d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - SHRIMP!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - SHRIMP!!!

I'm looking or LOTS of help on this one!

My venture into planted tanks at the time of this writing is only 23 days. with my 4g AIO nano. Wasn't much to think about with that one other than substrate/stone/plants and some ferts. For my new 12g long, i want to take my time picking the best equipment, working on a good layout, might do a dry start, etc. It's located in my office which I'm at m-f 9-5 and not on weekends. It needs to be fairly low maintenance (performed during lunch) and able to be left alone all weekend. Also the occasional vacation stint of a week or two with an informed co-worker able to do simple tasks like feed the tank. For this tank I am willing to spend some money on equipment like co2, ph monitor, etc with the intent on making things easier/less time consuming. For instance, getting a pressurized co2 system that can run for many weeks, rather than a diy that runs for much less time and needs constant attention. With this build, time/ease of use takes priority over the almighty dollar.

Overall look will be Iwagumi. This proportion tank just lends itself so well to that.
Although I was drawn to this piece of driftwood as seen in the pics below. Can this be used along with stone to create an Iwagumi layout? I just liked that it was a bit epic for this size tank and reaches out the top. So i'm kinda torn at the moment.

For inhabitants, probably little red cherry shrimp or crystal shrimp, a school of some itsy bitsy fish, nothing major. Opinions please!

So with that said, let me list what I have so far...

TANK: Mr Aqua 12g Long
SUBSTRATE: 2 bags of ADA Amazonia AquaSoil
POWERHEAD: Ecotech Marine MP10w (i just happen to have this laying around, figured it might work well for such a long tank)
MAT: I have an old black yoga mat I'm going to cut up to place under the tank.
STAND: Will be going on a low book shelf I have in my office already.

Now for a list of things I'm going to need a lot of help/opinions on! Please contribute!

LIGHTING:
I know the first question will be what kind of plants do i want to keep. Well... I'm not really sure. Definitely some kind of carpet. I like dwarf baby tears, i like hair grass. That's really my only definite requirement. Maybe some mosses depending on how we scape it. I'm too new at this to really be into specific plants so I can adapt to whatever. My main concern here is that I would like something that does not have to be suspended because we have a drop ceiling in my office and I'm not sure what's going on above it or whether I really want to get into modifying anything up there to support/hang a light. I'd rather do some kind of clip on or diy suspension.

FILTER:
I'm looking at canister filters. Currently thinking one of the Eheim Ecco Pro models, just not sure which one being that the tank is so long. I have the MP10 so would that help with circulation, allowing me to get one of the smaller models? Please advise! I am not interested in the Classic models... would rather have one of the newer designs.

CO2:
I need suggestions for it all! The main unit, bubble counter, drop checker, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be top of the line for no good reason, just needs to fit my main requirements above. If top of the line is what's needed to do that, than so be it.

MISCELLANEOUS:
Heater? Ph monitor? Temp gauge? Anything else you can think of that I would need and would be best in the 12g long.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and comments! I want to make sure this gets setup right!
Now here's some pics to start off the build!





Probably too much soil but at just $30/bag not a big deal to have extra!


The epic driftwood









Last edited by d2mini; 04-10-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: update
d2mini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,443
Looks good...

I recommend getting a Fluval 106. It's like the newer Eheims at a lower price. I have it on my 6g rimless and in my office. It's super quiet. It has a modular design, flow control, and self priming.

For lighting, the Finnex Ray 2 is great. It's strong enough for carpeting plants. You'll need a co2 system for sure. You should get the Aquatek mini regulator for paintball. It's sold through Aquatek in their Amazon and eBay stores. However, through their eBay store they throw in free stuff like co2 tubing. It comes with a bubble counter and integrated check valve. You'll just need to buy a diffuser and paintball tank.
Brian_Cali77 is offline  
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fort Knox
Posts: 410
Definitely need to get some sort of fisssiden or moss on that amazing driftwood, it will eventually grow up and out of the tank nicely!

Also just want to say that site you linked in your sig is awesome!

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
Barbgirl is offline  
post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ameri,CA
Posts: 619
Congrats on getting the 12 gallon long! Have you checked out the 12G Rimless Club yet? That should give you some inspiration for now. You do have an interesting piece of wood with some good character. That 100 angle looks unnatural to me and if you do keep the wood, you'll need to suspend the light higher off of the tank.

I would suggest mini fissidens and mini pelia for a low maintenance tank. You probably won't need CO2 if you go that route. If you do go with HC (dwarf baby tears), you'll need the CO2 and you'll need to trim it to have a nice carpet. It is a PITA to trim but looks nice.

Good Luck!
Kai808 is offline  
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moreno Valley
Posts: 19
some flame moss on that wood growing out of the tank would definitely look grat
hecto33 is offline  
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
Yeah, see! I'm torn on the wood! It's cool, but at the same time I really like the simple iwagumi layout and the way it projects that crazy sense of scale.

But if I was to keep the wood, in regards to the 90 degree bend, i'd probably bury the bend. Maybe add a little more branches to that upright portion.

I might have to go pick up some ryuo stone, add the soil and start playing around.
Thinking I would go pretty heavy on the right side with rock and plants and then have a fairly bare left side, maybe with some white sand.

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
d2mini is offline  
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I would suggest mini fissidens and mini pelia for a low maintenance tank. You probably won't need CO2 if you go that route. If you do go with HC (dwarf baby tears), you'll need the CO2 and you'll need to trim it to have a nice carpet. It is a PITA to trim but looks nice.

Good Luck!
Thanks!
Are you saying that neither the fissidens or the pelia need trimming?
Do they get planted into the substrate and grow roots? Or is it like riccia that needs to be attached to something?

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
d2mini is offline  
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,748
For a filter I would go with an eheim, proven workhorses of the planted tank. A 2215 or 2217 (your choice) should provide a lot of biological surface area.

For media, I would upgrade and stuff it with ADA Bio Rio and a bag of Purigen for water polishing.

Lighting you could use a Finnex Fuge Ray or Ray 2 or a simple T5 single or T8 or T12 fixture.

CO2 regs you could build your own, but buying a pre made one would be easier and simpler. I would take a look at GLA regs and Atomic Regs. Those are nice quality and get reliable reports. Again, as a CO2 beginner you don't want gas leaks or reg failure.
Green_Flash is offline  
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ameri,CA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thanks!
Are you saying that neither the fissidens or the pelia need trimming?
Do they get planted into the substrate and grow roots? Or is it like riccia that needs to be attached to something?
They both need trimming but maybe once every 6 weeks or so. They are slow growers (especially the mini pellia) so you will need a lot to start off. If you do a dry start you can cut it up and spread it on the substrate or you can also attach them to something.

Check out Chad's journal. He has a nice fissiden carpet going on.

Chad's 125g...take 2... "LOST"

You can also check out Meow's journal. She has an all moss 12 gallon long.

Meow's 12G Long "Triple Summit" Updated 06/12/2014

I sure you'll come up with something great! Your reef tank room is awesome!
Kai808 is offline  
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,363
Since it's an office tank and you're new to this world of scaping planted tanks (though, obviously not new to tanking or amazing reef tanks!), I wouldn't go high-tech with CO2 and such. I'd consider things that are truly low maintenance like Crypts, Anubias and mosses. You can do some amazing things with just those three types of plants. Add in some small Hydrocotyle and other plants for impact and you're all set.

That'd mean you can use cheaper, more sleek lighting, won't have to do any work other than water changes and feeding.

Iwagumi is tons of fun but only if you have someone just as skilled as you to take care of things while you're on vacation.

For filtration, an Eheim 2213 or 2232 will provide the perfect amount of flow if you do a full-length spraybar. I've tried a 2215 and flow had to be metered down to the point of almost causing issues with the filter itself. Filter + sponge pre-filter = just right.
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Lighting you could use a Finnex Fuge Ray or Ray 2 or a simple T5 single or T8 or T12 fixture.
Thanks for the info!
Would the finnex lights need to be raised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
They both need trimming but maybe once every 6 weeks or so. They are slow growers (especially the mini pellia) so you will need a lot to start off. If you do a dry start you can cut it up and spread it on the substrate or you can also attach them to something.

Check out Chad's journal. He has a nice fissiden carpet going on.

Chad's 125g...take 2... "LOST"

You can also check out Meow's journal. She has an all moss 12 gallon long.

Meow's 12G Long "Triple Summit" Updated 06/12/2014

I sure you'll come up with something great! Your reef tank room is awesome!
Thanks for the links!
Looks like chad used some kind of matting material? But you're saying if I dry start it can go right in/on the substrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Since it's an office tank and you're new to this world of scaping planted tanks (though, obviously not new to tanking or amazing reef tanks!), I wouldn't go high-tech with CO2 and such. I'd consider things that are truly low maintenance like Crypts, Anubias and mosses. You can do some amazing things with just those three types of plants. Add in some small Hydrocotyle and other plants for impact and you're all set.

That'd mean you can use cheaper, more sleek lighting, won't have to do any work other than water changes and feeding.

Iwagumi is tons of fun but only if you have someone just as skilled as you to take care of things while you're on vacation.

For filtration, an Eheim 2213 or 2232 will provide the perfect amount of flow if you do a full-length spraybar. I've tried a 2215 and flow had to be metered down to the point of almost causing issues with the filter itself. Filter + sponge pre-filter = just right.
Yeah, i see where you are coming from.
I guess I hoped things could grow out a bit over a week or so and I could trim when i got back. What would be difficult to delegate would be any kind of dosing. I'd really want to limit co-worker participation to just feeding. I know even that can get tricky (I currently have a saltwater nano at the office) but everyone loves having the tank and seems to enjoy helping out once in a while.

I'll look into those plants you mentioned and do some searching on low-tech.
But I'd be curious to know if some co2 can still be implemented to encourage growth, stave off algae and just contribute to a healthier tank?

And the spray bar you mentioned... since I already have an MP10, can that replace the need for the bar? I also heard that having a powerhead can help chop up and better distribute the co2 bubbles (if i end up going that direction).
One thing I read somewhere about the smaller ECCO line like the 35 was that it was not enough flow for such a long tank. Again, was thinking maybe the MP10 would help?

Thanks for all the replies... very helpful! And thanks for the kind words on my reef tanks. At least you know I'll give this tank my best efforts.

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
d2mini is offline  
post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,363
MP10 = potential shrimp blender. You'll be better off not keeping shrimp if you want to use a powerhead like that. Using a spray bar eliminates the need for extra flow.

2232 (I have one on my 12gal) is perfect with a spray bar. In fact, I have the quick disconnect turned down a bit.

CO2 can be a good thing. But it won't be necessary at all if your lighting is in check. And if you want to keep anything other than Neos (many do but it's not always a good idea), I'd avoid it. Keeping lighting in check will mean you'll have no algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yeah, i see where you are coming from.
I guess I hoped things could grow out a bit over a week or so and I could trim when i got back. What would be difficult to delegate would be any kind of dosing. I'd really want to limit co-worker participation to just feeding. I know even that can get tricky (I currently have a saltwater nano at the office) but everyone loves having the tank and seems to enjoy helping out once in a while.

I'll look into those plants you mentioned and do some searching on low-tech.
But I'd be curious to know if some co2 can still be implemented to encourage growth, stave off algae and just contribute to a healthier tank?

And the spray bar you mentioned... since I already have an MP10, can that replace the need for the bar? I also heard that having a powerhead can help chop up and better distribute the co2 bubbles (if i end up going that direction).
One thing I read somewhere about the smaller ECCO line like the 35 was that it was not enough flow for such a long tank. Again, was thinking maybe the MP10 would help?

Thanks for all the replies... very helpful! And thanks for the kind words on my reef tanks. At least you know I'll give this tank my best efforts.
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
So just to clarify, are you saying we shouldn't use any powerhead in a tank with shrimp? I use vortechs because the flow is adjustable and it's push/pull is so wide compared to koralias. Plus the different modes and random flow. I currently run the mp10 on my 6g saltwater nano, and have MP60's running on the big tank, both with shrimp. Of course the shrimp are a lot bigger!

Is there a good reference somewhere for which plants would be best for a non-co2 tank?

Thanks!

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
d2mini is offline  
post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,363
Unless it has a sponge over the intake, you shouldn't use a powerhead in a shrimp tank. Sometimes the Koralia works out okay but even that can be a shrimp blender.

There are only a handful of plants that will require CO2. Most can be grown without CO2 and many will do fine (but grow slowly) in lower lighting levels.
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 180
Ok, I dumped in a bag of aquasoil and some ryuo stone and when i stepped back this is what appeared. The empty space would be light colored sand. I'll be mulling over/tweaking this for a bit.





MEANWHILE.... I really need some LIGHTS!!!!
I've been through the build threads and still confused. I guess I'm looking for something with medium light. Was looking for a finnex fugeray but having trouble finding the 36" and the two is too bright. Marineland? The new one from Fluval?

For plants I'm looking at doing a bunch of taiwan moss front and flame moss center with something taller in back.

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
d2mini is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome