Jiinx's 79 G Planted Garden - updated july 28! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jiinx's 79 G Planted Garden - updated july 28!

Hi there,
I've been so nervous about posting my tank. After some prompting and nudging from crazydaz, I thought I'd give it a shot

I first started out with fish about two years ago with a betta in those lonely cups. I had zero idea about how to take care of it. I cleaned out its small 2.5 G tank every week. Yes, cleaned it! It got dropsy after a few months. I was devastated. I got a few more Fluval Tanks (Edge and Chi) and then settled with a MarineLand 55 G bowfront.

I learned about the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate cycle. I got some mollies, platies, guppies. Livebearers? SO cool! I got so many! lol..that feeling got very old very fast. "What do you mean they can keep giving birth!?"

In the spirit of going bigger, I wanted to get a better tank. I was done with the bowfront and went on to starfire - my current 79 G!

So, someone really should have told me that planted tanks are NOT easy. I did a search on Planted tanks and I stumbled on Tom's Planted Dutch scape and I was hooked. I just had this fantasy in my head that all I needed was plants and voila, it'll look as good as that. Um. No.

I set up my milwaukee co2 solenoid and regulator, and it went pop and it stopped working.

Fast forward a month or two and I got BBA galore. It was the only thing that was growing well. Co2 was an obvious issue so I asked Matt F. on barrreport to build me a regulator. Let me tell you, newbies, invest in a proper regulator! It'll last you until the end of your hobby. My regulator is amazing!

This was my tank initially. I got plants from Barr and Crispino.

I got more plants...but just got more algae.

plants crying for help...

Belems didn't last long needless to say..

I was so frustrated. It lasted a few more months until I stumbled onto crazydaz's 200 G prior to his latest scape!

Last edited by Jiinx; 07-28-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Crazydaz was shutting down his tank and I asked him for a few cuttings! Not only did I get amazing plants, that I still have, but I got to pick his brain and he really helped me through my tank. Thanks, Don!

So this was my tank after all his plants.

The colours from his plants started fading and I got hit by BBA again. Nothing was growing well.

I really did try everything.
I got another filter.
I increased my co2.
I decreased and increased my ferts.

Finally, I got a new light. I got a SunTek to replace my Coralife. So it went from sitting 2.5 inches above the tank to a good 6 inches above the tank.

It made a world of a difference. Right away. I still had BBA but stable.

I stumbled upon DarkCobra's one, two, Punch with h2o2 and excel and I followed it to the T. BBA? Gone. Came back? Nope! Growth? Healthy! Colours? Beautiful!

Tank today...

One of my Badis badis..love them.

One of my apistos - such a mean bugger. Waiting for dinner.

Best oto ..zebras!

Persicaria "ruby"

My favourite plant..A. variegated introduced by Don..and I got some more from jojo/manini!

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And that's all I have so far!

I had BBA for nearly half a year. It's the worst feeling when your tank looks better with the lights OFF than on.

This hobby takes so much patience and time. It's my third child

I still have algae - green spot algae on the glass and a bit of bba on the substrate but it is absolutely nothing to what I went through. I feel like I've learned a lot and I still have more to learn!

Thanks for looking! Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

sarah
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Jiinx's 79 G Planted Garden

Tank looks great as do its inhabitants. I struggle with that stuff everytime I set up a new tank or redo one. It usually takes me a few months to get everything right.

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Seems you are on the right path ! Tank looks great congrats !
Whats the fish at the bottom of picture 3 ?

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks dude! I didn't realize it would take so long or even the amount of effort it takes. I definitely didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel for my tank. It was just so so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Seems you are on the right path ! Tank looks great congrats !
Whats the fish at the bottom of picture 3 ?
Thank you! Hopefully I can stay on the right path! That fish is a fire red apisto!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful setup!

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Looks great, Sarah! Your patience has really paid off, and you should pat yourself on the back! Keep on keepin' on, gf!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm..GSA is getting a bit spread out onto my leaves and my glass. I increased my N and P a bit. Hoping it's just a phase as my lighting period hasn't increased at all. Perhaps my fertilizing routine needs to be adjusted now that I have a lot of healthy growth.

Just a bit of a trim. Bunched my pantanal and tornado.

My ET is out of control! I just feel bad throwing it in the garbage. My fishes love burrowing and swimming through it

A. sp variegated!

I want to scape the front of my tank. I have ET on either side. Three patches of downoi, 60 plus nodes of marselia minuta, and a whack load of hygro araguaia. I just don't know how to arrange them. Any ideas?

sarah
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GMYukonon24s - thank you! I really appreciate you checking out the thread and your comments!

Thanks, Don! I'm really chuffed I've come this far. It's far from perfect, but I'm still proud of it nonetheless!

sarah
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Love the driftwood at the top.....looks really pretty! You will need to trim the ET or it will detach from the substrate.

In terms of foreground arrangement....I really don't know what to suggest! The ET will likely need to go....it grows so quickly. Maybe try some HM or HC to make "hedges" and perhaps do an offset row of Hygro araguaia......I would let the minuta take over and fill in.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just another small update. I'm trying to bunch up the plants and create 'clusters'! It's exciting for me because I've never had plants growing so well - ever!
FTS

Toninas look a bit misplaced..

Moved the r. nangenshan

l. repens 'red' from jojo

that's it. thanks for looking! Comments, suggestions are welcomed! I'm wondering if I should pull the ET and put crypts? I love the lushness but not sure what to do with all my ET.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm so glad you posted this! I've always enjoyed pics of your tank. You have a lot to be proud of - not just the tank itself, but your persistence as well!

Sorry I can be of no help with the scaping questions, it's not my forte. Yours is already better scaped than anything I can come up with.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

I agree with you....those tonina should be moved, and the 'pantanal' (I think?) grouped a bit more tightly together.

However, this system is sooooo much nicer now! So clean and "sparkly" when compared to some of the.....Before Times. You've done so well, Sarah!
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

i love the Oto Zebra. did you have problem with them ? i heard they were more difficult to keep vs 'common' oto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode