.

Tank: 7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua cube (12x12x12)
Filter: AquaClear 20
Heater: Aqueon 50 watt
Substrate: Eco-complete
Lighting: Up Aqua 6.69" flexible LED mount
Fertz: CO2 liquid booster, root tabs, seachem comprehensive

Flora-not too sure on the correct names so I will try my best
Ludwigia(love this one)
dwarf onion
pygmy chain sword
hygrophila corymbosa (love this one too)

So as you can see there is a huge problem with my trio tanks....THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME ........!!!!

So I will begin to change a few things in order to get some different species of plants.

First is the light. I would like to change it because I feel that my current light isn't hitting certain spots. The light I plan to get for all of the trio is the
(Any suggestion on a good light or will this be good?)

Second is substrate. I think Eco complete is ok, I know its not the best. I'd love to get some ADA but its a bit costly I think, though I will look into it. Suggestions are welcomed! I was looking into the tropica brand as well (I think thats the name)

Third is fertz. I feel that is maybe where I am lacking. I use all this cheap stuff and it is doing just ok. My pygmy chain swords are barely hanging in there. I am trying to do this without CO2 use. If I want a larger species of plants do I need to get better fertz?

Last, is the filter. I feel like my trios look so unattractive with this ugly HOB filter just hanging in the back. Not sure if i want to spend money on a canister though. Any advice?

I thought I liked the look of drift wood but they never stopped releasing tannins. Now, I will keep one of my tanks with driftwood in it because I'm leaving one alone and rescaping the other two. Any advice on hardscape?

I really can't wait to start working on them one by one! I love working on my tanks...they get my mind off everything and they just make me feel awesome! I'm more of a fan of the jungle, wild, nicely misplaced look than the clean cut amazing aquaspaces I've seen which are breathtaking!

One last thing, I do want to do a carpet and I was thinking of maybe a different carpet for each tank. My options are which will depend on the above:

Echinodorus tenellus
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Marsilea hirsuta

Hopefully I can get some advice from you guys and become a better planted tank enthusiast.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
Interesting.. do you have all three tanks in a row?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode