PLANTS ARE HERE, thanks to gordonrichards! And the hardscape is up! Plants will be in the tank as soon as the temp is stable. The manzanita was purchased from bloomsandbranches . com . Awesome site for cheap manzanita, I got this shipped for 20$! But i have to soak it for a while before adding to the tank.
Do you know how to treat fresh manzy by any chance?
Interesting theory on the cap. When I dirted my tank I tried to use equal height of dirt and cap. Haven't had too many issues with algae, but I struggled with the ammonia spike for weeks it seemed (established filter). Water changes had little to no affect. Luckily all my fish survived. Black Diamond and kitty litter is news to me as well.
Guess I should check out the plantedtank forums more often!!!
Alright guys, I was wondering if i should start dosing a low amount of excel? Im not getting any algae but i just want some faster growth. The tank is under two 32W T8s. Any thoughts?
Maybe wait and see what happens first? Let it balance out then use excel?
Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-21-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Sorry no updates cause the tank is currently melting.. Most stems are mush. Vials aren't getting back but still have a few leaves on most. Crypts and sag are growing fine. Slow but it is growth. Wisteria is doing okay. Not melting too badly. Anubias is melting, one died. Ferns are not meeting but barely growing.
So, tip of the day. Don't stick emersed plants into a low tech tank...
Hey guys its been a long time since I have done an update and now I finally get this tank rolling and i am running into a few problems.
1st - Small bits of BBA on the drift wood. I have been removing them manually for the past weed whenever they pop up. How would I make them permanently disappear? Whenever I do water changes I soak the spots where the BBA was with H2O2 and hope for the best but it does come back and I continue to pluck them off. Any advice is welcomed, should i start dosing Excel with only 64W of light?
2nd - I am becoming worried about anaerobic bacteria( I think that is the bad one lol) where the rocks are laying on the deep spots. Tomorrow I am going to remove the two large rocks, which is sad cause I am really loving the layout, and dropping the floating wood down to allow more light to the crypts. Well here is a resent video of the tank and more explaining of the problems.
Your cap is trapping air at the soil layer in your substrate. IMO taking out the big rock is not going to make much of a difference. The reason people recommend going approxx 1 - 1.5" dirt and capping 1-1.5" is because it's enough to hold everything in place and the air can still escape.
If I were you, I would just stab the substrate several times a week to let the air out, but the problem is that your going to have to do this for about a year or so until all the organic material breaks down.
Your BBA problem is probably due to lack of co2. See when you do water changes you tank get hit with a co2 spike and then flat lines. In order to get ride of the BBA, I would cut back on the water changes and add a couple SAE's.