The Buce Crypt Mountain Tank Breakdown see last post - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good.

Hara jerdoni was my favorite cat. I didn't know mszinkzd had them. I might have to get them again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
Looking good.

Hara jerdoni was my favorite cat. I didn't know mszinkzd had them. I might have to get them again.
Well I ended up getting cory habrosus instead of hara's, but thats A okay with me! I'm super pumped!

Time for a few new Updates!!

I am now the proud owner of
13 rosy loaches
12 cory habrosus
8 ottos
3 Dario Hysginon
8 amano shrimp
16 danio erythromicron

Thanks Msjinkzd!!!!!!

Plans are to have in the 20 gallon:
13 rosy loaches
12 cory habrosus
4 amanos
16 danio erythromicron
9 nerite snails

In the 10 gallon:
4 amano shrimp
3 Dario Hysginon
8 ottos

I plan on trying my hand at breeding the darios over the summer Eventually it would be cool to have a few breeding trios in there.

For now though I have everything from my most recent batch of orders in my 10 gallon for quarantine:
8 cory's
9 rosys
6 ottos
4 amanos
3 dario hysginon

I'll probably wait a couple of weeks before I add everything to each tank. Mostly because I have a lot of aquascaping to do with the 20 gallon.

I've been thinking that I don't really like the large rock formation all that much. Its very closed off and most of the fish liked to hide behind it.
This coupled with the fact that I have a box full of great manzanita from Tom Barr. So i've been working on a few scapes and would like some opinions. I would like to go for something with more long term pleasing natural look. So i've been thinking that a sort of sloped branchy hill will look pretty cool with some of my smaller bits of granite pressed closeby. Here are a few examples:

1st scape

2nd scape

3rd scape

4th scape

4th scape variation

Which do you like best?? My favorite is scape 4 and its variation. I was thinking something like that one with maybe a few branches pressed into the sand to look like roots, and some moss on the tips of the branches and buces all along the base.

I would put it starting to the left side going to the right as shown in the pics.

I am also going to replant everything in the front to accomodate the new scape when I put it in. That way I don't have to tailor the hardscape just for the plants placement.

I'm going to keep playing with the scapes for now and see if I can come up with something truly spectacular.

Last edited by pianofish; 05-22-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: edit
post #33 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few pictures of the fish.

Rosy's in the 10 gallon

Sneaky Dario Hysginon

Rosy posin' in the 20 gallon

Everyone having fun in the 10 gallon

One of the bigger rosy's

Male Dario lookin all swoll

FTS

Left

Right

In the left picture you can really see the sloping effect going on in the tank! I plan on using this to my advantage with my scape setup! I'm super pumped to put this all together. Please give me feedback on this leg of my fish tank journey!!
post #34 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Looks like a really great start, and it's encouraging to see all the crypts doing well!! Nice work!

In terms of hardscape, I would express a little concern about adding too much. Yes, the wood is from The Great Barr, but he would certainly agree that sometimes "less is more." I wouldn't put all of those branches in there; you will create an eyesore and draw attention away from the crypts. Hardscape should compliment the tank, not demand attention. Besides, taking a few branches out will give the buce's more room to grow and make it look more natural.

Of course, it is difficult to really comment with much certainty until I see the wood next to, or in front of, the tank for perspective. "Branchy-er" is the best way to go, and I would probably start on the left and trail it off to the right.

My two cents, at least.
post #35 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Looks like a really great start, and it's encouraging to see all the crypts doing well!! Nice work!

In terms of hardscape, I would express a little concern about adding too much. Yes, the wood is from The Great Barr, but he would certainly agree that sometimes "less is more." I wouldn't put all of those branches in there; you will create an eyesore and draw attention away from the crypts. Hardscape should compliment the tank, not demand attention. Besides, taking a few branches out will give the buce's more room to grow and make it look more natural.

Of course, it is difficult to really comment with much certainty until I see the wood next to, or in front of, the tank for perspective. "Branchy-er" is the best way to go, and I would probably start on the left and trail it off to the right.

My two cents, at least.

So I really have been thinking about what you said about making it more branchier and less piling. I've also read one of amano's articles about driftwood placement and have been really researching different styles of dw placement. And without further ado here is what I've come up with. I'm really happy with it and I think that I'll really enjoy planting with it and be able to really enjoy it for years to come. I boiled the wood pieces and should be putting it all together next week sometime!

I also made a sketch with my vision for the future when it grows out. Its all I could do to superimpose the wood in relation with the tank.

So as a description for the sketch.

Everything outlined is a piece of hardscape.
Essentially , I plan on pulling out everything in the front of the tank except for the Crypt Affinis 'Metallic Red'. Other than that, I plan on replanting most of the plants around this hardscape to make it look more natural and create that "nature just took over" look The stems in the back middle are Hygro corymbosa and Hygro sp "brown". All along the middle DW branch will be Buce. Lamandau purple. Behind that will be Buce. Golden Bell. And behind that forming the bush infront of the stems will be Buce. Bukit Betung.

All of my buces are putting out baby plantlets so I should be able to get a good start on the placement.

My buce inspiration:

Credit to Ragn4rok, (I'll take down the pic if you don't want me to have it posted here.)

Lastly, on the tips of the DW, i plan on trying out different species of moss. Maybe fissidens on the bare right two in the sketch.

Lemme know what you think,
Cheers!!!

Last edited by pianofish; 07-25-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: fix
post #36 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fish List:

12 Rosy Loaches
12 Cory Habrosus
17 Danio Ethyromicron
4 Amano shrimp
7 Nerite Snails

I just want to say that I love Rosy Loaches and Cory Habrosus!!!! Definitely some of the coolest fish I've ever ran across!
post #37 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh man, how did I miss this?!? Looking good! I like your drawing of what you would like the grown in tank.
post #38 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Looks like a nice plan, Joshua. Fissidens is a beautiful moss, and would add a nice, soft touch after it takes. I hate the idea of you ripping up all of the crypts and starting over, but it'll be worth it in the long run. Just watch your algae.....many tanks can get crapped out following a major makeover!
post #39 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah man, ill make sure to change out my co2 and reduce the photo period just a hair to accommodate the plant growth stunt. I'm really excited though to actually be able to do this rescape. I'm seeing great results with my tank so far and I think that this will really add a fresh element to it. I've never had a tank suitable for mosses and buces before so I'm really looking forward to the challenge.
I'm also ready to get all of my fish out of quarantine an into my tanks. They are all in a tiny 10 gallon that I do weekly water change on. But it's so sad seeing so many fish in such a tiny place, haha.

The date for the rescape is Thursday! So wish me luck!!
post #40 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have always wanted to make a crypt tank.
Wonderful tank there
post #41 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

nice looking crypt tank bud!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #42 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer View Post
I have always wanted to make a crypt tank.
Wonderful tank there
Thanks man! I really do love crypts. They are very slow, but are much more managable than stems in my opinion. I'm actually looking to phase out the Hygro brown I have and replace them with larger Bucehphalandra varieties. I have a big portion of some mystery Buces coming in this week, along with a few other goodies for my rescape. So I'm pretty pumped. My goal is going to eventually be to have a tank like those Indonesians!!! One day!!!! One day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
nice looking crypt tank bud!

Thanks Chad,
Its coming along quite nicely. I can't wait to get all of my hardscape situated this week so that I can start filling in the gaps with more Buces haha. I'm thinking equal portions crypt and Buce.

So on a side note,
I have 2 portions of Fissidens coming in this week, as well as some Anubias Micro/Petite. And also Buce "green Lamandau", and then the aforementioned big portion of a mystery Buce from Wwh2694. I'll probably be rescaping tomorrow, and then adding to it throughout the week as plants get here.

Thanks for looking guys!
Joshua
post #43 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #44 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #45 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Mission success. Update to follow!
The suspense is horrible! lol. We want an update already! ;p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode