So I've been keeping track of my project on another forums as well, not sure why it didn't post on this site last time I tried but I thought id try and toss the thread back up one more time!
Posted up a video of my tank instead of some pictures! Feel from to comment and w/e people do on youtube!
Started with soaking the organic soil for 2-3 days to get all the floaters out, then laid that down for the bottom layers, then got a think layer of flourite and rinsed it out thoroughly, then a nice layer of eco-complete, and waiting for my black sand flourite to show up so I can cap the whole thing off with 2 inches give or take a couple cm.
I have a 46 Gallon Bowfront with what I believe is at least a 150W Heater, 1 AquaClear 50 Filter I'm using on low flow for now because all the filter media had been used in a good clean established tank, a AquaClear 70 for my main filter but probably just run on low as well, and finally a Marineland Reef Capable light.
2/2/2013 Photo Update!!!
So I got some of my plants and still soaking my drift wood to get the tannins out, and got my tap water tested and it was terrible at both places it was tested at so I got plant water for pretty dang cheap at AquaTouch just to be safe and 20 bucks didn't break the bank and I was able to fill up all my tanks with the water I got. So when I get more plants and add the driftwood I will get a update then another after I start getting fish!
Adopted 2 Neon and Red Flame Gourmaies from someone who was giving them away and they we're gorgeous and didn't want them to get stuck somewhere they wouldn't be taken care of due to them just being free! I also surprisingly found a Anibius Nana for cheap at Petco on Happy Valley, add the extra driftwood since it had been a few days since nothing was leeching from them. I also found my old filter media for my 50 Gallon filter to help speedup cycling the tank along with the fish and various other things in the tank.
The tank is cycling really fast and all levels are looking great thus far, I added one small pieteit plant on a rock in the back and a few rocks I bought just to fill in some of the empty bland spots.
Last major change done to the tank before I add the Co2 to the tank which wont show to much, but I got 3 otto cat fish and they've already made a good diffence in the algae I had growing and I got 3 amanos for my cleaning grew as well for 2 bucks each at petco!
Allot of my plants started pearling today I thought maybe it was just bubbles from the air wand but I was wrong since it had not even been plugged in since the night before! So I am super stoked about that happening also my Ich problem has been taken down by allot and most of my fish are looking great even my Rainbow how had it really bad just lost her giant cyst as I was looking at the tank so I dossed a small amount of rid ich to hopefully kill any of the parasites that would emerge from it, right off the bat. Now on to the sad news I did lose 1 dwarf gourami to unrelated ich problems I was not able to find out what happened but may the little guy RIP!
So day after my B-Day and I decided to take a picture of the tank and how well it is doing even after my Ich attack! My dwarf Sag is growing out of control along with every other plant in the tank even the anubius is growing quite fast root wise. I started dossing Seachem Iron, Potassium, and Excel and I can say I see a major difference the days I dose then on the days I am just using Co2. I also gave two of the Gourami's away and got 1 Male and 1 Female Dwarf Rainbow in their place. OOOOOOOH and I added a extra light in the back that came with the tank it's just 1 T5 light just because I didn't want it to just go to waste!