Wow, I hadn't realized I haven't updated this log in over a month. Well, Happy Memorial Day or I guess it's actually Decoration Day. I heard that it is called "Decoration Day" because it was the day they would decorate the graves of those who had served their country.
I've had quite the roller coaster ride, not with the tank, just life in general. The tank is looking tolerable, not good, not bad. Livestock-wise, I woke one morning to find my male angel had decided to leap out and become a damp potato chip shape behind the tank a few days after my last post. He was quite a handsome fish, if they can be considered handsome, and I was rather disappointed he committed fish suicide. He must have leaped out very early in the morning, because I did not hear any splash or splat and I must have been dead to the world. (sigh) I was really hoping to get some babies from this pair.
My female has been doing well but seemed lost without her companion. She soon settled down and liked being the only one to compete for the small earthworms I would toss in the tank for her. I found angels really like small earthworms that I found crawling out of the pots my orchids are in when I would put them in the shower for their weekly watering. Needless to say, once the worms start drifting down, they don't make it to the substrate!
I had been fighting the ongoing Battle of Cyanobacteria
for quite a while, however, through perseverance and patience, I may be close to prevailing. We will see. The plants are spreading and I have many new runners of Vallisneria
. The tank seems to be filling in nicely. The lotus has shot up about eight pads and a few new small base leaves. I think it likes where it's at now that it has put down some nice roots. In the 20g, I think I had it too close to the other lotuses and it was being smothered. With plenty of room, this thing has exploded and is one of my favorites. I am hoping it will flower at some point, but don't know if they do or not. I'll have to research and find out. I may end up dirt-ing the 20g some time in the future to get the others to do this too.
The other plant that I put in initially, the sword, has come to a screeching halt growth-wise and has most of its leaves covered in algae. Well, maybe screeching halt is a bit harsh, but it does seem to grow v e r y slowly!
I just can't figure this one out. This thing will put out a small 1-1.5" leaf every now and then. I did not expect the Echinodorus osiris
to be this slow. Most of the swords like deep substrate and bright light and can grow quite vigorously, or so I've read. I can look under the tank and can see quite a bit of root growth directly under where it is located. It's not dead or dying, so I'll let it do it's thing.
I've been kicking around putting some kind of driftwood in this tank and had originally found a really neat piece of wood. However, it just did not seem to work with whatever "plan" I had in my mind, if one could actually call it a plan. Earlier, I did put a small bit of wood that I tied some moss to, but the size of it was too small and, quite frankly, it seemed out of place. I left it where I first placed it in a vain attempt to cover/hide the overflow pipes. Oh, darn, I forgot to take pictures of that!
I think I have found/have made a bit of driftwood that is more along the lines of what I had in my mind when I first started setting this tank up. I had been out hiking a few weeks ago and found several pieces of wood that, tied together, would make and interesting piece. Once the piece was sufficiently saturated, I was able to tie it to the original piece and it ended up being fairly interesting. The otos really seem to like grazing on it, too.
I have been going to my LFS over these past weeks to find a replacement mate for my female angel and have had my eye on a tank of angels that I really liked. To replace Mr. Decided-to-leap-to-his-death, I opted for a medium-sized, what looked to me, male fish. He seemed vigorous and held a patch of the display tank that he defended from all comers. I got him home and acclimated to the water over a period of about 3 hours. Additionally, I got a small school of seven Corydoras melini
as I want to see if having something digging around in the substrate will help alleviate some of the cyano problem I've been experiencing. The 20g doesn't have any problems like this and I suspect it is because of the small school of Brochis
I've got there. The C. melini
were acclimatized on the same schedule as "The Replacement" and quickly proceeded to dig and sift, their faces buried practically up to their eyes. Everyone settled in nicely and colors were returning to normal. I suspect that I was able to select a male as my female angel seemed genuinely interested in the little guy and there was no fighting or threat posturing noted. After a treat of blood worms, that everyone seemed to enjoy, the two angels were practically inseparable. The corys were also swimming and eating with gusto. I am quite pleased with this acquisition.
So far, I have been successful in avoiding the dreaded snail plague and really don't want to put any MTS or their relatives in this tank. Although, something to eat the light green fuzzy algae that I've got might be useful. At this time, I have three very fat Otos who seem to enjoy the fact that they are fighting a losing battle. This is the most successful I've been with Otos and am loathe to do anything to knock down the algae level at this time. Let's see what tomorrow brings!
Pterophylum scalare (0.1.1)
- In reality, I truly feel it's actually (1.1)
Otocinclus affinis (2.1)
- I think this is the breakdown based on body shapes - plump female and slightly thinner males.
Corydoras melini (0.0.7)
- I suspect the break down is (3.4) based on the activity and pelvic fin shapes I've seen tonight.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Be safe and clean waters.