Low Tech 90 Gallon w/ DIY Sump - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Low Tech 90 Gallon w/ DIY Sump

Just purchased a used 90 gallon off of Craigslist locally. Figure i got a pretty good deal on tank/stand/canopy with a brand new 48" T5no fixture for 180 bucks. In the coming weeks im looking to build a sump trickle filter / refugium but initially I have some questions / concerns regarding the tank and stand.

Stand is a fairly inexpensive pine set up that to me does not look to be the most sturdy. Does this look pretty standard for a tank of this size? I was thinking it may be best to try and do some reinforcing prior to setting up and adding water to the tank.

Should I be concerned?

Second, the tank has what the previous owner called grazing? on the inside of the glass, said that the guy that he had purchased it from pretty much never cleaned it and it ate into the surface. When its we its pretty hard to see but empty its pretty obvious in the pictures. Anything that can be done to repair? Ive tried vinegar and a razor blade thinking maybe it was just calcium build up but that didn't have any effect.

Came with a brand new Deep Blue 2 bulb 48" T5 normal output. Is this going to be enough light for a 24" deep tank to be a low light non CO2 setup for decent plant growth. Figured I would replace the 10k and actinic with 6500k or maybe one 6500 and a plant bulb.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Overflow design:

Tank level will be adjusted by cutting the vertical pipe prior to the elbow/tee. Is there any guideline as to how long the vertical runs should be? or just sufficient to come down below the water level. still need to pick up a strainer cap and will mount that down from the first set of elbows inside the tank.

I'm looking to paint this black, plain old Krylon OK? Any precautions need to be taken if it will be exposed to the water inside the tank?

These components are all 1-1/2" pvc. From what I can tell from the only overflow size calculator i've found this should be good for the pump i think im going to go with

Amazon.com: Danner Mag Drive Pump Model 9.5 -950 gph: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Danner Mag Drive Pump Model 9.5 -950 gph: Pet Supplies

Is this too much flow for a 90? and does anyone use these pumps or have another to recommend?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode