The Planted Tank Forum banner

H4N "Planted Tank ROOM"

98K views 473 replies 131 participants last post by  h4n 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

As some of you know I've been very busy with my latest and greatest project you can say.

One of my dreams have finally landed on my door step.

My own room for aquariums!!!!

My brother in law had a motorcycle attached to our home for two years. And had a construction trailer that he used for his showroom area.
Well 3 weeks ago I found out he was moving down the road and merging with another motorcycle business.
Which left a trailer empty!!!!

I got permission from my mother inlaw to turn it into anything I wanted.

Fast forward to last weekend.

Construction starts!!!

Worked on it all weekend!!
Not bad for about 20hours put in with me and my friend.
Thats inlcuding a 3 hour trip at home depot!!!

Here are a few pictures of the whole process:

We forgot to take pictures before we started to strip down the walls.

It had peg board all around and then it had wood paneling under it.

We then reinsulated with better insulation.

Then we had to put up a wall and door.
The entire trailer was to big for me and my budget.
If I reinsulate that part would of put me over my budget.

We also then vapor barrier the whole room.

Then instead of building racks out of 2x4 I decided not to and just buy racks. Just in case I ever have to move I can take everything with me and saved on some time.

Plumbed the heating from the hvac system the house already uses.
Ran a line over, Y into two register in the walk we made.

Dyson Hot + Cool heater:
This thing puts out some heat!!!
And costs about $1-$2 per day to keep the room at 65 degrees.
Not bad at all!!!
Had to get alterative heater source as the Hvac system only has a thermostat in our living room. SO basically if the living room keeps at temp it will never kick on leaving the tank room cool and with high oil prices. The Dyson heater will work much better.

Shrimp rack:
Will add more tanks as I move along on the project.

Complete work sink for the corner of the room.
Going be much easier doing water changes and such!

A bit more cleaning/organizing and a bunch of small things to finish then I'll can start filling tanks!!!

So I only bought one 4ft x 4 T5HO hydroponic lighting to try out with my DIY PAR meter.
Looks like it should be great for high lighting.

Has 2x 6,400k bulbs and 2x 10k bulbs. The color and the light output is amazing!!!
I will buy a bunch more soon.
So far I only got 6x 40b but will be getting much more as the project moves along. Or the next Petco $1/g sale lol!!!
Some will use preloaded Safe T Sorb and the others will be ADA Aqua Soil- NEW Amazonia

I also lined each rack with waterproof vinyl
Just incase so water doesnt absorb into the wood.

I will also have a 55g emersed tank under the 40b

Then there be more tanks because ill be moving the rest of my tanks from the house into the room. (beside the nanos)
So it will be packed in there!!!

The shrimp rack has 4ft 2 x T8 on each shelf
Should be enough for mosses/anubias/ferns
I will mod them with some refective tap and maybe a refective shield between the two bulb to add a bit more light If I need it.
All the tanks will have different substrate for each kind of shrimps and 2 sponge filter and a corner filter. Over filter!!!

And the rack near the the couch will be my indoor garden area.
Bonsai/veggie/herb/plants.
I will have the same lighting fixture over the 40b over this rack but probably 6x bulbs.
Since it will be raised much higher.

So if you've been wondering why i've been super busy and orders havent been shipped out quicker then normal, you know why!!!! :)

Thanks for looking!!!

See less See more
#26 ·
Ya thing is awsome!!! It doesnt feel hot but man after an hour it took the room from 35 to 60 degrees.

Wow you have been busy ! You are going to leave that Leather sofa in right ? Sit back with a beer and watch the tanks.... sounds like heaven !

yup sofa staying. I don't drink but I sat back and watched the heater yesterday lol!!

So awesome. Dream come true. A dedicated room. "Leave me alone woman...you'll know where to find me if you need me...."

she loves the idea that she gets her spare room and laundry room back lol!! Oh and coffee table haha.

Nice bro. Might have to stop by again some time. :)
Come on by! :)

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

#16 ·
Wow you have been busy ! You are going to leave that Leather sofa in right ? Sit back with a beer and watch the tanks.... sounds like heaven !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.