Getting dirty with a 55 Gallon. Junngle! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for sharing, I might want to try this in a future project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencaller View Post
Here's a very good low light plant

http://aquaristmagazine.com/marsilea...rpeting-plant/

It looks rather good as a carpet too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PLANTS ARE HERE, thanks to gordonrichards! And the hardscape is up! Plants will be in the tank as soon as the temp is stable. The manzanita was purchased from bloomsandbranches . com . Awesome site for cheap manzanita, I got this shipped for 20$! But i have to soak it for a while before adding to the tank.

Here are the plants, most are from emersed so I am expecting some major melting but oh well!

Here is my hardscape so far.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
I like it! The branch is awesome...make sure that you use it well! No moss trees, please!!! Keep it smart and unique, man!!
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

You might try Cryptocoryn wendtii 'bronze'. Very cool plant.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
Here is my hardscape so far.
You have gathered some awesome materials to work with and finally the weather is giving you a chance to get busy with it .
Want to throw out a couple questions / concerns and hope that's O.K. with ya?
Questions:
How thick a soil layer did you use?
How did you mix or set things, amounts used if mixed (ratio of the mix)?
It looks like a layer of the clay litter box material is showing below the cap and I'm wondering how you combined the materials.
How thick is the cap? Is it a combination mix of the Eco-Complete and black Diamond? Is the total substrate base thicker than 3"? (hard for me to gauge total depth in pics)
Concerns:
From things I've done here and reading the posts of others I would have a concern about decomposition gasses being trapped under large areas blocked by the rocks used in the scape. Soil / capping layer thickness greater than whats the average used can be a concern too. All soil mixes with organic content bubble for months, actually nearly a year in my experience dirting tanks but I consider that a good thing. My concern is if large areas under rocks aren't allowed to release then the bacteria can suffocate in the gas byproducts of organic decay (bad thing). When I've used large rocks in the scape setting up new tanks the soil layer is placed around (not under) large rocks. Under the rocks I used capping materials only. It's not just about whether anaerobic conditions are allowed it exist within the substrate (anaerobic bacteria always develop). The bacteria that consume organic materials releasing the mineral goodies for our plants generate a bunch of CO2 in the process. Trapped in the substrate that's not good thing either. Allowing the gas exchange is important with this type of setup. Several times I've had pretty large areas of the substrate start mounding into little hills. Poking into the base with planting tweezers released a bunch of trapped gasses (no hazard) and once it was released that was the end of it as far as it being a concern. Left in place or trapped until it builds up finding a way to burp can cause some problems.

Some soil and capping layer thickness averages based on the materials used.
MGOCPM 1.5 to 2" maximum depth.
Sand or blasting grit 1 to 1.5"
Fractured clays and rocks like Flourite or Eco-Comp not more than 2"

HTH

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

wkndracer-
I can always poke around the rocks with tweezers like you suggested. The dirt is very shallow, maybe 3/4 an inch, kitty litter half an inch, ecocomplete 1 1/2, and blasting grit an inch. None are mixed but the ecocomplete and sand mixed a little.
Here is a commentary to help you see the substrate, I read your comment after I made this video so keep in mind im not trying to answer your comment in this video
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I love cycled filters, everything reads 0 so far.
Any tips on the emersed growth? Like if I should trim the tops off to allow new growth or just let it do its thing?

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-13-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: G
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also lol. I just purchases 10 serpae tetras and 4 Madagascar rainbow fish. Do you think I could add them today? The filters are well established and I have a very large plant mass.
And no ammonia yet.
Okay so from experience my serpaes are hard as nails so they are going in. I'll checking the params daily so I'm not worried. The rainbows are going into the 10g just to be 100% safe. I will add them along with Otos in a week.

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-13-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: G
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Day 3: everything still reads 0! I think the 3 inch cap is doing its job. I took note of the dwarf sag when I read planting it, particularly to this one plant. I was checking for what new growth it had and it had none. Well that plant has new growth! Almost all of them do, but I'm not sure if they came like that but on a couple of them they didn't and do now! The emersed stems are so the same though. Cannot wait for new growth on them. So far only new growth is the sag, ferns, and maybe a tiny bit on the crypts. The serpae ate currently setting up their pecking order. Tearing up their own fins lol. But they are happy and eating. I added a IAL to the filter to prevent any fungus on the torn fins. Ah, I'm in love with this tank already. The Madagascar rainbow fish are doing well too in the plant holding tank. I feed them last night. Well ill be doing daily updates for anyone reading.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Rainbows added. One mysteriously disappeared out of the holding tank.. I've looked everywhere, seriously. Tanks next to it, the floor, threw all the plants.. Everywhere. The microglanis iheringi don't look fat or anything like they ate a fish. I mean heck, they where kept with neons and amano and bone of those went missing. So odd.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Everything once again still reads zero. I MIGHT have like 1ppm of nitrate but whatever lol. Ill do a 10% water change later today. Rainbows are lovin' life in there. Swimming threw the vals and junk. The serpaes leave them alone which is good. Amanos will be added Wednesday at the earliest.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

happy to read that the tank is behaving and you see minimum drama using the bagged dirt

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's all bout the cap. I tried dirting a 40B before with not enough of a cap and oh, i had algae like crazy. I made sure this wont happen again! Well ima get more rainbows today. I feel bad for the two i left at petsmart.

I returned the serpae tetras. They got mean towards the rainbows so that was too far for me.

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-16-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: g
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ah Mr ammonia is showing his face! I have less than .25ppm. Water change time!

Ammonia free again , took the chance to clean up some of the melting as well.

Also, I might just keep only Madagascar rainbows in this tank as far as the main fish. I simply love these guys. They love the water changes too.
Maybe the rainbows and lots of pygmy cories? And if course otos and amanos. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear done input on everything.

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-17-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: g
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh and will the black diamond blasting grit tear up Cory whiskers?

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-17-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode