I'm a bit late in posting these updates. I had to make some changes due to the kids' allergies. I took apart the 4th wabi and removed the grass (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Eliocharis sp) from the rest.
First wabi (click the link to see the stop motion video. I've updated the video to combine all the photos to date.):
* Removed the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
* Removed the Eliocharis sp and the terrestrial plant and replaced it with Marsilea quadrifolia. The Marsilea is just sending up new stems. I've actually found a few aphids in here I keep removing them when I see them, so I'm hoping I can keep ahead of them breeding. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that some of the original plants were terrestrial when they were gathered.
* I added the UG, Ludwigia arcuata and Persica sp 'Kawagoeanum' from the wabi I took down. This has become my favorite wabi because it's just so beautifully green with a few splashes of color.
Fantastic job, Scott! I love 'em!!! You could try just picking them off with your fingers, or taking a QTip with rubbing alcohol and gently dabbing them with that. I have them in my set up. They're annoying, but provide a nice live food for my fish. My Microdevario go bonkers for them!
The funny thing about the third one is I felt it was "cheating" somehow to use the gravel as well as the wabi ball itself. As soon as I was done adding the UG, I knew it was the way to go. I'm really glad it turned out so well.