d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - SHRIMP!!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

Search for aqua.vibrant on e bay. They have the 36" fugeray in stock.

Scape looks great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah that looks great! You're a natural.

On the FugeRay question, raising would be good but you could also add some floating plants if the light is too strong. Too bad they don't have a dimmer option.
post #18 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Floating plants can also do a lot of good when it comes to slowing algae and sucking up nitrates from the tank.

A lot of people going with Iwagumi style tanks don't want the floaters in there though. Personally I love Amazon Frogbit.
post #19 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Re: d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - GROUP BUILD!

Or you can let some stem plants grow all the way to the top and continue to drape across the surface.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #20 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad283 View Post
Search for aqua.vibrant on e bay. They have the 36" fugeray in stock.

Scape looks great
Thanks! I found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yeah that looks great! You're a natural.

On the FugeRay question, raising would be good but you could also add some floating plants if the light is too strong. Too bad they don't have a dimmer option.
Thank you! That's true about the floating plants. Either way, the regular fugeray should be plenty of light, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Floating plants can also do a lot of good when it comes to slowing algae and sucking up nitrates from the tank.

A lot of people going with Iwagumi style tanks don't want the floaters in there though. Personally I love Amazon Frogbit.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Or you can let some stem plants grow all the way to the top and continue to drape across the surface.
Thanks, yeah i have that now in my betta tank. I think this one will be a bit more minimal with shorter plants. I think.

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got the Fugeray!

Been staring at and slightly tweaking the scape, too. But overall I've stuck with the same layout. But still nervous about signing off on it and filling with water.

Now I just need to get the filter. Ended up leaning towards the 2213/15 for cost and track record. 13 will do if it can handle the 36" length. Thoughts?

Oh, and i happen to have some sand sitting here that was left over from my reef tank setup. It's Dowell Sea Floor aragonite and says it's good for marine, reef and african cichlids, due to the high ph. Since I'm only going to use it in the "river", will it be pretty much harmless? Or should I get something else?
It's still in the (open) bag, never seen water.

Here's some iphone pics of the current setup...

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bump for the sand question and any final thoughts on the eheim.

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - GROUP BUILD!

Scape looks great! The substrate looks very thin nearing the river, i believe it may not be ideal depth for some plants but that depends on what you're planting of course. Can't comment on your other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Current Tank: ADA 120P Iwagumi
[Buildup Questions 120P Lighting? | 120P Filter?] | 120P Hardscape?
Previous Tank: 7.9g Fluval Flora
post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

Really good scape. I really like the look of that big rock on the right side, but having it facing towards the front of the tank kind of shades right under it, so depending on if you go with a carpeting plant you might wanna flip it around so it faces the other way so you don't get that one spot to lack light.

I think the sand is a super cool idea and would add a lot, the only problem is i feel that when a lot of people go for a mix and have a small section sand that the multiple substrates get mixed and then it just looks dirty. If you can keep it clean though and not have them mix it would look awesome

Travis
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Looking nice. Substrate depth near the sandy areas will be fine - I routinely have similar depths with no issues in my tanks. Even when it comes to plants and rooting.

As far as the "sand" (aragonite) you mention, don't use it - it's going to mess your paramaters up. The amount you'll be using would be enough to shoot your hardness up and put your pH at 8+ for an extended period. Go with nice pool filter sand or some other decorative, tiny gravel. (Though, if it were me, I'd ditch the sand pathway completely, fill it with soil and use a plant of some sort of carpeting species that's different than the rest of the tank - use the plant to be the pathway - sand will eventually get dirty.)

Eheim 2213 is perfect for this tank when using a spray bar. I've used both 2213 and 2232 (Ecco) with no issues. Even have to turn the flow down a bit.

Have you made any decisions on CO2? You'll have to use it + ferts unless you raise the fixture.
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments!

Big rock... yeah it looks worse in the pic but i went ahead and straightened it a smidge. Plus the light was pushed way back when i took the pics. There is almost no shadow at all the way it sits now.

Eheim... ok i'll order the 2213. Thanks!
But will a spray bar mess with the look of this layout???

Sand... bummer! would have been convenient to use what i already had especially when i only need a couple cups worth. Maybe I can find a light colored soil to use instead of sand. I liked the idea of a completely different texture and color there. My plan is to use a lot of mosses in the tank so what do you think would be cool to plant as the "river"?

co2... well, i originally planned to go the co2 route in my initial post but that idea got poo-poo'd for maintenance reasons. I'm still open to the idea. I purposely got the regular fugeray, not the 2, but sounds like it still may be too much.

Oh, and what about a heater? I've seen some inlines for canister filters. Would like to keep things as clean as possible. Suggestions?

Thanks!

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I agree the coral sand would be undesireable to use in a planted environment.

I would recommend ADA Cosmetic Sand, they have lots of natural types, textures, sizes and colors. Small bag should be plenty and not too expensive. If you drop by ADG, Frank should help you out.

I think the green spraybar would be distracting. ADA makes a glass spraybar, 2,3 and 4ft version, but they only come with the Waterfall series of tanks. I would ask Frank if you could order one as a replacement part or something, which I am sure is possible because what if one were to break, you would need a replacement.
I do wonder why they don't offer them for sale separately specifically, I think they would sell quite a few.

For the heater, I would recommend the Hydor inline heaters.
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah or I guess I could just make my own spray bar.
In this style tank would you run it across the top of the tank?

-dennis
12g Long Shrimp Tank
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Check some of the many 12gal long journals here on the forum for spray bar ideas. You could use acrylic, PVC, even cheap rigid tubing. All depends on the aesthetic you want.

The easiest would be to use rigid tubing or PVC. Either could be painted to match your background.
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another option instead of the spraybar is a jet lily pipe. I just set mine up with one and the thing has crazy flow in a big circular pattern. It's on an eheim 2232 which has a very similar gph rating to the 2213 (127 vs 116).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode