Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tyrone, Oklahoma
The stand is constructed out of red-oak. I used "Minwax Dark Walnut" stain on it. It was the closest color that I could find that matched our dining room table and chairs. I used the "Minwax Rub-on" varnish to add the protective gloss finish to it. Mel has worked real hard on planting this behemoth, and I know she isn't satisfied yet. Any suggestions are VERY much welcomed. I really dig the idea of the grapevine.
Where can you find grapevine that is prep'd for tank use? If you have it growing locally, what do you do to treat it so that it can be used in the tank?
The only problems we are having right now are ones dealing with evaporation. No lids on the sump yet. I suspect that having lids will curb the evaporation quite a bit. We really haven't had to many issues with the way that the "system" actually works. I am having a bit of trouble getting a durso, which is on the right side of the tank, to flow as fas as the one that is on the left. I read that its because of the long length of pipe that I am using. So needless to say, I am still playing with the airflow on it. Its not the fact that it doesn't flow, but I think that it just needs alot more tweaking.
I had to throttle back the output of the pump to get a flow that wouldn't "suck" the inhabitants into the overflows, because it will. All in all the tank has turned out just like what I had imagined. I had to change a few things while I was building the system, but for good reasons, not because the wouldn't fit, or whatnot. The only major change was the pump. Little giant makes NOISY pumps. The pumps are VERY powerful, but VERY LOUD. Blueline is the manufacturer that we ultimately went with, and for good reason. They make, in my oppinion, the best pumps out there. Powerful, and super quiet. Hell the water makes more noise than the pump does, and thats the way it should be.
Thanks for all of your comments, please keep them coming!