Scott's wabi kusa collection - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Scott, my thread is up! http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...06#post2698506

It was surprisingly easy when someone does all the dirty work for you Yours look great by the way. Is that some type of Marsilea in your second one? Or is that the MU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stacy, I posted in your thread as well, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for following up on the RAOK and letting me see what a great job you did. You should be pleased, it turned out really well.

Good eye. There is some Marsilea in the back corner I didn't add to the list, but the taller plant you're seeing I think is some kind of terrestrial plant. I ordered some plants with the intent of making these wabi kusas, so the seller threw in some extra plants that I really don't know what they are. If I were trying to recreate the look, I think I would try either Marsilea or Ranunculus inundatus.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bad news on the experimental 4th wabi... I'm going to have to take it down. Something about it seems to have really bugged my kids' allergies. It really is starting to look like it could have worked which is nice to know, but obviously everyone's health is more important.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Scott.. Just a thought- What if I use Aquasoil rather using clay ? And mix the sphag moss in Aquasoil ? And then cover it with moss and plant the plants !!
Will that work !! Coz since my gf has seen your wabikusa, she desperately wants one. I think this is what I'm gonna do this weekend. Yesterday she went and bought a glass tray for this.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sumer, I've never used Aquasoil so I don't know what the consistency is like. If it holds together once it's been wrapped in fishing line, I'm sure it'd work just fine. You'd probably want to use some Osmocote Plus or something in there too (or just push liquid ferts when you water it).
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

ok so here's a thought..
what if i use small few marble sized rocks (or even marbles) to give the consistency in the core

then wrap it with aqua soil as best i can, and layer on top with sphagnum moss, and other mosses i want as my top layer.... THEN! ... wrap it with with really flexible stainless steel mesh or, cut a piece of loofa to hold everything together? I'd probably die it with a zip tie.
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

loofah seems to be a good idea. But as Scott has mentioned- You have to mix the sphagnum moss in the soil while making the ball. The moss will wrap the ball thereafter.

And here's another challenge- Just a moment ago my gf called me from a LFS and told me that she has bought some HC/ baby tears to use on our wabikusa. How would I plant babytears on the wabi ball !!
The only solution I could think of is- put the piece od baby ears on the ball and put some toothpick or pin through the mat into the ball. That will hold the babytears on the ball.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

probably planting will be the tough part i think.
how would one plant them without kinda... breaking the ball? right? haha
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Enough theory learnt. Time for practical
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

gnod, I intentionally didn't put any rocks into the wabi ball itself. It will give it weight, but I felt the clay was heavy on its own. I know the ADA brand wabi kusa do have rocks in them though.

Sumer, I use a pair of tweezers and grab the base of the HC and shove it as deep as possible into the wabi base. This where the clay really helps because it holds the stems/roots in place if you remove the tweezers carefully. That's where the Aquasoil would make me nervous, I'm not sure how "sticky" it is and if it would be solid enough.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

question on sphagnum moss. do i just get any kind say from petco? wondering if there's a difference say one from petco which i think is used more for reptile housing uses? vs stuff sold in home depot which i assume is for more plant related projects.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There may be a difference, I'm not sure. I get the stuff from the garden center/nursery. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just rinse whatever you get off and remove any foreign debris. It should be fine
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

woot! gonna try this out. be on the look out guys!
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Planted Member

I'm curious about your lighting, I don't think you mentioned it...

I've used a 13W cool white CFL with mild success for my wabi's. I had another one under a 9W CFL which didn't grow as nicely as the 13W. I was thinking of trying a 23W next
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got a 13W 6500K CFL over the big wabi that'll be coming down and a 22W "full spectrum" CFL over the other 3 wabis. I'd say the 22W might be worth the upgrade, but make sure you've got 6000K-7000K or a full spectrum bulb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode