Lil boy blue's 20 gallon....updated(10-22-06)56k - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey hey. Great growth . Love all that green! Hiding that equipment (behind the plants) made the tank look much nicer.

Ted

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to A Hill
beautifull tank... was the hm hard to get established?

-=- fish newb -=-
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It took a few weeks before it started to show fast growing...now i have to trim it once a week. If I dont im afraid I will have a forest...

And thanks Unirdna, i think so too...
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK so heres a update.....i decided to change the whole scape. I Changed the substrate to Soilmaster with seachem plant tabs and peat on the bottom.....I havent really tried aquascape it, so comments are welcome and tips too.....ill post better pictures once the water clears....how do you like it?Better the the last???
Brandon

The plants that are in the tank right now are Java Fern, HM, crypts, and L. arcuata behind the dirftwood on the left....
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks great,i can already imagine how the tank will be like..a nice carpet up front and several stems on the left,behind the piece of drift wood..am i right? Just my imagination running wild.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup...thats pretty much what i was thinking....but what do you think i should put as a foreground, i dont really want HM(its running wild in my ten).....Would a grassy plant look better??
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

What happend to the HC? If you have HM, you can trim it down to a size you like and have that as a carpet. I personally love a HM carpet. HC is great also. You can go with Glosso but you'll have to replant it a couple of times to get it to fill in nicely. That takes time and patience. You can go with Riccia or Moss tied down also.

But if you really want that grassy look, then go with some micro sword or such.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have HM in my ten gallon right now so i was looking for somthing different....dont get me wrong i love the HM too...but i was just seeing if there are other choices...anything that would look better in the new scape....
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

Glosso, Marsilea, HC (especially just because I dig it :P), Riccia, Micro Sword and blah...

You have some nice space there to fill in. You can also mix and match with those.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

why not dwarf hair grass? now granted i planted a carpet in my 55g... and i thought my back was broken the day after.... but this is a 20 it wont be that bad....

- fish newb -
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah that was what i was thinking of, ill go to my lfs to see if they have any......thanks for the ideas...
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil boy blue
Yeah that was what i was thinking of, ill go to my lfs to see if they have any......thanks for the ideas...
some planting tips.... get a nice surface and cover it with a towl. then take the HG out of the little pot and seperatie it all! make it LITTLE groups of around 5 pieces of grass... then plant them. will probably take no more than an hour or two for your tank. for my 55g i used one pot and i think it took me about 4 hrs. the constant bending killed me.

ohhh also make sure to have tweezers!

- fish newb
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So i went to the lfs and they didnt have any HG...so i went home bummed and started goin through the HM i pulled out and found microsword!!!! I remember planting it before i even knew about all the lighting and co2 stuff....it was engulfed by the HM and i totally forgot about it.....so im goin to plant the Microswords....any suggestions???
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmm,micro swords should be alright,but they require constant pruning because from my experience,they can really grow~! since your tank is a 20gal,you may want to opt for shorter plants as your foreground to give the tank a greater depth. Even for my 100gal,i will be planning to use HC as my foreground. Or perhaps like what some of the others have suggested,you may wanna try riccia? The pearling effect can bring out a whole new dimension to your tank. But the disadvantage of riccia is that it requires quite abit of maintenance as the larger clumps tend to float up easily. Hairgrass can be quite alright also but i have observed them to be rather dark coloured at times so it might be tricky to find a balance in your aquascape.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i planted the micro sword, im goin to watch it and see what happens....but i will look in to the riccia to be the next plant if the micro is to long and doesnt look right in the scape....thanks will post soon....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode