The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf CRS tank - Split seam!

29K views 88 replies 32 participants last post by  bigd603 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw these kits at a LFS a month or two ago, but didn't get one because of the price. I was working on setting up a Petco bookshelf tank I already had yesterday, but decided to just go for it and get the glass one instead. I'll share my "unboxing" in the next post for those curious about the new kits.

Equipment
6 gallon Mr. Aqua Bookshelf/Office tank
[strike]One or[/strike] two planted AC20s (basically just some lucky bamboo and what I'm pretty sure is pothos, might add more later)
Included Hidoli brand led light fixture

Hardscape
Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Manzanita
Yamaya stones

Flora
Peacock moss
Hydrocotyle sp.
Ludwigia sp.
Blyxa japonica
C. wendtii green
Anubias nana

Fauna
CBS and/or CRS
Boraras Maculatus
Ramshorn snails

March 21, 2013

April 14, 2013

May 14, 2013

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
While I feel these kits are way overpriced ($160 for this size), I know lots of people own the Petco one and have asked about similar glass tanks so I thought I'd go for it so I could share it on here. I guess at some point they're supposed to release just the tanks for sale, but for now they're only available with the filter and light included. The included packaging calls it an "Office Aquarium," but their website calls it "Mini Bookshelf."

The light actually looks pretty bright. It says it's 9.4 watts and has 4 blue leds, the rest are white. Not sure what color temperature they are. I didn't see that listed anywhere. I included the last picture with the wood in the tank so you could see the light hitting off something other than the reflective glass and my desk. The fixture itself feels... lightweight. Definitely does not feel super durable, but it looks nice. As long as it grows plants I'll be happy since these long, low tanks are difficult to properly light.

The HOB seems fine. Very typical looking media and build quality. Even includes a little prefilter sponge and extension piece for deeper tanks. The only reason I probably won't use it is that I already have two ac20's.

#23 ·
So bad news on this tank guys. The light is already giving me trouble. The leds themselves seem okay so far, but the wiring is junk. The switch barely works anymore and you have to toggle the switch on and off to get the light to flicker and finally come on. I called the lfs that I bought it at and asked if it was returnable since I think tanks normally are not. He told me to me to bring it down and they'd "work something out." I'm hoping at least store credit.

It sucks because I like this tank and I know I could just get a different light for it, but the price was ridiculous for just a tank. I could get a 45-f or a couple little cubes instead and use my own equipment for less.

#24 ·
So I was afraid that I would tear the tank down, take it back, and the they'd try the light only to have it work just fine. Like when you take your car to a mechanic. So I played with the switch a few (read: a lot) times and it seems that the more times I switch it on and off the better the switch was responding. Question is did the switch just need broken in? Is the issue only when it's cold? Should I still try to take it back? Hmmm...

#25 ·
Why tank the entire kit back? Can't they just resolve the light problem?

They should be able to work with their distributor.

The tank is cool enough that I think you should keep it if they won't replace just the light fixture for you. It's something that someone here on the forum could easily repair for you if necessary. Would be worth the hassle in my opinion.

#30 ·
Well the switch has been fine since I messed with it that day, so I decided to just not worry about it. I'm thinking it really was the plastic casing and not the actual wiring that was the issue. Sorry I kind of jumped the gun on that one.

Another good thing, the light is not only growing plants, but growing them well. The hydrocotyle is growing fast and staying nice and low. No reaching up towards the light.

I switched the plants up a little today. I wanted some height so I switched the m. minuta out for some needle leaf java fern. I also took out the fissidens rocks. They were too small and going to be swallowed up by the hydrocotyle. The second hob is now on as well. I'll get a picture soon, probably tomorrow.

Sorry I'm not great with plant names, but I think they're pothos. Pothos and philodendron are similar, but I'm pretty sure those are pothos. And yes, they do help with filtration, no different than any other plant. Here's a whole thread of planted hobs: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170324

#28 ·
If the store you purchased it from still has the same kits in stock or a kit in stock with that light they should be able to swap the light out for you. They could than return the defective kit back to their supplier and the supplier should replace it with one that works. Problem solved for you and they keep a customer.

#31 ·
Got a picture today. I added it to the first post, but I'll put it here as well:

I've been keeping the water level down a little so the hobs break of the surface film, but it's a little lower than normal in the pic. I hadn't topped it off yet.

You can see how nice and low the hydrocotyle is growing where it's spreading forward. The taller stuff in the back is what I originally planted. I need to get in there and poke it down into the substrate the next time I do a water change. Starting to think about ordering my shrimp as well, probably next time speedie posts his sale thread. I have my two neon green rasboras in there right now and I can't decide if I should get a few more of those or go with the original plan of pygmy cories.

#32 ·
Re: Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf shrimp tank - unboxing in post #2

A side note: I had 0 luck with dwarf corys in a 12g long - most of them perished :(.

The survivors were moved to a 36g and are doing fine. I now also have a larger school in a 10g.
My only half-sensible guess is that they might need more depth. Just something to watch out for.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#35 ·
I'm pretty sure it's h. japan. It didn't come with the species name when I bought it at a lfs, but it looks very much like the h. japan I was sent by pweifan for my wabi kusa. I don't know the par value of the light because I don't have any way to test it. I'm treating it as a lower light setup (no co2 and minimal ferts), but we'll see in the longterm if I end up getting algae. All I've had so far is some GDA on the glass which is pretty normal in new setups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.