The Planted Tank Forum banner

"Digging' My 75 Gallon First Dirt

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ge2655 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to extend a hearty hello from a new member who has been a long time lurker and an even longer time hobbyist, who is about to embark into my first attempt at a dirt tank.

Regards,
-Gary

#3 ·
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to dirty tanking!

A lot of time and effort involved in how you set up that tank and also in the details conveyed with the video. Nicely done on both counts. Hope you enjoyed all those hours worked and are rewarded in the long term by great plant growth.

Rest easy as the bubbles are no cause for alarm. Be mindful of any mounding if entrapped gases should buildup but other than that the random release of CO2 and other minor gases is harmless.

Experiences here have led me to believe it's best not to complicate things too much. The consistency of the Scott's product has provided me dozens of great growing tanks that angelfish and others are happy to live in and multiply.

Bang for the buck dirt works :smile:

#4 ·
A lot of time and effort involved in how you set up that tank and also in the details conveyed with the video. Nicely done on both counts. Hope you enjoyed all those hours worked and are rewarded in the long term by great plant growth.
Thank you for the nice comment and yes it has been a rewarding endeavor.

This is an update through the first four days.

Regards,
-Gary

#7 ·
Thanks for the compliment, the videos are fun to do but a challenge not to come off as pompous.

More plants were intended but my LFS plant order was delayed, so I was forced to wait a couple of days.

I'm hoping that a shortened photo period (5 hours p/day) keeps a large algae bloom at bay until the clean up crew is ready for work. So far, so good.

Nitrite level has been stubborn, tested at zero, then jumped back to .25 ppm. Few more days, I reckon.

Regards,
-Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.